Newbie, just introducing myself

J

J.Dore

Hey guys,
I'm totally new, not only to this forum, but to airbrushing in general. I have used an airbrush for full coverage dye on some of my leather projects, but other than that, I have never really been around them. I picked my airbrush up about 4 days ago, for some reason determined to paint a new motorcycle helmet for my dad. No clue where that idea came from, but hey, who doesn't need 10 million hobbies?

I work at a bar, and my drunk ass ran around last night showing everyone pics of my work so far, and most seemed impressed with it, so I'm not doing as bad as I thought at least, but frankly, I'm not good at it at all yet.

So, details it was suggested I post -

• airbrush(s) - Iwata Neo, some other cheaper duel action siphon feed, and an even cheaper single action gravity that i can't figure out how to clean if my life depended on it
  • Location - Northern California.
  • goals - I want to eventually be able to do a full paint job on my dads harley by christmas (so 11 months away). Then one day do my little 68 f100, but no rush there.

Welcome home J.Dore in order to be able to paint your dad's bike by Christmas ya best get to practice on them dots and daggers. Also have a design in mind of what he wants you to paint on it and practice that . no short cuts when it comes to learning to airbrush .
So post up some of those pics ya been showing to some drunks and let us drunks have a look :D

Welcome J.Dore. It’s good to have a goal in mind especially when choosing paints and a surface to paint on. Glad to have you aboard Buddy. Feel free to post up those pics you were showing at the bar. We always like seeing where everybody is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Like Mr.Micron and SiRoxx have said, for dad's bike have a goal in mind and practice it, a lot. That's pretty much what you have to do with airbrushing in general, practice practice practice. The more time you put in the quicker you will pick it up and improve. Definitely post up some of your pics so we can see where your at, then if you need any advice we can see your skill level and give you tips n tricks to suit.

Enjoy your stay

Lee

Welcome from Australia.
Throw some paint in the brush and start getting a feel for it. Just make sure you use the appropriate paint and not the normal craft/hobby type paint, it will minimise your frustrations

Welcome from the UK. Painting a bike by Christmas is totally do-able, but you gotta put in the hours of practice. I recommend getting some old bike tanks or similar to practise on, get used to the prep, finish, painting on metal, curved surfaces, and matching up both sides etc. Also work on those free hand skills for an original look.

Welcome to the forum! Practise is the way to get better as the only other opinion is to take a few classes if you have the money to do so
The airbrush tutors video on his blog and his how to videos will help speed up the learning curve also

Here’s some examples of where I’m currently at, I can type up a better response when it’s not 4am and I’m just getting off work. I read most of the comments earlier, but didn’t have good enough service at work to reply so I’ll get back to you all tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• 33B8944C-2232-4455-AB3B-6050CD759535.jpeg
    33B8944C-2232-4455-AB3B-6050CD759535.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 14
  • A3C136E3-7065-4540-868C-CF22E70A9D09.jpeg
    A3C136E3-7065-4540-868C-CF22E70A9D09.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 12
Here’s some examples of where I’m currently at, I can type up a better response when it’s not 4am and I’m just getting off work. I read most of the comments earlier, but didn’t have good enough service at work to reply so I’ll get back to you all tomorrow. :)
You should just ghost in paint over your stencil then build up the darkest areas free hand so it does not look like a stencil was used. It is a common thing when you're first starting out to go too dark to fast.

Those Six Pack O Skullz stencils are really cool. I love the design of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back