Micron or Infinity... decisons... decisions...

F

foreveryoung001

Since all of my airbrushing work lately has been demanding of a lot of detail, I've decided to add another AB to my arsenal. I've always had my eye on the H&S infinity, but there is no doubt that there are a lot of Micron lovers and so I've also been looking at the CM-C Plus.

I currently have a Krome set up as my detail brush, and get some great results. I'm after the kind of brush that will just make getting those extreme details with a bit less stress. My Krome just gets finicky and within minutes, during the same painting session, it will go from perfect to nightmare without warning. Then I'll have to mess with my reductions to get it dialed in again. Not the end of the world, but I'd really like a brush that isn't so temperamental, set the Krome up with the .3 needle/nozzle, and just retire my old Paasche.

I was all set to pick up an Infinity, but lately, I've seen a lot of reviews saying that I may end up with a brush that is just as temperamental, or maybe even worse, than my Krome. So I'm hesitating now. I mean, if an Infinity isn't going to make my life easier, I might as well just pick up a second Krome, and keep one set up with the .2 and one with the .3

So, then I started investigating the Microns, and am now intrigued by the CM-C plus. Obviously there is a huge cost difference, but that isn't my main concern. I'm really just looking for some thoughts from the Micron and Infinity users, on how temperamental they find these different brushes.

And as I look at costs, do the Infinity users find that they are constantly replacing needles? I've seen a lot of reviews saying that the Infinity needles seem to be much softer than any other manufacturer and people are bending them just by picking off the tip dry. Go through enough of them, and that will eventually negate the cost difference between the two brushes.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks All.

I feel your pain with the Krome. And am also thinking along your same lines. My decision is a bit easier. I have badger brushes and Iwata brushes, a 3 rd set of parts would just be a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've played with an Infinity and think you can get the same detail as with a Micron. The Micron is not perfect, but very close. Still finnicky if the paint is to thick. But when you get it right, it is awesome and it just goes one for hours. I never strip mine doen completely. Just take the head off and remove the needle, give a 20 clean and it is ready for the next session. But I only use Com-art and Marissa Etac in it. I still nees to test Wicked.

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN GOOD !!!!! I agree with andeza 100% i nevver ever have to adjust or remove or replace my needle bearing or nozzle i dont bother with ultra sonic cleaners or fancy ab cleaners and i hav not yet had to take the nozzle off the fluid head. I also never bother with teflon taping the fluid head or regulator thats not necessary with the micron i just un screw the fluid head once in a while and run a wee bit of cotton on the needle up the fluid head to get out any loose paint or when i switch from blk to wht also YOU SHOULD GET THE CMSB I highly recomend it you can use the plastic cups that are for the aztec and there dirt cheap i recomend the original cups for the micron easier too clean. and the needle and nozzle are smaller .no cup in the way you dont realy need the mac valve and its a bit cheaper . the other and more impotent reason is that super fine needle that comes with the infinity is super easy to bend . how an airbrush with a visibly much larger needle like the micron cmsb can paint constantly much finer thain the super fine infinity is a mystery to me lol GET THE MICRON CMSB GET IT FROM COAST !!!!!

I've played with an Infinity and think you can get the same detail as with a Micron. The Micron is not perfect, but very close. Still finnicky if the paint is to thick. But when you get it right, it is awesome and it just goes one for hours. I never strip mine doen completely. Just take the head off and remove the needle, give a 20 clean and it is ready for the next session. But I only use Com-art and Marissa Etac in it. I still nees to test Wicked.

Dont leave wicked in there, i can get away with leaving etac overnight. But wicked will cause you some nasty dried up stuff

Yeah. I have had to use lacquer thinner to remove wicked from my brushes.

Love the Micron's they are very accurate, we will have an special offer on the Micron's free shipping worldwide.

Grex paints are rebranded ETac, I found some on Amazon, then ordered direct from USairbrush.

LISTEN TO ME AND LISTEN GOOD !!!!! I agree with andeza 100% i nevver ever have to adjust or remove or replace my needle bearing or nozzle i dont bother with ultra sonic cleaners or fancy ab cleaners and i hav not yet had to take the nozzle off the fluid head. I also never bother with teflon taping the fluid head or regulator thats not necessary with the micron i just un screw the fluid head once in a while and run a wee bit of cotton on the needle up the fluid head to get out any loose paint or when i switch from blk to wht also YOU SHOULD GET THE CMSB I highly recomend it you can use the plastic cups that are for the aztec and there dirt cheap i recomend the original cups for the micron easier too clean. and the needle and nozzle are smaller .no cup in the way you dont realy need the mac valve and its a bit cheaper . the other and more impotent reason is that super fine needle that comes with the infinity is super easy to bend . how an airbrush with a visibly much larger needle like the micron cmsb can paint constantly much finer thain the super fine infinity is a mystery to me lol GET THE MICRON CMSB GET IT FROM COAST !!!!!

Darn you Ferret!!!! Now you got me looking at another one. I like the idea of those little Aztek cups, but geez.... now I've got even more research to do. LOL. I do like the idea of the mac valve, just because I tend to mess with with my air pressures when the Krome isn't spraying well, but I can always deal with that with adding one inline somewhere, as I was going to do with the Infinity. This is getting way to confusing. Maybe I'll just take up oil painting instead (wink wink).

I've got both the Infinity and Micron CM-SB, and both are excelent airbrushes and you get fine lines from both, just play with paint reduction and pressure. Personally I prefer the SB paint atomization and the way I feel the airbrush during work. Also think that is easier to clean than the Infinity. You also must think on spare parts, Micron parts are very expensive.. you need to take care a Micron like if it is made from crystal :). Best thing is to try both Micron and Infinity,to feel wich one of them you like most ( If you have the opotunity of course ).

i havent thought of it but harder stienbeck have an adjutsable valve that screws onto the infinity it should also fit a micron. as far as wiked paint goes i dont even mess around with it anymore although i do like there sepia. but dont dare to fall asleep with paint in the gun big mistake another great point aboot the micron cmsb is its super easy to change collors even from blk to wht

So a new question for the micron users... I've read in previous threads, that if you bend a needle, that several people are replacing, not only a $20 needle, but the entire head assembly. Are the tolerances that extreme? Is it impossible to replace just a needle? I don't bend them often, but it has happened. I can handle the cost of needle from time to time, but more than that, and it may make my decision a bit easier.

i havent thought of it but harder stienbeck have an adjutsable valve that screws onto the infinity it should also fit a micron. as far as wiked paint goes i dont even mess around with it anymore although i do like there sepia. but dont dare to fall asleep with paint in the gun big mistake another great point aboot the micron cmsb is its super easy to change collors even from blk to wht

No worries on the Wicked. I only use E'tac now. I've been a fan of the Private Stock, but if I move to smaller Needle/nozzle set up, I will most likely move to EFX for that detail work. But whether I switch up lines or not, I am sold on E'tac.

No worries on the Wicked. I only use E'tac now. I've been a fan of the Private Stock, but if I move to smaller Needle/nozzle set up, I will most likely move to EFX for that detail work. But whether I switch up lines or not, I am sold on E'tac.

I don't have a Micron, but I can tell you that with EFX, the Infinity can pull some insane detail.
EFX works with almost zero reduction with the .15 nozzle, it has had me reconsider buying a Micron.
I will likely buy one in the future at some point anyway, because I am starting to become an airbrush hoarder. LOL

If you're looking for a crazy-tight detail brush, I'd have to second airbrushingferret's suggestion- get a CM-SB. I have two, and wouldn't mind a couple more. lol. I use a Grex G-MAC inline MAC valve, and like that a lot better than the integrated MAC valves. For one, buy a couple extra QD's,, and you get a MAC valve on every airbrush, not just one. Two, I simply like the balance better.

The Infinity is a nice brush, but I've found that the needles and nozzles tend to wear out, which, like you said, really negates the price difference. Also, don't buy it because it looks pretty, because the surface finishes wear off or tarnish pretty quickly (the CR models, with actual chrome plating, are probably better about that, though). It's definitely more tempramental than the CM's. Mostly because of it's .15 nozzle. If you get a .2 set, it's less picky, and the difference in detail ability is barely effected.

One of the reason I like the microns so much is how trouble-free they are for me. If I'm spraying EFX, I typically don't reduce it at all, maybe a couple drops of water into the color cup if it's one of "those" days. Much of that is because of the matched head unit, and the more even airflow it's design provides. It atomizes better, allows tighter detail, lower air pressures, less reduction is required, seems to get less tip dry. Lets just say life has gotten easier since I started using a micron ;-)

Since you're in Michigan (northern part of Michigan, or UP?) I'm guessing your seasons are pretty much the same as they are here in Wisconsin. I'm sure you've noticed that as the air gets colder and drier (i.e. now) airbrushes and paints tend to get more tempramental. E'Tac Condition-air is a God-Send in helping with that. Also, keep your paints warm (if it's E'Tac, it's not flammable, so you can put a space heater right near them to keep them warm.)

A CM-C or CM-C+ will obviously be less tempramental, since they have a .23 nozzle. But, the .18 in the "B" microns is better if you want detail.

As far as the spare parts- as long as the needle didn't damage the nozzle, there's no need to replace the head unit. If it did damage the nozzle, you CAN buy just a new nozzle and put it in your headset. You may not get optimum performance, but it will still work just fine. Obviously, replacing the whole unit is preferable, though.

If you're looking for a crazy-tight detail brush, I'd have to second airbrushingferret's suggestion- get a CM-SB. I have two, and wouldn't mind a couple more. lol. I use a Grex G-MAC inline MAC valve, and like that a lot better than the integrated MAC valves. For one, buy a couple extra QD's,, and you get a MAC valve on every airbrush, not just one. Two, I simply like the balance better.

The Infinity is a nice brush, but I've found that the needles and nozzles tend to wear out, which, like you said, really negates the price difference. Also, don't buy it because it looks pretty, because the surface finishes wear off or tarnish pretty quickly (the CR models, with actual chrome plating, are probably better about that, though). It's definitely more tempramental than the CM's. Mostly because of it's .15 nozzle. If you get a .2 set, it's less picky, and the difference in detail ability is barely effected.

One of the reason I like the microns so much is how trouble-free they are for me. If I'm spraying EFX, I typically don't reduce it at all, maybe a couple drops of water into the color cup if it's one of "those" days. Much of that is because of the matched head unit, and the more even airflow it's design provides. It atomizes better, allows tighter detail, lower air pressures, less reduction is required, seems to get less tip dry. Lets just say life has gotten easier since I started using a micron ;-)

Since you're in Michigan (northern part of Michigan, or UP?) I'm guessing your seasons are pretty much the same as they are here in Wisconsin. I'm sure you've noticed that as the air gets colder and drier (i.e. now) airbrushes and paints tend to get more tempramental. E'Tac Condition-air is a God-Send in helping with that. Also, keep your paints warm (if it's E'Tac, it's not flammable, so you can put a space heater right near them to keep them warm.)

A CM-C or CM-C+ will obviously be less tempramental, since they have a .23 nozzle. But, the .18 in the "B" microns is better if you want detail.

As far as the spare parts- as long as the needle didn't damage the nozzle, there's no need to replace the head unit. If it did damage the nozzle, you CAN buy just a new nozzle and put it in your headset. You may not get optimum performance, but it will still work just fine. Obviously, replacing the whole unit is preferable, though.

Thanks for the info. The only concern I have with switching to EFX is that it is re-wettable, and I am the first to admit, my airbrushing technique might not be the best for that. I use my fingers for distancing, when I'm up close, and I could easily see myself forgetting to dry them thoroughly and ending up smudging the paint with a damp finger. I've fallen in love with the AG modifier, so I'm wondering if a couple of drops of the AG would help make the EFX a little less temperamental when it gets damp. I've sent a question off to E'tac about that, but I may just have to learn how to keep my hands dry.

And I agree with you on the appearance of the airbrush... however.... a sexy airbrush, like the infinity, might make me more sexy too... LOL

Just asked my wife if using a sexy airbrush would make me more sexy.... ummmmm..... she just laughed.... then when she was done wiping the tears out of her eyes, she said, "You are already to sexy!" and then busted out laughing again. Not sure she was being sincere.

Of course, then she asked which Airbrush was more expensive, and when I told her the less sexy looking one.... she changed her mind and said, "The cheaper, sexier one would absolutely make me more sexy"... then started laughing again....

I just don't get woman. LOL

As of now, I am definitely leaning towards the CM-SB, but am still trying to read up on some of the online reviews. I'm sure this won't be the last airbrush I ever buy, but I do want to invest wisely and get the right tool for what I'm after.

wow the wet finger and smudge i did that on my super awesome leighton meetsa painting and again on sonmething else as i to use my fingers im not sure if its a bad habit but i doint see anything bad coming from it and its helpfill sometimes . you learn prety quick and for the sexy airbrush thing i to admit i told my self i had to have the infinity bexcause of all the diferant nozzle sets cup sizes andwhat ever but the fact is that .15 needle is so easy to bend i went a couple of months where it seemed i was ordering another needle every week or 2 I have so many infinity needles its not funny including the shipping costs i could get a new fluid head and needle for the micron seriously. and yiou know what i had only that one incident that my ghost pushed my micron out of the ab holder that was it i never had to replace one part on it however i have polished the needle it was dingd about a bit i dont use caps never have and never will iwould like to get anew head and nozzle one day just to see if itl work even better . last thing i was going to do a video about how fine a line each ab can spray im not bothering any more because i just tell people the micron goes from spraying nothing to something i think andre has a pic of the fine lines next to a machinest scale . and another thing when you get the micron just shoot the handle with some burgandy and the screwy thing on the back that i never use with some gold and clear with laqueer. if you dont like it throw it in some acitone lol but seriously

Back