New Airbrush Issue!

marie-louiserands

Young Tutorling
So I thought I would use my new pistol grip airbrush it's a BD116-C for the first time today, to find my hand covered in black primer (due to a lovely trigger leak)! I took it apart mostly to tight the the needle nut holding the Teflon needle packing seal. Tried again and the same happened! So took everything apart including the needle nut itself to low and behold find that the manufacturer never inserted one in the first place! Has anyone ever bought a brand new airbrush from a reputable seller/shop and a Teflon seal that they say should be there isn't!

So I thought I would use my new pistol grip airbrush it's a BD116-C for the first time today, to find my hand covered in black primer (due to a lovely trigger leak)! I took it apart mostly to tight the the needle nut holding the Teflon needle packing seal. Tried again and the same happened! So took everything apart including the needle nut itself to low and behold find that the manufacturer never inserted one in the first place! Has anyone ever bought a brand new airbrush from a reputable seller/shop and a Teflon seal that they say should be there isn't!
That’s a new one on me. What make of brush is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a Chinese brush made by Fengda to me. Contact the seller and see if they will replace the brush or supply the missing part.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sounds like a Chinese brush made by Fengda to me. Contact the seller and see if they will replace the brush or supply the missing part.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I've ordered the seal as I anticipate needing seals with it being a £50-70 airbrush.... Just really need this one as I can't use a traditional trigger ab for more than 5 mins due to carpel tunnel and psoriatic arthritis. I only have the normal ab for quick priming/zenithal highlighting. I really want a Grex due to the changeable tips and versatility over the Neo Tr1 that doesnt have a fan tip.

I'll have to wait to buy the Grex though due to energy prices going up!

I just wondered if anyone ever had this happen on a new brush that's all.
I haven’t personally. But I’d say it just comes from being a cheaper brand. There are some of the Fendgda brushes that work well, but lots that don’t purely due to quality control. So my guess would be that’s where this one slipped through the net.

I've ordered the seal as I anticipate needing seals with it being a £50-70 airbrush.... Just really need this one as I can't use a traditional trigger ab for more than 5 mins due to carpel tunnel and psoriatic arthritis. I only have the normal ab for quick priming/zenithal highlighting. I really want a Grex due to the changeable tips and versatility over the Neo Tr1 that doesnt have a fan tip.

I'll have to wait to buy the Grex though due to energy prices going up!
I don’t know a lot about the Grex line up of brushes, but the Creos PS290 might be worth checking out too. Again, not sure how they stack up in terms of price. But it’s a trigger brush with a fan cap option that comes as standard.

Yeah I'm looking at it's I have to save up its £250-£290 if I including needles from the uk seller.... Energy prices are going up roughly £60 a month now which cuts my hobby budget down to £40

So it'll be 6 months at least until I get the Grex.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

the mr hobby PS 275 and the PS 290 are perfect trigger model airbrushes and come in at 143 and 155 uk pounds , I am not a fan off the grex airbrushes as the nozzles and needles are not great quality

I can't really think of an easy way to say it, other than to say that when purchasing a brush such as a Fengda, your experience is about par for the course. For us on this side of the Atlantic, it is probably the "Master" line of bushes. A good many of them may work well to quite well from the get go. The downside is that there is also a good many of them that simply don't. Whether missing a seal, or having parts that mis-align when assembled, it is the nature of the beast. Even among the less expensive brands, there are some manufacturers that produce to a level of consistency that they can be a fairly safe purchase, some a complete crap shoot.

In my opinion, a "reputable" dealer would either replace, or repair such an issue - but, that is just my opinion ;).

The Grex does stand out due to it's available flexibility with the ease of switching sizes. I have both a Creos PS-290, as well as a few variations of the NEO-TRN style build. The Neo is capable of much finer detail work than the Creos, being a .3 vs. a .5, but there is no comparison to that fan cap on the Creos :thumbsup:. The Grex offers access to the best of both worlds.

@DaveG Grex airbrushes are hard to find down here in Europe I just checked their US site to find a UK based dealer but the listed dealer doesnt sell grex airbrushes any more so I checked the German dealer and again no grex airbrushes listed
And @marie-louiserands I have a Fengda pistol grip airbrush and it came with rubber seals and I checked the site from the seller and there are no teflon seals for that airbrush but then again I have the Fengda branded one so there could be re branded once out there with teflon seals

Some observations about teflon seals. From my experience with the Iwata, Creos and a variety of Chinese brushes in my collection, the only Teflon seals I’ve seen are in the needle packing, any others are o-rings that are not made from Teflon.

The nozzle seals on the cheap brushes don’t tend to last, especially if you are repeatedly taking them off and on. The nozzle cap seals are better but still not overly durable. When these seals go I simply use something like Chapstick on the threads to provide a seal and that works fine and negates the need to look for replacement parts.

It's missing the needle packing as I got soaked with slightly diluted black primer pulling the trigger. I emptied the reservoir and filled it with water and tried again yep still soaked.... I did as I explained above... And checked the website after finding the seal missing they didn't have the seal in stock so check for another model that is actually identical and now I'm waiting for the full seal pack I order 2 lots but couldn't order just that 1 packing seal!

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

The PS-290 looks like a clone of the Iwata HP-TH (by which I don't mean inferior, just a direct descendant with minor variation). From my experience with the HP-TH, I'd add a couple caveats to the above recommendations:

1) The fan tip produces a lot of fogging, so you need much better ventilation with it than with a normal airbrush.

2) The wide flat front of the round tip means it's difficult to impossible to comfortably do lines smaller than around 2mm. You can't get the needle tip close enough to the substrate without occluding your view or restricting airflow.

It does, however, have excellent atomization, and is surprisingly easy to clean.

IMO it's a brush who's utility leans towards broad coverage and large-scale projects where you don't care as much about up-close detail. It's closer to being a mini-HVLP than a typical airbrush. I'd wager it maybe sprays better than the Grex (based on Grex's reputation: I have no personal experience with Grex brushes), but it won't have the versatility allowed by Grex's tip system.

It also has higher air volume requirements than ordinary airbrushes, so it doesn't work as well with light tankless compressors.

People I'd recommend it to:
-RC modelers, gaming terrain modelers, and other modelers who work in large scales and primarily use masking or templates instead of freehand.
-Mural or automotive painters who want something higher volume than a regular airbrush, but defter than an HVLP.
-Cosplayers, and full-size creature suit or puppet FX painters.

People I wouldn't recommend it to:
-Vehicle modelers who work in scales below 1:35, figure modelers who work in scales below 1:8, or gaming mini painters.
-Fishing lure painters.
-Fine art painters or illustrators.
-Face makeup artists, FX painting meant to be seen close-up, or other face painting.

If you're in the latter category, the PS-275 is IMO better suited. It only comes in .3 option, but that's a good "jack of all trades" size. A Grex Tritium will give you all the tip/needle options, but TBH you'll probably find the larger sizes and fan cap options collecting dust, so it may not be worth the extra money.

Your reference to zenithal highlighting suggests you're a gaming mini painter. I wouldn't recommend a fan tip for gaming minis (or similar models), as fan tips are better suited to flat topologies rather than the complex topology of minis. Unless you're painting on the sprue, but that would preclude zenithal painting. Even if you're batch painting, a fan tip is IMO the wrong tool for this sort of surface. It won't get in the nooks and crannies as well as a round tip will, but it also won't create the "light cone" dynamics you'd want for zenithal either. A fan tip would mostly come in handy with painting vehicles and terrain. And if you're working inside a residential space (as opposed to a shed or garage) with a common desktop hobby spray booth for ventilation, the added fogging will be a big issue.

For reference: I'm a modeler who mostly works in smaller scales, with past interests in creature effects.

Hope this helps.

Back