Painting on wood??????

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I am starting to build a few bird houses and bird feeders for my back yard and was wondering how to prep the wood for airbrushing. I have a lot of Golden High Flow, Etac EFX and some Createx Ill. and a little Createx Wicked paints.
I've never painted on wood and it looks like it would be fun to paint on them.
Also, what would I need to use to seal the paint from the weather.

Any advice would be well received.

Richard

Use sanding sealer to prep wood before painting. Couple of coats and a light sanding in between then you can prime it with base coat, sealer, or whatever. Otherwise the surface will be really rough. I skipped applying sanding sealer on one project and the paint raised the wood grain up. Wasted a lot of time and paint sanding and repainting to fill in the wood grain and get the surface smooth (sort of).

Hellbird is spot on assuming the wood is smooth. If it's rough sawn and you don't care about a smooth finish, you don't need to do as much prep, but I would still use some sort of sealer/primer so the surface isn't as porous when you apply the paint. You will get more consistent results.

As for sealing the final finish, you have a lot of options. You could clearcoat it with an airbrush clear, or pick up a rattle can clear enamel or polyurethane in whatever sheen you want.

Back