Painting model cars, want a nice look-- brands?

jkj2000

Young Tutorling
I know about Gravity Paints and Zero Paints as two manufacturers that have a wide selection of automotive colors. Being in the USA it's probably easier to get Gravity Paint, but was wondering if there were other manufacturers in this sector?

By that I mean I know there's everything from Testor's enamel to AutoAir, but I was wondering if there were additional firms that do what Gravity and Zero do and supply matching factory colors, particularly pearls and metallics. Thanks!

I just look for the original color code for the one I want and go to the paintshop and buy 150g of that color and it is way cheaper that buying model brands and can choose ppg, glasurit debeer or the original brand who made the original color for that factory car.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I know very little about paints for model cars, so I’ll be watching this thread to see what’s out there just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go the real paint route just keep in mind flake size can look really out of scale on a model for metallics sometimes.
That's weird I never had that issue in years, neither the people in the automotive forums that I am part!
that can happen if you want to do a low rider and use flakes with candies but wont happens if you use the original paints.

That's weird I never had that issue in years, neither the people in the automotive forums that I am part!
that can happen if you want to do a low rider and use flakes with candies but wont happens if you use the original paints.

.005 mini flake (in lots of original metallic) looks like bass boat flake on a hot wheel. Just does.

my bad, I forgot that you know and do it all, and by the way, most of the contest winner in model cars show were painted with original paints! [emoji3166]

As the old saying says, an image worth thousand words!! The mini was painted with Testor Paint (model paint) as the one that the people of that forum talk about, I painted the spoon exactly 15 minute ago with Debeer H8R Orange Met from Subaru/Toyota 86 original color! So wich one looks out of scale??
414d814c26deb5ea5f3d4a1e067061e2.jpg

04d8f381c7e555f11d4fd01ca4bb8f2b.jpg

5661086bcdaf431aca6139e2941df812.jpg

By the way, Zero-Paints need a +0,3 needle, that is what I use for the spoon HP-CS 0,35 needle, mmm[emoji848], won't be that the best model paints are actually Original Car Paints?

Last edited:
I just look for the original color code for the one I want and go to the paintshop and buy 150g of that color and it is way cheaper that buying model brands and can choose ppg, glasurit debeer or the original brand who made the original color for that factory car.

Thanks. When you spray these PPG and other paints, how much reduction do you use in the airbrush, and what reducer do you use?

I just buy an automotive grade thinner and use it with all the brands without issue, or some times just plain acetone. Ask the paint shop in your area and they will lead you to the correct thinner.
And I use 1 part reducer 2 part paint some times 1:1 a 0.35 nozzle/needle combo with 20 PSI.

As the old saying says, an image worth thousand words!! The mini was painted with Testor Paint (model paint) as the one that the people of that forum talk about, I painted the spoon exactly 15 minute ago with Debeer H8R Orange Met from Subaru/Toyota 86 original color! So wich one looks out of scale??
414d814c26deb5ea5f3d4a1e067061e2.jpg

04d8f381c7e555f11d4fd01ca4bb8f2b.jpg

5661086bcdaf431aca6139e2941df812.jpg

By the way, Zero-Paints need a +0,3 needle, that is what I use for the spoon HP-CS 0,35 needle, mmm[emoji848], won't be that the best model paints are actually Original Car Paints?

great example. The testors definitely looks out of scale there.

just like i said, you just have to bear in mind the flake size.

chrysler f8 oem paint looks out of scale.

Theres no blanket perfect answer

i really dont understand what your contention is.
first it was flake size and scale are never an issue unless its candy

now it seems your saying its never an issue with oem, just testors.

so...never watch flake size w oem?
is that where i said something wrong .....?

Last edited:
i really dont understand what your contention is.
first it was flake size and scale are never an issue unless its candy

now it seems your saying its never an issue with oem, just testors.

so...never watch flake size w oem?
is that where i said something wrong .....?
[emoji1303]

Oh, ok.
zero paints;
"The colours are mixed using a formula which guarantees a perfect reproduction of the original colour. We do however, scale down paints with large metallic flakes to suit scale models."

wierd, guess its just me.

Last edited:
Oh, ok.
zero paints;
"The colours are mixed using a formula which guarantees a perfect reproduction of the original colour. We do however, scale down paints with large metallic flakes to suit scale models."

wierd, guess its just me.
Just a question, how many model cars did you paint with oem and models paints?

somewhere in the 80s or so.
These days i just do the real thing with oem or otherwise, every day.

Oh hey, gravity paint scales their flake too.... such wierd people...why would they scale the flake for oem matches?? waste of effort.

somewhere in the 80s or so.
These days i just do the real thing with oem or otherwise, every day.

Oh hey, gravity paint scales their flake too.... such wierd people...why would they scale the flake for oem matches?? waste of effort.
We are in the same way that in 3D printing issue.
My dad once when I was a kid said to me, the real knowledge come from your own experience, no matter how much books you read or what other people says, never talk about things that you never did and never by any means believe in advertising.
But the best lesson I learn from him was, never waste your time arguing with people that think that know it all.
[emoji1303]

Back