Need some help, 1st eye

This is true... I am better than those who look at airbrushing and say "I could never do that!" I've learned many creative things in my life, and the first step is to suck. Then one day, you suddenly don't suck so bad anymore. It's just a process.

I get a real kick out of the people that will watch TV or see a car at a show with a "true flame" job or something ridiculous nice and go it's not that hard you just draw and blend it and shadow it and it's done yet they have NEVER touched a brush.

all the theory in the world isn't going to help if you haven't done the practical. lol

I think there are quite a few here that will admit to thinking 'it cant be that hard' when we first picked up a brush and then have that 'DOH' moment..... then start practising until we don't suck as bad as you were.

Everybody starts everything they do in life with a first step, fall over, pick themselves up and try again. Also known as walking before you can run :laugh:

So what's a good project to tackle after the eye?
Obviously I'm going to do much more eye paintings just to practice and get it as good as I can for now then do maybe a few per month just to see the progress over time.

The people that tick me off are the ones that say "oh, it's not that hard" then grab an airbrush or whatever tool for the first time and get amazing results!

Obviously I'm going to do much more eye paintings just to practice and get it as good as I can for now then do maybe a few per month just to see the progress over time.
Well... skulls are quite popular. :)

if you haven't already, head to 'airbrush tutor' site http://www.airbrushtutor.com/ register on there (not the same log in as here) and there are free tutorials, the eye, Cameron....as well as practise sheets to be had. . .

Well... skulls are quite popular. :)

Yes they are, lots of references of those to be had on google. :)

if you haven't already, head to 'airbrush tutor' site http://www.airbrushtutor.com/ register on there (not the same log in as here) and there are free tutorials, the eye, Cameron....as well as practise sheets to be had. . .

Yes they are, lots of references of those to be had on google. :)

Yes the ABT website is truly amazing with the amount of information all in one stop.
With the tutorials all the paintings are all way out of reach except for the space scene. I will do the texture exercises, rock textures and try to do some rain drops and when I get bored I will attempt the space scene.

Yes the ABT website is truly amazing with the amount of information all in one stop.
With the tutorials all the paintings are all way out of reach except for the space scene. I will do the texture exercises, rock textures and try to do some rain drops and when I get bored I will attempt the space scene.

if you have managed to do the eye then Cameron is also possible, don't underestimate what you are capable of, you will surprise yourself :)

I am a little uneasy just looking at it. Oh well you have to start somewhere...
When you download the free package from ABT does it come with any instructions or just the picture and the dotted outlines.
I do almost everything on my phone/tablet nowadays so just wanted to make sure I'm getting everything.

In your opinion do you think "the german" would be a little easier than "cameron"

Hey looks like you are off to a great start. There are always those sickening people who can just pick up a brush and are a natural. But it is rare, and take consolation in the fact that I am a very slow learner with regards to the airbrush, but even I am managing to learn though slowly but surely. If I can, anyone can. Determination and time spent practising is all you need. Just keep plugging away and the penny will drop and you will realise one day you are not thinking about how to paint, or make the right stroke, or how to mix your paint - you are just doing it.

From your pics, I would suggest reducing your paint more, (and lowering your air to suit if needed to avoid spidering). I don't know what your mixture is now, but I reckon you could maybe do quite a bit more. It means you have to build up slower in more layers, but that gives you the ability to get more subtle blends and fades, and stops you going too dark to soon. Lower pressure gives you more control too. You have to find the balance, so it will take time and experimentation. When you do the eyelashes you may find you want a bit of a darker mix to get one off clean strokes. It's all about learning the paint and adjusting on the fly for the effect you need. But generally I like to work with lower pressure, thinner paint for more control - which also means no tip dry or overspray. Except when painting t shirts. Then its the opposite, high pressure and thicker paint lol.

I am a little uneasy just looking at it. Oh well you have to start somewhere...
When you download the free package from ABT does it come with any instructions or just the picture and the dotted outlines.
I do almost everything on my phone/tablet nowadays so just wanted to make sure I'm getting everything.

In your opinion do you think "the german" would be a little easier than "cameron"
I don't think the german is free........
use this link and enter your log in details (for that site, not this one) and you should see a Cameron portrait with closed eyes,and a leopard.
don't be put off, they're all constructed with lines, its just how you put them together.
There are several paid tutorials ('The German' 'Mr Meow' to name a couple, but save them for once you have your confidence going a bit.

Its hard when starting, you see all these great art works on here, look at yours and shake your head..... rest assured we have all been there. you will get there if you are willing to put in the practise, some 'get it' a little quicker than others. some like me, take longer just because of lack of time.

Hey looks like you are off to a great start. There are always those sickening people who can just pick up a brush and are a natural. But it is rare, and take consolation in the fact that I am a very slow learner with regards to the airbrush, but even I am managing to learn though slowly but surely. If I can, anyone can. Determination and time spent practising is all you need. Just keep plugging away and the penny will drop and you will realise one day you are not thinking about how to paint, or make the right stroke, or how to mix your paint - you are just doing it.

From your pics, I would suggest reducing your paint more, (and lowering your air to suit if needed to avoid spidering). I don't know what your mixture is now, but I reckon you could maybe do quite a bit more. It means you have to build up slower in more layers, but that gives you the ability to get more subtle blends and fades, and stops you going too dark to soon. Lower pressure gives you more control too. You have to find the balance, so it will take time and experimentation. When you do the eyelashes you may find you want a bit of a darker mix to get one off clean strokes. It's all about learning the paint and adjusting on the fly for the effect you need. But generally I like to work with lower pressure, thinner paint for more control - which also means no tip dry or overspray. Except when painting t shirts. Then its the opposite, high pressure and thicker paint lol.

Currently I'm using basic createx opaque with a transparent base and reducer.
1 drop paint 10 drops base and 10-12 drops reducer and spraying at roughly 20-25psi.
I ordered a new 0-60 psi gauge that I'm going to put in line and have the mac valve right before it at the start of the 1/8 hose so I can be more accurate with psi numbers.
I know it's not the conventional way to set it up but I use a water trap at the brush so with the mac valve it would be way to big.
At least this way I have a 0-60 psi 2" gauge instead of trying to read a 0-200 psi 1" gauge and I can control it all from the mac.

Should I reduce even further? If so more Trans base or just reducer?

I looked at the cameron videos and while it's going to be extremely hard Im going to try one tomorrow or wednesday. Maybe do a few more eyes and try to get better lines..

I was watching the intensity of ABT paint and it seems he can lay a much darker line in one pass compared to one pass of mine but yet I always here him talk about building lines and gradually shadow... I'm a little confused now...

I felt like my current reduction produced very very light lines and you could definitely see right threw them, I'm unsure if that's good or bad.

light to start with, he has to have it so dark so you can see it on video.
light layers and lots of them.

In order to build your confidence you need to jump in and try it. Don't expect miracles first time round, but if you do it a couple of times you WILL notice an improvement each time.
if a full picture is too daunting, then just pic a section and work on that.
You've practiced the eye, how about some lips ??

light to start with, he has to have it so dark so you can see it on video.
light layers and lots of them.

In order to build your confidence you need to jump in and try it. Don't expect miracles first time round, but if you do it a couple of times you WILL notice an improvement each time.
if a full picture is too daunting, then just pic a section and work on that.
You've practiced the eye, how about some lips ??

That's exactly what I was thinking. Imy going to take one sheet at a time and do it 2-3 times then do the full project a bunch of times.

It's crazy to see how fast some people can paint. Im sure it will take me over two hours to do the top left sheet with all the hair but again you have to start somewhere.

So your saying if he wasn't recording the paint would be more transparent?

I just checked out the site, and all it asks for is signing up for an email list. Is that what you guys are talking about?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Imy going to take one sheet at a time and do it 2-3 times then do the full project a bunch of times.

It's crazy to see how fast some people can paint. Im sure it will take me over two hours to do the top left sheet with all the hair but again you have to start somewhere.

So your saying if he wasn't recording the paint would be more transparent?
it always takes 20 times longer to do something when you start.

not saying for sure that Airbrush Tutor has darker paint to make it easier to see, but it would make sense, also the lighting etc in his studio will effect how the paint looks.

as long as it looks okay at your end then continue.

:laugh:They look pretty good to me, especially for a beginner. Heck, better than I have ever done!
No Jackie, some of us know we suck no matter how much we practice, lol!

:laugh:They look pretty good to me, especially for a beginner. Heck, better than I have ever done!
No Jackie, some of us know we suck no matter how much we practice, lol!
But you don't suck as bad as you did when you started :D. It's all relative

That reduction sounds plenty, but as trans base is just carrier without pigment, it reduces pigment by volume, the reducer is what actually thins the paint. So actually you are only (thinning) reducing almost 1:1. The trans base is making the paint a lighter shade. But I think you need to play around more to get the balance right. If you are using standard createx paint, it is mainly used for fabrics with larger nozzles and higher pressure.

Remember the airbrush tutors experience means he can use trigger control, distance, and speed to affect his strength of colour. Its something you develop a feel for. Plus getting to know your paint really well and experimenting with paint/air ratios to discover what works best for you. Everyone's is slightly different because of the variables in brushes, paints, conditions, paint styles. You are off to a good start, time behind the brush to get it all dialled in and refined is all you need.

Last edited:
Back