Paint thinning

A

atsorrento

Hello, I have a couple of questions on how and where to thin createx colors primary paint. using a veda wd 180 w/0.2mm needle.
1. How long does the paint last after thinning using either 5601 Transparent Base or Createx 5608 Illustration Base?
2. Do I thin the paint in the airbrush cup, the original bottle or some other container?

Hi.
I don't know specifically about createx paints, but I do have a Veda 180.
Most of us will mix our paints in the cup as we go, however if you intend to do larger pics, you will need larger amounts of it and if you do not mix it all in the beggining, you will be unable to match it exactly if you need more.
This will require airtight storage, even if your thinning medium [reducer] is water.
To begin with, place small number of drops of paint in the cup, then add your thinning medium.
Depending on what you're doing it might be somewhere about 12 drops of medium to 1 of paint.
If I'm trying somthing new, I'll start there and work my way up with the reducer - depending on the opacity of the paint itself.
If it's a transarent it'll work the same - just increases it's transparency that's all.
If you're still uncertain, do a few test runs on some scrap paper / cardstock or whatever first.
It'll give you ideas about what's possible and what's not.
Hope this helps you out.
Cheers

You need reducer or water to thin it as in more fluid. Trans base will weaken the colour or extend it, if you only need a small amount you can do it in the cup, put the reducer or base in first

Like Musicmacd said, transparent base is not reducer. It's just transparent paint. You will need proper reducer for your paint. Also that paint was not designed for such small nozzles. It will clog the nozzle and thinning will not help because it does not make the pigment smaller. It just think the carrier.

It can be confusing starting out.
Createx primary is designed for textiles, hence the larger nozzle requirement. Createx Wicked and Createx Illustration work for everything, and with reducer will go through a micron nozzle.

4012 is the reducer for the illustration and auto-air range (water is also able to be used if you need to)
5090 is the transparent base. Think of it as a colourless paint as MusicMacD has said, use it with minimal paint and you'll get a very soft translucent look.

as for 'how long will it last when mixed' it depends on your weather, NEVER leave paint in your brush. if you're going to leave it longer than a coffee break, finish what you have in the cup, then flush then wander off. If you're making up a batch in a bottle then you should be good for week.

You'll be amazed at just how little paint you use, so don't go mixing up a whole bottle worth at once.

There is no magic formula for thinning paint unfortunately as there are to many variables. The type, size and brand of brush, brand and line of paint, large area quick coverage, super fine detail, weather and humidity, even what colour you're using as they have different amounts of pigment.

Its a case of trial and error. Rule of thumb is more reduction = less pressure, and thinner paint = more passes for colour density but more control for detail. So you have to find a balance that works for you depending on what coverage you want.

When you have a good flow that doesn't skip or spider, and gives smooth non grainy coverage note that mixture down. That becomes your base mixture, which you can then adjust as necessary on a daily basis by a drop or two (or three) more or less reducer to take into account any of the variable if needed. Sounds a pain, but quickly becomes second nature.

Wow, thank you all for your responses. Now I know that a base is not a reducer. I guess the createx site really confused me when they said:
Createx Airbrush Colors....reduce with either Createx 5601 Transparent Base or Createx 5608 Illustration Base

I think their terminology is confusing. Transparent /illustration base reduces pigment volume, it doesn't reduce the viscosity of the paint for better flow through small nozzles. :)

Back