Newbie from AZ

And one last question? Will this hurt my brush?
Maybe the reason I say maybe is because if you have the needle cap off when you put it in there you could bend the needle. being it looks like the support is where the needle cap will sit.

So my son wanted to try it out today after hockey practice. I let him go a little nuts the we played “the dot game”. You know connect the dots one line at a time until some one completes a square, the person with the most boxes wins. So in this case I drew a grid and we had to alternate doing 2 dots and connecting the line. He loved it.

Attachments

• A40E3CAD-FD6D-40DA-A97A-029545D74973.jpeg
    A40E3CAD-FD6D-40DA-A97A-029545D74973.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 11
And I went out tonight and practiced. I turned up the pressure to 30 psi, thoughts? And should I start a new thread for this to share my progress? If so where?

Attachments

• D19A898D-A418-4328-AB40-DCDD0E5D289A.jpeg
    D19A898D-A418-4328-AB40-DCDD0E5D289A.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 23
  • A4FEC170-5FC6-429E-B8BD-4B8826CB2D00.jpeg
    A4FEC170-5FC6-429E-B8BD-4B8826CB2D00.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 23
‘Createx Airbrush colours’ are aimed at the textile artists and like a higher psi (50+) so they push into the fabric, they could probably be reduced heavily and the psi reduced for practice purposes. The Createx candy can get a little wobbly with the 4012. They now recommend 4011 or 4013 as the go to reducer across the range, they are phasing 4012 out of production.
Make sure you keep the lid on the 4030 when you’re not pouring it into the airbrush. Some have had their 4030 turn to stone with air exposure
Some of the lines on the stars and circles are a bit wobbly, but that is normal for a beginner. The more confident you get, the quicker you will be and the smoother the line will be - grab a pen/pencil and very slowly draw a star/circle, then draw them at a more normal speed and check the difference. Same theory :)

doing exercises are a great way to get a feel for the brush and paint but don’t forget to have some fun too. Grab a kids colouring in book and ‘colour it in’ with the airbrush, it’s a fun way to learn how to stay within the lines, control overspray and practise blends and shading. The paper normally in those books are normally pretty absorbent so you don’t have to worry about spiders :)

‘Createx Airbrush colours’ are aimed at the textile artists and like a higher psi (50+) so they push into the fabric, they could probably be reduced heavily and the psi reduced for practice purposes.
Thanks for the tips. I’ve learned a lot about my various hobbies on forums and this one has been stellar so far, so thank you. Since my goal is to eventually work on metal panels would it make more sense to return the airbrush colors and pick up some Wicked colors to practice with after I work through some of the Com-Art playing on paper and gain some confidence? I figure that it couldn’t hurt to have an idea of how to thin that stuff.

Glad you are finding useful info, we like to help.
If you are able to return your unopened bottles of airbrush colours then I would do so. Wicked or wicked detail work well on metal panels.
If metal panels are your end goal then I’d suggest practicing on glass... I’ll hunt down a link from one of our original members who hasn’t been seen for awhile

The practice is looking good. That sheet I linked you too is a fun challenge as it’s still the same or similar process, but forces you to stick to a line and stuff. It really helped me get started. Nice one having your son join in, looks like you guys had fun.
As Jackster said, the Createx Colours are mainly aimed at TShirts, but they can be thinned down and used in other ways. The Autoair, Wicked and Illustration lines are all good multi surface paints. I use them on Aluminium panels which is what I like to paint on. I’m also shooting for Hotrod paint jobs and the AutoAir line has a good amount of Pearl, metallic and High metallic colours. It takes a bit of time to get your head round the full range, but there’s a tonne of videos on YouTube and Createx are good at keeping all their TDS up to date. Their website is a great source of information as they also have a lot of videos under the “Technical” tab.
https://autoaircolors.com/

Back