New sotar 20/20 fine nozel stuck from the factory

J

Jason75mm

I purchased a new sotar 20/20 3 in 1 from spraygunner its the refreshed model with the krome front in. Was going to swap out the .21 nozel and needle for the medium components prob is the fine nozel is pressed super tight in its socket. I had to take pliers to the hold down ring as it was over torked from the factory and this really pushed the spray tip into its socket. Im afraid to use tools and try and pry the tip off dont want to damage it. Anyone else having this issue with the new sotar models and found a way to get the tip off?

I think this is kind of common with brand-new brushes that use drop in nozzles, regardless or brand (it is in my experience, at least). Don't try to brute force it with metal pliers. Soak the tip in hot water for a minute or so, and that will help loosen it. If you still have to wrangle it, use your fingers and a bit of rubber sheet (like a square cut from an inner tube, or a wide rubber band, or a silicone coaster). Gently grip the entire length of the exposed nozzle, and apply sideways leverage by pressing on the side of the nozzle cone rather than the tip.

It should go without saying that you should fully remove the needle first, but I gotta say it just in case.

The threads on Badger brushes tend to be a bit gritty in my experience, so after you get the nozzle out, I recommend lapping all the threads in the head assembly with a fine polishing compound like Flitz. Just apply a small bit the the male thread, and screw the parts fully in and out about 20 times. This will clean and true up the threads so they fit much smoother and form a better seal. After doing this, make sure you thoroughly clean and degrease the parts before running any paint through the brush.

what he said. Sideways pressure is the way to go, and applying some heat to the nozzle, such as soaking in very hot water (just the very front of the brush) can help - the nozzles are only like 5 or 6 bucks on the Sotar, so if it is really buggin' ya, and refuses to budge, well... it won't break the bank to replace. When you put the new nozzle in, use a very little bit of vasaline, or chapstick on the lower portion of the nozzle taper, and the new one will not stick like the original.

Last edited:
So Jason, did you try it? Did the nozzle come loose? How did you get on, we do like to know.

Lee

The threads on Badger brushes tend to be a bit gritty in my experience, so after you get the nozzle out, I recommend lapping all the threads in the head assembly with a fine polishing compound like Flitz.

That is what I have tried to explain to others who haven't experienced a mid-high level iwata, is how smooth, and well tapped their threads are, so smooth. I got that conversation kit for my HP-CH, and on another airbrush discussion forum I posted a pic of the parts, and someone replied, "for the money you spent on iwata parts you could have gotten a 20/20". I was like no thanks, the kit was only $56, and I already own two Microns, so I'm good.lol;)

Back