Need help with fur

I'm probably the last person to add to this, but when I did my 24" tiger I just used tons of tiny dagger strokes. It was large enough for tiny daggers. Doing an 8" dog now and it's too small for daggers so I'm scratching. New to scratching so I suck at it, but for my large tiger I got small enough detail with daggers. For the nose I used figure 8 in the direction of the fur and it looked pretty good. I doubt that help you any, but that's just what I found works best for me

I basically went the @Visual Realm route but used the fibreglass pencil because of the size of the piece. The one thing that I had to do was to upscale the strokes from the reference. On the reference the hairs are fine and could be done with a blade but going bigger a blade did not work. The eraser worked but it did not remove enough and the fibreglass pencil added a bit more texture. I would not use it on paper or board as there will be nothing left of the surface after the tenth stroke.

I just worked on his (presuming it's a he) right side with burnt umber and I must say I'm pretty happy with the results. I remove the old paint as I move along.

tiger_15_sml.jpg

I have no idea how this can be taught in a 4 day class. It is o much work and soooo boring. But I am making progress.

View attachment 39396

LOL it can be boring but it's just something you have to want and then it's actually fun, I get a kick out trying to make convincing hair and fur so I'm happy to take 2 weeks over if the end result is too my liking, just plod on and maybe you can do some other relaxing projects in between to break the monotony but it likes like your doing just fine:thumbsup:

AndreZa, this is a real killer work.
IF it were possible for human being to create this work in 4 hrs, then I would also believe in alien abduction and a whole load of other unexplained things.
Do not be critical of your progress, it's the time and attention given to the detail that make this work 'alive'!
Fabulous job, my friend. I'll be watching!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking amazing. I have to say, i was amazed you needed help, looks like you nailed it. Stunning as usual for your work!

That's a killer Andre, now what were you saying about needing help.

That's looking super Andre' Those green eyes do it for me. You're doing a great job. Stop worrying :)

Lee

Keep it up, bro. .. it's getting there. My actual problem with furs are the early stages of the painting where you oftentimes get discouraged because of the seemingly lack of visible progress. Once you get passed that, though, it gets a little more exciting as the painting starts to take form... you're almost there...

fantastic job, AndreaZa!
Like you, I am still struggling with trying to imitate realistc looking fur.
The only thing I find that helps [particularly in the early stages] is to lay down the underpainting in exactly the direction that the fur in your reference pic shows.
Follow this precisely, and the fur will appear as it should. [ or does in your reference, at least!]
Love the eyes!

A simply beautiful artwork, AndreaZa.
Breathtaking.... makes you want to reach out and stroke the fur...... but, only for a second!

Broom bristles work pretty well if you spray inward. just my 2 cents:)

Back