Painting onto a landrover?

Ttxela

Mac-Valve Maestro!
My friend has an old Landrover and would like me to paint some bullet holes onto it. The paint on the Landrover is very flat and matt and doesn't look to have any sort of lacquer/clearcoat. My concern is that the airbrush paint would be easily damaged and whilst that might not be a disaster if the work was something like signwriting as it would just look 'vintage' I think damage to a bullethole would just make it look an obvious fake since a scratch across a hole would in effect expose the fact it's not really a hole.

For the sake of a few bulletholes that will take a few minutes to paint, clearing the whole vehicle would seem excessively costly and clearing one panel would make it look different. I know you can get matt finish clearcoats but I suspect even that would make a single panel stand out from the rest of the vehicle. Any thoughts? I wonder if solvent paints would last better without a clear? Damage is likely as he does take the thing off road.

That is a tricky one Alex. My guess would be to do the bullet hole effect, then use the negative stencil to spray satin or Matt clear so that it’s only over the graphic. I don’t know how well that would stand up, my guess is it might make the paint look like a sticker, but might be worth trying on a practice panel.

If the landrover has a flat matt look just clear with a flat matt clear over the bullet hole, I painted bullet holes in a friends truck with Wicked, No clear on it what so ever and the bullet holes have held up over 10 years with no issues, I did not even scuff the area I painted them .

Last edited:
Yes, matt clear just over the airbrushed bit might work, perhaps I was over thinking it.

Back