Micron vs. Infinity

I'm absolutely not set on a side feed yet. But I do, especially for details, have my fingerjoint on the trigger and I have pretty large hands (which can hold a basket ball).
Just looking at pictures of both guns, the trigger of the CM seems to be much closer to the cup, so the side feed would solve that issue! With a normal cup I never had problems to see the area I'm painting on, so that is not really an argument for me to by the side feed. All about the big hands! :rolleyes:

I've also got hands that aren't small:) So C model cup stands on my finfer way:) But the problem is solved!;) Just wait for a couple of hours I'll take pictures.

The price of the Olympus is clearly fantastic, but I nowhere found it for 160 USD! More in the range of 250 USD (incl. shipping). If there is a solution for the trigger the Olympos would be back in the game of course, so a picture of your solution @Vladimir would be very welcome!

You can find it here for 150 USD shipped;) http://olympos-airbrush.ocnk.net/product/1116 Payment is immidiate through PayPal
I got mine in less than a week after payment. Buy spare parts with the AB for not to pay extra in future. Mind that no Olympos goes with teflon needle packing so if your paints are urethanes you'll have to buy teflon packing separately at online shop, if waterbased - rubber packing is OK. Mine are urethanes.
I was surprised when my Olympos started to leak:eek: When I unscrewed the needle packing I had understood what was the reason for that. Now I've got teflon installed there;)
Chose english or your language at google translation I think you don't know japanese:)

Hey, thanks for the photos! I don't have finger pain, but for me simply the distance between the trigger and the cup doesn't allow me to hold the trigger as I'm used to. At least this is what I fear looking at the photos and which is the reason why I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on a Micron. Unfortunately it is quite a detour for me to get the an AB shop and I have no time this week to spend at least 1 extra hour on the street. Maybe next week if everything goes well.

But I might try a very simple version of your trigger extension on my Evo, just to see how it feels! :)

I just gave it a try in a very simple version using hard foam tape. 4 and 8mm and with the 2 and the 5ml cup. With the 2mm cup it feels good, but with the 5mm it makes things just worse. I cannot even "normally" put my finger on the trigger without touching the cup. Holding it with the first finger joint, doesn't work at all.

With the smaller cup of the CM-B2 it might work though!

..., and yes the side feed will work perfectly with just 1 drop of paint ....

There aren't too many photos of the cup allowing to look inside it. From the outside the side mount is pretty much in the middle of the cup's hight. Is that the bottom of the cup? Why is there so much below that level? Is it just for balance reasons and to have a stand?

This is what the the inside of the cup looks like. The outlet tube is so high so that as long as your paint level stays below the outlet, it will not run out when you remove the cup. I guess they found a nice balance between too high and too low.
Iwata_micron_inside_cup.jpg

This cup is siphon feed. I prefer this type of ABs. They perform differently then gravity feed.
I was surprised that this cup works literally with one drop of paint:)
And I also like all SB models Eclipse, High Perfomance and Micron they all feel the same in hand but have different spray characteristics. At SB nothing stands on finger way I mean gravity cups.

Not only does it work with almost no paint, it works with almost no air as well. With paint at the right consistency, you can easily spray at 5psi.

You can fit one of the Aztek cups and it will turn into a gravity feed.
gravity_cup.jpg

@AndreZA: Thanks for the picture, that was exactly what I was looking for!!! Ok, so the side feed is basically a syphon feeder! That makes sense! But opens up the question again how to clean that? Are you just flushing it?

5psi??? WOW, even 10psi would already be very impressive! Comeing from the EVO I'm more used to 17 to 30psi.... With the best color mix I can do, I get it working with 15psi. This is definitely one reason why I got spider legs when I get really close to the surface (1mm) So beeing able to reduce the air pressure to less than half should make it a lot easier to do the real fine details!! :thumbsup:

This cup is siphon feed. I prefer this type of ABs. They perform differently then gravity feed.

Could you please try to describe the different performance?

Guys, so far you almost convinced me buying a new gun! :D

But opens up the question again how to clean that? Are you just flushing it?

Easier than a gravity feed. But I am using E'tac and the stuff almost cleans itself. For a deep clean, I use a bottle of reduced bio friendly household cleaner in a bottle with a small nozzle and while air and paint is wide open, cup obviously removed, I just squirt some into the paint hole.

The bottom of the cup screws off so you can than access the feeder tube with dental floss brushes.

5psi??? WOW, even 10psi would already be very impressive! Comeing from the EVO I'm more used to 17 to 30psi.... With the best color mix I can do, I get it working with 15psi. This is definitely one reason why I got spider legs when I get really close to the surface (1mm) So beeing able to reduce the air pressure to less than half should make it a lot easier to do the real fine details!!

The odd thing with the Micron is it sweet spot is not right infront of the needle. You can be about 3-5mm away for a better spray. Around 10psi is my magic number for detail. But I've gone lower but then the paint needs to be very reduced.[/user]

Ok, so the side feed is basically a syphon feeder! That makes sense! But opens up the question again how to clean that? Are you just flushing it?

I have no issues with cleaning:) You forcing me to make pictures again:Dlol I'll make wait for a while. You'll undestand all at one glance;)

Could you please try to describe the different performance?

Guys, so far you almost convinced me buying a new gun! :D

I haven't tried my CM-SB for the date as I don't have time:) But I've tried Olympos 0.23mm.
I'll try to describe the difference. I used HP-SB Plus before and thought that Microns spring adjuster can not do something magic for the perfomance, another difference of the Micron is its spraying head. And here's what makes Microns that great! All in that. It just sprays almost without tiny overspray like HP does. I can have CONSTANT paint flow without any issues. This feature gives a possibility to have your paint in the way you need it but not your AB:) HP can't do that, it behaves differently almost each time you push the trigger and it can never give you constant air flow at low pressures. But this is important feature for datails. Micron's spray is the same from the center to the edge of the spray pattern while HP has more paint in the center and less at the borders, it's kinda more saturated in the center.
Micron is comletely predictable at the time HP is not. I don't say HP is something bad. No it's good but Micron is the best. I have no intention to sell all my HPs, I'll left one HP-SB with 0.2 mm nozzle and all HPs with 0.3 mm as they're great for some works. For datails there are Microns;)
Generally HP and CM are the same quality of production but the perfomance as close as ground and the sky.
Beleive me I don't like throwing money on the wind;)

And we are evil creatures that force people to buy Microns so that's not stange you're convinced:D We're well paid by the producer of themlollollol

And we are evil creatures that force people to buy Microns so that's not stange you're convinced:D We're well paid by the producer of themlollollol

YES, you are! :rolleyes:

Was really interesting to read the differences between the Micron and the HP, but my question was more related to your comment

So I would like to understand what the difference in the performance is, between siphon and gravity feed!

So I would like to understand what the difference in the performance is, between siphon and gravity feed!

Oh, sorry!:)
By saying that I mean that siphon feed is more forgiving the paint reduction. I had HP-SB+ than I desided to buy HP-B+. When they arrived (two ABs B-model) I loaded them with paint and what the hell! They were not performing like SB! I thought maybe there were different colours in them and the pigments behave differently. But the same perfomance was with the same colour in all ABs, SB sprayed well B - didn't. B model (gravity) requires more paint reduction. More reduction - more possibility to catch a spider (splatter) on your painting and the paint is less saturated. I've played with B models for a while and sold them like new. Reduction and different pressure didn't give me the perfomance of SB model. After that I got a couple more of HP-SB+ and there were no issues with paint reduction.
Aslo I liked HP-BC+ 0.3 mm nozzle more than HP-B+ 0.2 mm as could have better control over spraying. I can't udestand why this happens as I'm not AB technician. But after all those playings I decided that siphon feed is all mine. And moreover side feed is very convenient for me to draw with.
And I'd say about spray patterns of B and SB model the same as I've said above about HP and Micron.
It's all mine preferences as a result of my experience.

But! I'm not saying that about gravity Micron. Even gravity Micron overperforms HP-SB+. What happens with siphon feed Micron I can't say as I have not tried it yet. But Microns have different spray system which gives another kind of perfomance.
I hope I've cleared up a bit what I meant above:)

@Vladimir: thanks!

So what is the air pressure you are useing the Evo at the lowest? Without negative impacts and for really fine detail? 1-3mm away from the surface?

Is it the Micron you don't use that low as 5psi, or are you saying you really use the Evo at that low pressure? If so I would be very interested to know how that should work!

Last edited:
@Vladimir: thanks!

So what is the air pressure you are useing the Evo at the lowest? Without negative impacts and for really fine detail? 1-3mm away from the surface?

Is it the Micron you don't use that low as 5psi, or are you saying you really use the Evo at that low pressure? If so I would be very interested to know how that should work!

I reduce and adjust air pressure as needed to get what I need. I don't really know what psi I am using at any given time. I just know that once I have my psi set, I can change between the Evo and Micron and use both effectively. If I had to guess, it would be around 10psi. I also reduce 10:1 or more unless painting a really saturated area of the painting.

So are you a full time yupo user?

Nope. Depends on what the painting needs. Some techniques work better on Yupo and some on 4G. I pick my substrate based on the detail and texture in the subject.

I reduce and adjust air pressure as needed to get what I need. I don't really know what psi I am using at any given time. I just know that once I have my psi set, I can change between the Evo and Micron and use both effectively. If I had to guess, it would be around 10psi. I also reduce 10:1 or more unless painting a really saturated area of the painting.

Nope. Depends on what the painting needs. Some techniques work better on Yupo and some on 4G. I pick my substrate based on the detail and texture in the subject.
Side note, that airbrush you sent me Is utterly amazing. Next for me will be a side feed. Is the quality of their hp line up as good as tneir microns, because it is of much higher quality than a high performance by iwata... not knocking iwata. And I love the flat bottom of the cup. Thought the head assembly would trap paint but it stays cleaner than my hp cs and infinitely easier than my Krome.

Side note, that airbrush you sent me Is utterly amazing. Next for me will be a side feed. Is the quality of their hp line up as good as tneir microns, because it is of much higher quality than a high performance by iwata... not knocking iwata. And I love the flat bottom of the cup. Thought the head assembly would trap paint but it stays cleaner than my hp cs and infinitely easier than my Krome.

It is an awesome brush, I just really didn't use it much. The cup was a bit too close to the trigger for my technique. I generally put the trigger under the knuckle of my index finger for more control when doing detail work.

The HP-200SB is nice, but I would not put it at Micron level. Actually, the more I use the Eclipse SBS, the more I like it. I will eventually get a CM-SB2, but I really don't "need" one. I do most of my paintings with a workhorse and the last 10% or so of the detail with a Micron or Evo/Infinity.

Back