For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

New Paint (to me)

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by wharvey, Jan 14, 2019.

1. wharvey

wharvey Young Tutorling

As I had mentioned in my intro, for whatever reason I stopped airbrushing a while back. Got interested again but found most of my paints had gone bad. I wanted to try Createx Illustration paints. Couldn't find any locally so I ordered some. I buy one bottle of Wicked to get in some practice.

(Anyone know of a place in San Antonio Texas that has a decent supply of airbrushing stuff. The various hobby stores and art supply stores I know of don't, at least for non-model type airbrushing.")

The paint arrived and I stupidly decided to try a portrait for my first use. At least I wasn't stupid enough to use something good to paint on, I did it on copy paper so as not to waste decent paper. It actually turned out fairly good considering I'd never used the paint before and hadn't done any real brushing for a couple of years.

I did OK on her body except for a club hand but her face was horrible. To give an idea of how it turned out, think of the ugliest girl you've ever seen. Then take a 2 by 4 and beat her face a couple dozen times. If all the girls in the Miss Universe contest were like her Miss Piggy would be the hands down winner. I'm not posting the picture here for two reasons. One is that it is a bit risque and I'm not sure of the rules on that. The other is that I don't want to traumatize anyone. Her face did turn out that bad.

I can't blame it on the paint though. That stuff sprays better then anything I've ever tried. I used paynes gray reduced 1:1 and it worked fantastic in my Badger Patriot. Don't have that much talent anyway but definitely need to practice. Probably should have bought gallon bottles as I need a lot of practice.

I'm going to have to spray some on some good paper so I can see how erasing and scratching work.

Bill
    jord001 and doc1 like this.
  2. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

May 5th the Airbrush Art Circus will be in San Antonio, TX. Have you been to Jerry’s Artorama? I live in Houston, TX. I haven’t been to the Jerry’s Artorama here but supposedly they have more airbrushing supplies than hobby lobby carries. I mostly order my supplies online, but I plan to go on a field trip one of these days to check out local options.
    jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Wicked is great, when you do buy some more supplies make sure you get a large bottle of the 4012 reducer, you can reduce the paint a lot more than 1:1 but remember to lower your psi.
    A good pick up is a small bottle of Createx restorer, it’s invaliable for soaking when you get paint build up in the nozzle- it’s reusable so find a small glass jar or solvent proof container to keep it in and just drop nozzles etc in it (minus seals) for a few hours before cleaning out the goop.
    Don’t worry about posting ‘bad’ art, if we can see it we can guide you better on how to improve. Risqué is ok but put ‘adult content ‘ in the thread title. Or just crop the photo to only show the face :)
    jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  4. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

When @Rick Martin lived there, there seemed to be a good supply of airbrush stuff at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Theres a Jerry's there? :eek: *punches Rick for not taking me there* lol
    jord001 and J000seph like this.
  5. wharvey

wharvey Young Tutorling

I'll have to check out Jerry's. Hate going to that part of S.A. due to traffic but there's also a pretty good camera shop that I like near where google maps shows Jerry's. There is a hobby shop just north of 410 on the north west side. I went to a couple of years ago but don't remember exactly where. Near North West Tools if I remember. They were mostly into models but had a pretty good selection, at least compared to what I've found at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's. I was surprised about the lack of art stores I found in S. A., which is a pretty big city. I use to live just north of Louisville, KY and there were 3 art stores within 20 miles that had a very good selection. The one in New Albany IN even offered air brushing classes.

I'm using 4012 and it is worlds better than anything else I've tried. I've reduced Wicked quite a bit more than 1:1 in the past but figured that was a good starting point. I dropped my pressure to a bit less than 15 psi and all the colors I've tried so far spray real nice at that pressure. Will play with both reduction and pressures as I practice. The biggest problem right now is control. (Besides my general lack of drawing ability. I don't think I'm observant enough to see the detail in the shapes I'm trying to reproduce. Practice should solve that, I hope.)

One problem I've noticed is that I have a problem with my progressive lenses glasses. I catch myself shifting where I look through the lenses. Even looking over the top of the lenses at times. This is the only thing I've ever had trouble with them.

Yes to restorer! That saved my tail when my old pain clogged everything up. I have a small glass bottle for the nozzle and other front end stuff. I also use a square shaped shot glass that is perfect for soaking the front end of the brush.

As to the face, I wasn't putting a lot of effort into getting all the proportions correct. She ended up with a mouth and jaw that jutted out more than Jimmy Durante's nose. Looked more like a mutated ant eater than a human. Mostly playing just checking out the paint out. Normally don't do that but I guess I couldn't get serious working on the back side of a sheet of copy paper I was going to throw out. My bad.
    jord001, J000seph and JackEb like this.