MC Gas Tank paint advice

SoCalDave

Young Tutorling
IMG_8065.jpg IMG_8063.jpg First time attempting an airbrush project on a tank and fender. I found these on eBay and thought it would be a fun project if nothing else to get some practice. I have managed to get all the dents pounded straight and filled. Laying down the 2K urethane filler primer today. My plan is find the best deal on a metallic base silver and spray it with my HVLP gun. Followed by a couple coats of an intercoat clear. Wet sand then tape and do some airbrush work. I been doing a lot of searches here and trying to decide on the best airbrush paint and reducer. I'm thinking of using some candy or trans colors, with some opaque black for some shadow work. As far as paint I'm thinking maybe using the "wicked detail" line or "Inspire". I plan on finishing everything with a 2K urethane clear. I'm hoping someone with some more experience can assure me that I'm on the right track. Also, can I use the same 2k urethane clear on top of my base metallic coat to work as an intercoat clear? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 62539 View attachment 62540 First time attempting an airbrush project on a tank and fender. I found these on eBay and thought it would be a fun project if nothing else to get some practice. I have managed to get all the dents pounded straight and filled. Laying down the 2K urethane filler primer today. My plan is find the best deal on a metallic base silver and spray it with my HVLP gun. Followed by a couple coats of an intercoat clear. Wet sand then tape and do some airbrush work. I been doing a lot of searches here and trying to decide on the best airbrush paint and reducer. I'm thinking of using some candy or trans colors, with some opaque black for some shadow work. As far as paint I'm thinking maybe using the "wicked detail" line or "Inspire". I plan on finishing everything with a 2K urethane clear. I'm hoping someone with some more experience can assure me that I'm on the right track. Also, can I use the same 2k urethane clear on top of my base metallic coat to work as an intercoat clear? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Looks good Dave. Wicked paints will be fine, and Candy2o range might be something to look into also. You can use 2k clear as an Intercoat. I find it buried flake better and with less coats than regular Intercoat.

Back