Metal Craft Industries Panel review

R

rab3rd

https://www.metalcraftindustries.net/index.aspx

I decided to start a new thread on the review of these panels. I will be posting in steps so that I can get a review to everyone a little faster than if I waited until I finished a painting on one. First I will do an unpacking with general comments.

I have to say that so far I am impressed with Metal Craft Industries overall. The customer service is very good. I ordered (12) 12" X 18" X 0.025" panels. They are basically powder coated panels. Unlike the panels you can buy from a certain airbrush supplier, they are glossy on both sides. At a cost of $3.65 they are about half the cost of the others.

After I ordered the owner of the company was speaking with the sales rep and had her call me to see if I wanted the edges deburred as he remembered a previous artist asking for that service. It is not an option that is selectable on the website at time of order. The cost to do it is only $0.25 per panel and well worth it to not have to do it once the panel arrive. I guess you would need to call in your order to get the deburring service.

The 12 panels with deburring and shipping cost roughy 60 bucks.

The unpacking.

The packing was top notch, no way these babies were getting damaged in shipment.

The box was taped up very good and this is the view of it just opened. As you can see there is styrofoam around all four sides to prevent any corner damage.

PanelUnpack1.jpg

Here the packing paper is removed.

PanelUnpack2.jpg

Here you can see that the panels are sandwiched between to thick plastic boards to protect the surface.

PanelUnpack3.jpg

Here is a picture of the stack completely unpacked.

PanelUnpack4.jpg

Here I am trying to show how smooth and glossy the surface of these panels are but its hard to capture that in a photo. The panels are very smooth and have a high gloss finish on both sides.

PanelUnpack5.jpg

That concludes the unpacking. I will add more to the review once I get a chance to paint on one of these panels. I will say however that if anyone wants to order a few to try out, I don't see any reason that these panels won't work good for airbrush painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to sacrifice one of these as a practice panel and paint an eye. I know I can clean it and start over so no biggie. Also two sided so twice the practice area. ;-)

That is a great price. Do they happen to offer rounded corners? Other sizes?

EDIT: Just follow the link lazy. Answered my own questions .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they offer rounded corners, predrilled holes for mounting. Lots of options. They even offer colored panels but you have to buy the 0.04" thick ones if thats what you need.

If you call in an order be sure and tell them Rob sent you and that you are an airbrush artist. ;-)

I have so much otter stuff to paint in right now. I want to order, but think I will wait, have to either sell some pieces or use up the stock I already have.

Will definitely keep it in mind though.

I painted that eye. First let me say a couple things. Don't judge the panel based on my eye. Its not my best and I have a couple of things you should consider. First my hands are really sore from two days of racing and second, I don't have a lot of practice time on hard surfaces.

My impressions are that these panels are just like spraying on glass. I didn't scuff this before I did it so it would be easier to clean off. Just like glass, once you get a few light passes of paint down it gets easier to avoid skate. I assume that to be true with all hard surfaces, not just this panel and glass. The panels take paint good and hold a crisp line if you have the hand for it. Im not going to clear this as I intend to clean it and continue to use it as a practice panel.

Im not sure what else I can say as far as a review goes. Maybe if anyone has any questions I can try an answer them. As far as a clear coat goes, Im sure a recommendation from Metal Craft Industries is only a phone call away.

Now look into my eye! You're getting sleepy...

NewPanelEye.jpg

Ignore that second eye. I attached the wrong one at first.

Attachments

• MetalPanEye.jpg
    MetalPanEye.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 10
Dang two days of racing up and down and your hands are sore...LOL Sorry Rob ya know I have to do it....

So did you win the races ?
Anyway Doing the glass prepared you for the metal panels , Now pic a really cool painting you have been waiting to do . and paint it.
Give you hands a few days to rest you gripped the steering wheel to tight .. Rookie mistake ......LMAO

Scuff that puppy! A scuffed panel will help eliminate spidering. Also helps the paint adhere. As for clear. Rattle can lacquer is fine for wall hangings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dang two days of racing up and down and your hands are sore...LOL Sorry Rob ya know I have to do it....

So did you win the races ?
Anyway Doing the glass prepared you for the metal panels , Now pic a really cool painting you have been waiting to do . and paint it.
Give you hands a few days to rest you gripped the steering wheel to tight .. Rookie mistake ......LMAO

I did not win but I placed 10th overall out of 31 and 7th in my weight group of 20 or so. I know not to grip too tight but this course (city streets of Lockhart Texas) was VERY rough. The final was on day two in the rain. It was a challenge to say the least. There isn't a muscle in my body thats not sore. ;-)

Scuff that puppy! A scuffed panel will help eliminate spidering. Also helps the paint adhere. As for clear. Rattle can lacquer is fine for wall hangings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep that will help, but I wanted to clean this one off and if its not scuffed its a lot easier to clean. ;-)

I decided to go ahead and clear that practice eye. I used rustoleum in a rattle can and it sprayed just fine. I can say with certainty that if you want a decent price on a pre-prepped panel that you can paint on, these are your panels. I hope at least one of you finds this review useful and places an order. This is an American owned and operated company that works hard for Americans.

Rob

How was the shipping? I have a list on paper, of various sizes, just never went so far as to add to cart to calculate shipping. I keep buying surfaces to paint on and don't have enough time for all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It was 18 dollars to ship those 12 panels UPS ground. Coming from Florida to Texas it took like three days if I remember correctly. I was a little preoccupied with getting ready for an out of town street race at that time.

Also if you do want the deburring call them and talk to Martha. That is what she told me to tell everyone. I have been conversing with her via email during all this and the company is aware and following this post. So if anyone orders be sure to leave comments here for them to see...

Also, I am not getting anything out of this so my review is unbiased...

It's great info Rob, so thanks, this will be great for all of us aspiring painters on metals. Uniform, quality panels, at a good price is awesome.

Back