My take on the sm K33 micron by foxy studio and zsolt

A

ad fez

I was fortunate enough to last week attend a portrait course with Marissa and Carlo in valkenburg, due to a bit of a problem with the packing screw my micron was not performing properly, Carlo said whilst he was having a look at my brush i should carry on painting with his. The no.1 sm K33. I was under no illusions that should I drop it, it would be certain death! In fact he didn't even say it, just a look and "you know right" of course i know!
Well, now I have experience of a couple of stock microns, and now this i can say without doubt, it's a different animal. Instantly it was like i was using a micron for the first time, so responsive and immediate, s uprising ly so to be honest. Resting my finger on the trigger i found i could almost think about paint, merely twisting the pressure slightly on the trigger gave me the tiniest paint delivery but smooth and constant. Every single time i wanted it, delivery was right there!, now I know people with a micron would say that's what you get with a micron anyhow, but this is different, it's just "there"
Little details like white highlights around eye corners where effortless, confidence to just do it, no splatter no spider, up close working with no costly hiccups like we have all suffered in the past.....
I used this tuned up micron for the next 3 days, i can tell you carlo was lucky to get it back!
In my opinion the difference between the sm K33 and a stock micron is as large a difference as a micron and a high performance range brush. It's a competely different league. I think orders may still be being taken for the next round of brushes so if you are thinking about it then I can say and urge you that it would be a great buy for a superb detail tool. Lovely!

Thank you so much for an unbiased review on these awesome pieces of equipment....
When these were first released I think a lot of people (including me) looked at the K33 as a 'status' piece, or just a bit of self indulgence, as you say, how different could it be !! ?? and I for one don't have the skill level yet to do something like this justice, although after reading a few first hand reviews on here I would consider it if the finances allow,

This hobby has me hook line and sinker so I need something to do when I retire lol

I was fortunate enough to last week attend a portrait course with Marissa and Carlo in valkenburg, due to a bit of a problem with the packing screw my micron was not performing properly, Carlo said whilst he was having a look at my brush i should carry on painting with his. The no.1 sm K33. I was under no illusions that should I drop it, it would be certain death! In fact he didn't even say it, just a look and "you know right" of course i know!
Well, now I have experience of a couple of stock microns, and now this i can say without doubt, it's a different animal. Instantly it was like i was using a micron for the first time, so responsive and immediate, s uprising ly so to be honest. Resting my finger on the trigger i found i could almost think about paint, merely twisting the pressure slightly on the trigger gave me the tiniest paint delivery but smooth and constant. Every single time i wanted it, delivery was right there!, now I know people with a micron would say that's what you get with a micron anyhow, but this is different, it's just "there"
Little details like white highlights around eye corners where effortless, confidence to just do it, no splatter no spider, up close working with no costly hiccups like we have all suffered in the past.....
I used this tuned up micron for the next 3 days, i can tell you carlo was lucky to get it back!
In my opinion the difference between the sm K33 and a stock micron is as large a difference as a micron and a high performance range brush. It's a competely different league. I think orders may still be being taken for the next round of brushes so if you are thinking about it then I can say and urge you that it would be a great buy for a superb detail tool. Lovely!
Thanks for the heads up Ad Fez. Any ideas on costs.

Thanks for pumping my adrenaline even more! What you describe is what I was hopeing for. Thanks for your review, i hope to add to this by the end of the week :)
As for the 'my skills' arguement - we all have skills and by the sounds of it, this tool will help improve them no end. Roll on Australia post........
Thanks Foxy for actually putting these into production too. @ad fez How did you find the golden cup and needle cap?

I have time to save for one of these... heh heh heh... let the scheming begin. Probably cheaper for me to travel over there to pick it up instead of paying delivery...

Lucky you Ad fez. But remember, their guns have special needle shafts with double springs as well. That mod did make it to the production models. Look at Zolt's website for that info.

Adfez now you know why I was the first to order the K33 when Carlo announced he would have a limited edition made :)

Lucky you Ad fez. But remember, their guns have special needle shafts with double springs as well. That mod did make it to the production models. Look at Zolt's website for that info.
I know right! !! Without meaning to soundas a know it all though. ...this was the number 1.of the k33 range, one that carlo kept for himself. ...this is exactly the same as the other 32 that have been snapped up worldwide. The only difference is the engraved number. The double spring trigger shafts are not a feature on the k33 nor (anymore) carlos prototype no.4 because in Carlos words "it sucked"
I have however played with another prototype which did have some serious tech in the trigger. But if this will ever come to production I don't know as this is different entirely

Thanks for pumping my adrenaline even more! What you describe is what I was hopeing for. Thanks for your review, i hope to add to this by the end of the week :)
As for the 'my skills' arguement - we all have skills and by the sounds of it, this tool will help improve them no end. Roll on Australia post........
Thanks Foxy for actually putting these into production too. @ad fez How did you find the golden cup and needle cap?
golden cup is a nice little addition, i dont know how much easier it is to clean, how phobic it is of the paint im not sure, the devil cap pronged needle cap thing is great though, allows you to back flush without putting the rubber bubble cap thing back on each time. no paint collection on the cap itself. nice little bit of tech

I would like a gold cup and the 2pronged needle cap but the cost of the cup doesn't justify it for me and they're not selling the caps.... I will have to make one I suppose. Thanks for the review on the k33 though. Now I want one even more.

Lee

for what is it you are after @basepaint do you mean zsolts blog i think he has temporarily removed or made it unavailable whilst he maintains it it but litterally anything you want to know about its design or manufacture you can ask carlo via email

It was a separate website for the University of Brescia Italy but it looks like the info has been removed from the university's site. A bit unfortunate as it was very good reading.

Lee

I am using the gold cup for as long as they have it on sale and it is much easier to clean as the paint doesnt stick to the sides but I am only using Etac Efx paints like Marissa does so I can't tell you how easy other paint brands will clean out

Fez, reading this and thinking, I'm struggling still with my airbrushes, just the slightest deviation in reduction or fluctuation in air pressure and I'm splotched and spidered, trying to figure out how to hide the mistakes instead of binning the piece, using a HP CS and Krome, is a Micron really that different? If so then I must have one!

Fez, reading this and thinking, I'm struggling still with my airbrushes, just the slightest deviation in reduction or fluctuation in air pressure and I'm splotched and spidered, trying to figure out how to hide the mistakes instead of binning the piece, using a HP CS and Krome, is a Micron really that different? If so then I must have one!
sounds to me you are struggling with your paint and not with the airbrushes

yup totally agree, although i have had a krome myself and know they can be a little off, but unless you can see this yourself as definitely being a prob with the brush rather than user error then i would have to agree with ron and andre.
but in answer.... the micron is a different league.... the k33 is a different sport

Back