For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

my progress

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by ian groves, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ian groves

ian groves Spider Splatterer

Cheers pal
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  2. ian groves

This is what I done today I'm in week 3 of learning. Made a few mistakes with masking and went to dark on right hand side but feel I'm heading in first direction
    I used normal at paper for mask but find it'd a biach to cut neat and more so if I need cut it round. What is a better alternative for me at me stage

Attached Files:

3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Keep up the good work Ian! While some things maybe easier to cut than others, using a scalpel or similar, is a bit of an art too, and a skill that improves with practice. I couldn't cut a clean curve if my life depended on it when I started out, now I don't even think about it. I use anything from cardboard, to paper, to acetate, plastic sleeves for cd's, plastic folders. Basically whatever is to hand. But unless it's something I want to keep and use again, I use paper.

You may want to try frisket or other types of masking, but as well as being more expensive can have issues of their own, lifting paint or spoiling the surface if you aren't careful. But they can be useful, just experiment until you know what they will or won't do.

As with ABing I think it's probably best to practice with the materials you're most likely to use, but you may be happier with a slightly lighter weight of paper (as long as it will take a certain amount of paint without being useless) or a different knife or blade shape perhaps. :)
    ian groves likes this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Your progresss thru three week is very good just keep it up trying to soften the hard lines some in your shadow's by blending from light to dark or dark to light whatever works best for you
    ian groves likes this.
  5. ian groves

Cheers for the reply I am going to order a proper swan morton scalpel am some blades as been trying to use the plastic type stanley knifed from pound land as much as there sharp a round edge will be better. Will be another String to my bow
    Squishy likes this.
  6. ian groves

Will do mucker I'm going go have another got the same painting today. As.they say practise practise practise
  7. Squishy

Cool, some of those cheaper knives have a bit of flex or movement to them that may not be helpful, and a proper scalpel will take that out of the equation for sure. When buying blades, check that well known auction site, I get a box of 100 ; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANN-MOR...pment_Instruments_ET&var=&hash=item5afaccdd2f and it's cheap as chips. With so many on hand you won't be tempted to use blades that aren't as sharp as they could be either, which can affect your cutting. :)
  8. ian groves

You right g pal I used to do a lot of leather crafting nd I used these all the time and I Will Defo be going back to the for sure
  9. ian groves

hi folks I been playing around for the last weeks trying diffrenct ways of using the stencil ect for laying out and todays pictures turned out my best so far I feel ,I tried layering more as I have been told to do and feel im understanding it more every time I do it ,please give constructive feedback and this is how I can learn more
    thanks ian

Attached Files:

10. ian groves

Hi folks
    Well the last week I been playing around with layering and understanding the use of stencils more. Here is my latest project, I feel I'm making progress week by week and I'm happy with that as every little bit helps to get to my goal. Please feel free to give tips and feed back as this is what makes me better

Attached Files:

11. Squishy

Looks great, you have a definite foreground and back ground, your blends are coming along nicely, and it shows that you are getting the idea of layering.. A real improvement. If you don't mind a word or two of advice (if it's not relevant just ignore me :) )I think that you are maybe going a bit dark too fast, so that when you build your layers, you are having to put more paint on the next layer/s to get contrast, and then lose some of the subtlety and definition. Super light layers and more of them, allows a more gradual build up, so just slow down your steps a bit. Also the creases under his arm look like they are ending a bit blunt, and I am wondering if this is because you are not continuing to move your arm as you shut off paint? To make the dark part of the ear lose the stenciled look, go over it freehand, it makes the edges less sharp and more natural (You can also soften the look by holding the stencil slightly off the surface), and a tiny amount of overspray at the edges could work to your advantage and make the ear appear rounded.

I hope I'm not coming over as too critical, it's just that I can see your improvement, and with only small adjustments, you will take an even greater leap :)
    basepaint likes this.
  12. ian groves

hi squiahy that the type of feed back I love and want and I will work more one these on my next project ;
    thanks for your reply :)
    Squishy likes this.
  13. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

You hit it on the head squishy,Ian you might also try some eraseing in areas you want lighter you can do figure 8s and add texture at the same time erasing some from each layer as you go
  14. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Skull King Very Likeable!

Squishy pretty much nailed it. My tip is more for thought. Try looking into the shades of your reference. If you look at it hard enough you can see the layers. So just build up with your lightest first then gradually bring the tones up your looking for in the saturations of them. This will also help you see depth and gradually bring it out. When i look at a reference, i look at it as if it were airbrushed. Kinda helps your mind get on track to tackle whatever you have in your reference. Keep at it Ian!
    ian groves likes this.
  15. ian groves

Ok this week's project set of good until I did the shell and I ended having to paint it white again and re do it .getting the feel of my ab more and more and how it like the paint to flow ad tip dry etc .my patience is getting so much better now instead of getting angry when I can't do something I just walk away now and come back .
    I'm happy wi t h my piece except the white I ended up putting on the shell back at the end but you live and learn lol

Attached Files:

haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  16. ian groves

Hi folks
    Well I started another project today and I have about 5 ~6hrs in it and I'm so pleased at where I am and looking forward to carrying on with it of it goes like if has up to now .hope people like where I am at

Attached Files:

17. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

superb start, cant wait to see the finished piece.
    ian groves likes this.
  18. fL0

fL0 Gravity Guru

Great start
    ian groves likes this.
  19. ian groves

Thanks a lot really enjoyed seeing something at last coming together and all the practise and learning most of all patience regarding layering etc
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  20. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Looking good!!
    ian groves likes this.