For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

out side my comfort zone

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I just got the message : the HD batwing is on its way to me so I can do the art work on it so far no problem and still in my comfort zone but I need to use the same paint that has been used on the bike and I need to duplicate the art that was done on it and that is so not my style but the painter who did the bike no longer has a spray booth and doesnt mind that I was asked to do it so that is also not the problem
    Using HOK paints and spraying in a proper spray booth now that is a different ball game I have never used a solvent based paint and I hardly ever used a spray gun so I hope my friend who has offered me the use of the spray booth will help me with the spray gun and the HOK paint
    the art work it self is nothing special and I dont need to use the airbrush for the details as the fairing is black and the pinstripes and details need to be black so vinyl masking and fine line tape will do the trick
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

You'll do fine Ron, the customer obviously had enough confidence in your ability to allow you to do it and i'm sure your spray booth buddy will be on hand.
    from what I hear solvents are easier to spray but require a respirator, so please make sure you have a good fitting one, we'd like to keep you around for a few more years :)
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  3. Ronald art

no worries Jacky the spray booth is part of a pro spray paint shop and it has the works from coverall's to respirators :)
    jord001, JackEb and SiRoxx like this.
  4. Ronald art

well it is a good thing my customer knows custom paint isnt cheap I just ordered the HOK paint not including the primer and 2k clear and she owes already 110 Euro and I havnt got a price for the primer clear and vinyl stencils yet :) but she told me no problem :D
    jord001 likes this.
  5. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

Whats a batwing? Is that like the cowling up by the handlebars? Or is this a Batman themed paint job? Lol
    jord001 likes this.
  6. Ronald art

A harley fairing is called a batwing due to its shape and there wont be a batman themed job on it :D
    jord001 likes this.
  7. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

Ah thats what I thought, can't wait to see it! I know you'll do amazing work.
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Ronald art

the fairing is in tha house :) I cleaned it scruffed it and I will de-grease it tomorrow after a final checkup to see if I may missed a spot
    DSCN1620.JPG
  9. Ronald art

I might as well share the custom paint job that is one the bike
    ms.jpg
  10. Ronald art

this fairing nearly did my head in till I found the problem that is :) I did trace the scallops on the tank to make sure I could make the the same as on the tank and this is were it all went wrong : I used my ruller to measure the size but that ruler cant be used on the curves on the fairing so I thought I would use a old house hold tape measure and this is were it went wrong a cm on my ruller is a real cm but on that house hold thingy a cm is not a real cm it is 1,2 cm I know it is only 2 mm but it does make a big difference so I made paper templates to the size I need and started all over again starting with base lines that mark the top and bottom off the scallops and marked the points and bottom curves
    DSCN1623.JPG
    jord001, bad65 and huskystafford like this.
  11. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Household (dressmaking type) tapes will often stretch
  12. Ronald art

I know and the one I have did just that
    jord001, JackEb and huskystafford like this.
  13. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

Not that I like when something goes wrong when you guys are doing projects, but when it does go wrong it's a great info for rest of us what to not do or what to do, when we have similar situation.
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  14. Ronald art

making mistakes or things going wrong is all part off the game and I dont mind admitting my mistakes
  15. Ronald art

I didnt feel like measuring and taping today and I longed for slinging some paint this broom will be cleaned up before I mask it off for final paint but in this stage it doesnt need to be perfect
    DSCN1625.JPG
    jord001, doc1 and huskystafford like this.
  16. Ronald art

after 2 failed attempts with the wrong tape it is take 3 on taping off the base lines this time with electrical tape and it works :) and I made a start with masking the pinstripes and scallop shapes as close as I can to the original ones on the tank but then I realized the fine line tape I have is for water based paint and not solvent proof . I am just glad I caught this mistake in time and there is no set dead line for this job other then "hope you get it done before May"
    DSCN1629.JPG
    jord001, doc1, twood and 1 other person like this.
  17. Ronald art

I never felt the need to buy a plotter so I had to ask a favor from a friend to cut me the vinyl stencils I need for this paint job and he send me these stencils today DSCN1632.JPG the witches broomsticks are 2 inch long and the crown about 4 inch wide just the way the customer wants it
    jord001, doc1, twood and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ronald art

like I said I am out off my comfort zone with this one and it has set me some real challenges but I am getting close to booking that spray booth :)
    all that is left to do is to correct 2 scallop shapes and carefully cut the ends off the tape to pointy shapes
    DSCN1634.JPG
    jord001, doc1 and huskystafford like this.
  19. Ronald art

As I am getting close to actually laying down some paint I looked up my HVLP mini spraygun I bought years ago for less than 20 Euro and checked if it stil sprayed ( I used plain water ) well it did spray but as to be expected from a cheap gun it didnt spray good so I went looking for a replacement gun this time in the mid range guns as a Sata is way to expensive and I found this one on the net for just under 90 euro and ordered it
    the gun came in the mail today
    DSCN1637.JPG besides the 1/4 connection it also has a 1/8 connection I did a quick test if I could use it with my airbrush compressor and it works just fine so not bad for a mid range hplv minigun
    doc1, huskystafford and jord001 like this.
  20. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Your doing great Ronald, looking forward to seeing this project progress.

Lee
    huskystafford likes this.