For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

New shot with createx Illustration

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by xvwarrior, May 13, 2015.

1. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

First crack with this stuff, not sure what i think, seems to flow better than wicked though the cm. This is on 4G paper and it seemed really difficult to scratch. scan003.jpg
    Diegojavbau likes this.
  2. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

It should not be difficult to scratch, I use it almost all the time now, not usually on the 4G but I have in be past. It's way better flowing than wicked though.
  3. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Thanks for the low down on the Illustrator range.
    Been contemplating getting some to try out and the advice is appreciated.
  4. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

Im thinking the problem lies in the fact Im using 4G paper not board. Early days yet but I will try on different media, keep ya posted. cheers Iv
  5. wmlepage

I used it on crescent illustration board for PP6 just fine. Maybe add some of the trans base and less reducer to get it to scratch better . Thinking it might not soak into the paper as much that way.
  6. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

hey wayne, that was on my list of trials, I hav'nt used the trans base yet. We'll see how it goes ;-)
  7. wmlepage

When doing detail work, I tend to start my mix at a 1:1:1, then I can further reduce if needed. That works in either my Cmc or cmb .
  8. wmlepage

Finishing up this Mad Max piece from the Rendezvous I am only slightly reduced and its flowing great. Way better than the marbles I kept trying to clear with wicked detail. That was Cory's choice at the rendezvous.
  9. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Scratching and erasability is more often than not down to the surface worked on instead of the paint used. The 4g from schoellershammer is more suited for erasing tahn for scratching. Scratching on paper will by defenition be harder than on board as it is thinner and generaly absorbs paint a bit more.

The crescent wmlepage mentions is the 1st surface I encountered that suits itself wel for scratching and erasing
    jagardn likes this.
  10. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

I was surprised by the matt finish, I even had to check I was using the 'a' side of the paper lol
  11. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I've only ever used the wicked range, illustration (and bloodline) is now my preferred after the few pieces I've done. It scratches just fine, I've found it's the substrate that causes issues. I'm about to trial sealing the surface of some of the more absorbent substrates. If the paint absorbs too far into the paper then you won't scratch properly without tearing up the surface.

LOL Haasje beat me to it
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  12. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

That makes perfect sense, when I'm using the 4G board it does tend to scratch better and erase poorly but that was with wicked. Im using the paper as a cheaper alternative. I must admit I never gave a thought to its absorbency. However the Howling wolf was the 4g paper with wicked and that seemed to scratch quite easily. From this I'm guessing wicked hardens off quicker and therefore does not have chance to soak in as much as the illustration. Think I'm answering my own question here. ;)
    haasje dutchairbrush likes this.
  13. xvwarrior

xvwarrior Ivan Cresswell

Lol!!. I was just thinking about sealing before use. For a guess the 'crosslinking' thingy doesnt help either on porous surfaces, I found that if I applied a new layer and attacked it with the scalpel immediately, i could get back to the substrate, but not for long before it hardened up again. Plus the substrate was tainted with colour 'dyed'. Maybe the more overcoating activates the paint again but also allows it to soak in even more. AAArrrgghhh!!!! Chicken egg syndrome. Just gotta find the parameters of this stuff and adjust to IT instead of the other way round. :)
    wmlepage likes this.
  14. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

That's the way ! ! work with it, not against it.
    Because I'm still in the trial and error stage of my airbrushing adventure I've been experimenting with a lot of different substrates. I don't produce anything worth preserving for the next 100 years so I'm still playing around with papers / cheaper foam board / MDF etc.
    The substrate is the only thing that changes, its always the same paint/ brushes/ lack of ability. Some substrates absolutely drink the paint up, others not so much. I cant fault the illustration paint, just what I paint onto.
    wmlepage likes this.