For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

monochrome step by step

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Ronald art, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

lets do a SBS :)
    Paint : Etac efx sepia smoke and reduce base
    airbrush Iwata CM SB

I always start by mapping out the darkest parts and if they are near black I go real dark to create a ref value to guide for the middle values , the ref I use has real strong contrasts and many details in the background I may or may not put in depending on how I like it
    Summer 001.JPG
  2. Ronald art

the lightest values need to stay as clean as possible and in this case that is the dress , so I have put the background values in , and added all the darkest values to the portrait , I am not working on details yet Summer 002.JPG
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Looking good so far. Are you just shielding the lightest area or is there some type of masking on it?
  4. Boltcase

Boltcase Detail Decepticon!

Looking nice Ronald :). Thx for showin us how you do it :thumbsup:
  5. Ronald art

I dont use shielding , but you can use it , the way I do it is to spray away form the shapes that need to stay white or real light , if I notice I made a mistake I erase the overspray but if you spray away from the pencil or graphite lines chances of getting overspay are nect to nothing and you will need to erase the sketch lines anyway so you will see if you have any
  6. Ronald art

I just noticed I forgot to mention a step , the first step that is :(
    I always start by tracing my ref photo to the paper with graphite paper , that way I will get a good sketch and I get to see all the different shapes and shades I need to paint , the ref photo with the pencil marks will guide you trough the sketch but can miss lead you when it comes to the values so make sure you have a second print of the ref without the pencil lines so you can see the right values
  7. Ronald art

after all the darkest values are sprayed I turn to the lighter values starting with the value that is close to the darkest one .
    you spray over the darkest value and widen the shape .
    for this step I use a 1: 1 reduction paint reduce base to get a bit more control and I add more reduce base as the values get lighter up to a 1:5 ratio
    I slowly work my way around the whole portrait and add details in the background with the electric and hard pencil eraser to keep the feel for the right values.
    the painting is now at a point I will need to start with the detailing using a soft pencil eraser so I wont lose the lightest value : in this case the white of the paper
    Summer 003.JPG
    Diegojavbau likes this.
  8. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Looks like are the practice work you have done is paying off in helping you see better.
    This is looking outstanding.
    I too spray away from the area I want to keep clean , But I seem to get more mistakes then you :D
  9. Ronald art

I learned how to use the sight I still have and use every trick in the book to cover up and fix mistakes ;)
  10. Ronald art

the final stages of this painting are coming up fast now :) I started on detailing and checking the values , I do this by looking at the ref and the work , as long as my work is still in balance I can go as dark or light as I want to go .
    for those who use etac efx paints or a paint that is easy to erase you can make mistakes with a monochrome . we all know how to go darker but not everyone knows how to lighten up parts that are to dark .
    I use grey scotch brite pads or a flat eraser to lighten the parts that are to dark or to blend parts .
    For the detailing I use pencil erasers and the electric eraser with a hard tip for those parts I want real bight
    Summer 004.JPG
  11. Ronald art

the last part :) this is the important part : the tweaking and fine tuning of the portrait/painting
    at this stage I check the ref photo for details that are important for the overall look and add those to my work by either erasing the paint I already have on and by adding more paint where needed .
    after I have put in all the details I no longer use the ref photo and only look at my work and to see if I missed something or for parts I can improve . the overall balance is key in this final stage especially if you work with a color that wont give you a black and white painting but a pure monochrome painting .
    I see I forgot to mention the substrate I used : it is shoellershammer 4G paper
    the estimate time I spend on it is about 4 hours give or take an hour including tracing
    Summer 005.JPG
    splasha and Diegojavbau like this.
  12. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Thank you for the great S-B-S, Ronald.
    It's so kind of you to share the method as well as giving us noobs a valuable insight into the processes involved in creating this beautiful painting.
    I appreciate it.
  13. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

Yet another good SBS to add to my knowledge,:thumbsup:
  14. Ronald art

thank you all , if there are any questions about this SBS feel free to ask me :)
  15. Jose Manuel

Jose Manuel Double Actioner

SBS very good, very well explained, many things I did not know.

thanks for your time in doing SBS
    Ronald art likes this.
  16. Patrick Van Laere

Patrick Van Laere Gravity Guru

Thank you for the great S-B-S
  17. Ronald art

wow talk about a blast from the past I totally forgot I had made this SBS
  18. Patrick Van Laere

Patrick Van Laere Gravity Guru

I am still learning, and I search the whole site for ideas, techniques on all types of surfaces.
    I am currently taking classes but have already learned many things on this forum, and do not give up to improve my techniques.
    not everything succeeds as I would have liked ;-)
    lines that I could not erase away
    mixing the right color and so on.
    here is so much talent and people from all over the world are willing to help you!
    thanks to all!
  19. Ronald art

only use graphite paper to trace your ref and dont put to much pressure on your eraser if you erase the graphite or pencil lines
    I never mix any color to match a ref I know how to do it but I dont like working with opaque paints as it takes to many layers to get the max saturation to match a color you need or want
    if I use a opaque I use it as I would do with a transparent and build up the values but never go to the max saturation as I only use it as a base color and I will use semi opaques and transparent's to get the colors I want
    Patrick Van Laere likes this.