My First Purchase????

H

hallboy

OK, Christmas is over and now I can focus on getting my Airbrush and Gear. Looking at the Iwata HP. SB+ It's a side mount bowl .2mm needle.
I want to be able to do fine detail. Volumn of work is not as important to me at this time. Any thought's are welcome... I'm new to airbrushing but my motivation to learn and do well is strong.

How much is that Iwata you want? Are you new to A.Bing? Fine detail comes with a lot of practice. The Badger Krome is a great brush, I think it runs around 115$. I love it. Also, consider a brush that you can change from like a .5 to a .3 as well. I found that I can do some great detail work with my .5 as well and also get a high volume of paint if I'm doin a background a single color.

Also, I think it comes to preference. Get a brush that has good reviews to start. and then a you get into it more you can try different brushes.

Search the forum for this same topic, you will find a lot of good info

Dylan

I agree with Dylan... If all of this is new to you, I wouldn't recommend starting with a Micron. Very fine detail can be achieved with numerous alternatives that won't break the bank from the start (I use the Eclipse HP-CS far more than I use either of my Microns)... The money you save can also be alotted for other necessary items you need to purchase. Just my two cents...

i agree with the 2 fine genelmens statements above. that is a nice gun that your wanting, but they are not the best to learn with. the cup doesnt have a cap and the small nozzle is easily ruined. the hp-cs is the best iwata brush to learn with. i started with it and then moved up to the micron. i have since got ahold of the badger renegade series brushes. i got all 3 of them for less than that one brush that you want and can do anything with them that i could do with my $650 micron. the rengades are interchangable between the .5, .3, and the .2 setups on each brush, so basically i got 9 guns for the price of the hp-sb. but that is a nice brush that you want. cant wait to see your work when you get going!!

Well I was gonna order my first airbrush tonight but the megastore is def not user friendly with orders so I'll look elsewhere.

I highly recommend coastairbrush.com. I've dealt with them for years and have never had an issue. The owner, Dave Monnig, is now a member here as well.

OK, Christmas is over and now I can focus on getting my Airbrush and Gear. Looking at the Iwata HP. SB+ It's a side mount bowl .2mm needle.
I want to be able to do fine detail. Volumn of work is not as important to me at this time. Any thought's are welcome... I'm new to airbrushing but my motivation to learn and do well is strong.

You didn't mention what type of airbrushing you're looking to get into. That is a very important factor in choosing an airbrush since certain types of airbrushes are more suited to certain types of airbrushing. As mentioned above, the HP-Sb is a .2mm nozzle, which is considered very fine, but the finer the nozzle, the more finicky it is in regard to paint reduction and air pressure and trigger control. For starting out, a .3 mm nozzle or larger will be easier to learn with and will reduce your frustration level. If you're stuck on Iwata, the HP-CS is a very good general purpose airbrush, that is capable of fine detail once you get some experience. I have a HP-CS and to be honest, the Badger Krome blows it away. The krome comes with a .3mm nozzle and a .21 mm nozzle, so you can start out with the larger nozzle and then progress to the finer nozzle once you get the hang of it.

I highly recommend coastairbrush.com. I've dealt with them for years and have never had an issue. The owner, Dave Monnig, is now a member here as well.

+1 on this. I contacted them once and being on the other side of the planet does not help me much more with others. Dave and Ryan there are nice guys to work there and they respond to emails quits quickly. I just acquired the Krome after using the Neo. I touched airbrushing again after several years and the Neo really helped me get back on track. Get the best airbrush you can right now but get the very best only when you gets better at airbrushing. The Neo does fine details too in the hands of an accomplished artist and the Krome completes his talents..just my .2 cents on this
B

Thank you guys for recomending Coast Airbrush !
And thank you to this forum .... Good people and good info !

you know what id say infinity but thats also an expencive piece go for the krome seems to be the brush everyones getting if your still painting next year and you survive all that can go wrong in that time thain go for the 500 dollar iwata

My first project will be to reproduce a mountain scene photograph on the wall behind the memorial of my son that recently passed away. The area is about 4ft by 4ft. One of the pictures I'm looking to paint is posted on my profile. Later as I practice and get better at this I'll be painting his picture on his guitar and doing graphics on his mustang for my other son. This new hobby will help me deal with the loss of my son.

Getting a lot of great advise on here so My Thanks to all of you. I'll post updates as I get going on it but it will be a slow process.

Eclipse HP-CS is in the mail. Thanks all for all the input and advise. And I did use CoastAirbrush.com to order paint and a few other things. Hope to be at least partially set up in a couple weeks to start practicing.

Eclipse HP-CS is in the mail. Thanks all for all the input and advise. And I did use CoastAirbrush.com to order paint and a few other things. Hope to be at least partially set up in a couple weeks to start practicing.

You won't regret that brush at all!! It's the best every day work horse you'll ever want. I have the hp-cs and the Kustom cs and love them. You can get crazy detail as well as wide spray pattern. You couldn't have gone with a better site as well, coast airbrush is THE top notch when it comes to knowledge and service!! Can't wait to see the mountain scene, and I am so sorry to hear of your son.

Josh

yea sorry to hear about your son any form of art is a great ...i know what i want to say but i cant spit the words out sorry its great mental therapy i got in a real bad accident on my bike last spring just days after my infinity arrived on my doorstep and my foot was touching my knee SAME LEG any way after a two week hospital stay i finaly got to go home to start airbrushing.at least you got a decent gun you sshould have no problems with it

I now have my new airbrush, hose, paint and material to begin setting up my sons room as my new studio for this new hobby. I've started building my new wisper quiet compressor so I'll be spraying very soon.

You've made a great choice with the hp-cs, it is so versatile and can do some really fine detail once you've got the paint/air pressure sorted. I use mine all the time, and although I do want a micron (totally out of my price range, sigh) I was lucky enough to get a second hp cs for christmas and I couldn't be happier. Really glad to hear you'll soon be putting that brush to good use!

my first (working) airbrush was a gravity feed i think it is easy to work with i got three in one package i found the deal on amazon

The DAGGER Stroke!!!! Gotta work on him!

OK I finally got my compressor and had a chance to play around in my newly set up studio... (My sons old room) Did my first painting Sunday (The eye). Pround to post pics of all my oops's as I learn this new hobby. This has brought a much needed smile to my face and I thank you guys for your input and advise. I wish my son was here to share this cool hobby. He'd put me to shame I'm sure. DSC05284.JPG

Back