Painting Size

T

Truestory242

What size canvas does everyone use? I've been painting on 8 1/2" x 11" card stock paper and it occurred to me that it might actually be a rather small for a support medium.

Depends on a whole heap of thins. Smallest I've done is business card, biggest is about A1 although I am also working on a mural, 2 x 5m. 5x7" is a common size and the size of our paint pals. A4 and A5 are also pretty common. That size sounds fine.

It depends on a couple factors.
A smaller working area means less material used (i.e paint), but unless you have a fairly small needle size you will have to sacrifice detail. A larger working area is the opposite. It all comes down to personal preference and what you want to achieve or practice for techniques .For instance illustration paper is a great support for practice and finished pieces. It has a low cost and can be a little more forgiving then a hard surface when comes to absorbing paint. But then again too much paint and the paper will buckle. Not too mention you can't scratch textures into it without damaging it.
All supports have there ups and downs along with the different sized canvas'.
I like to use illustration paper that is a 9x12 size because of
1)low cost of paper
2)not a lot of paint is needed for projects
3)what ever you can do small you can do large
4)I use a lot of templates that i print and cut out from my printer ( which the paper is 8x11).
5) illustration paper is generally a multi medium paper (ie acrylic, ink, marker, pencil)
Anyways it comes down to personal preference,what techniques you want to practice and what you want to achieve in the end.
Hopefully this helps take care.

Agree, whatever size you feel like working on.
Larger sizes are easier when starting out, gets your confidence going

I really enjoy working on small size - business card size. Very quick to get out and getting the detail is a quicker process...

Wow. What do you paint that's business cards? Business cards?

Wow. What do you paint that's business cards? Business cards?

For most of us painting that small is just a means of pushing ourselves when it comes to small detail, the smaller we try to do it, the better we'll get at because we are left with no choice but succeed:) Mark always does well because he has the discipline to keep up the practice on small projects:thumbsup:

If I do portraits I will generally work on A3 because a head and shoulders format would come out close to life size, but the size you choose should be based on your project and your comfort level, I have worked as big a A1 but found spending more than a week on project tedious.

Back