For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

playing around with my HP SB+ again

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

it has been about 10 years ago since I last used my HP SB+ as a detail/ every day airbrush but now my micron is down and waiting for a new nozzle I picked it up again to see if I still got the feel for that airbrush
    After struggling with it for a few minutes finding the right pressure set up I noticed the needle was not sitting in the nozzle as it should do and I swapped the nozzle for the one I soaked and cleaned just the other day and that made all the difference so time to soak the nozzle I removed and give it a good clean tomorrow
    back to playing around in order to get my feel for this brush back so I can use it again as it is a nice and good airbrush and the only thing that is holding it back from preforming is my trigger finger
    After about 5 minutes testing and just doing some lines I started to get the feel back and I was able to pull some real fine lines I need to for my next painting I still need to think about the trigger movement but it is coming back to me and I feel confidant enough to start with a new painting
    doc1, jord001, JackEb and 1 other person like this.
  2. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I love the HP series! While I do like the "B" as one of my mainstays, I have been using the SB more and more. I may have a partial solution to your trigger "feel" and will be sending you a little something to try out, soon.
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  3. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I've been off the sauce I mean brush for 2 months and I really felt it when I got back. I just had to do basic exercises for quite a while. Gun is performing right, it is just me that is too aggressive.
    jord001 and DaveG like this.
  4. Ronald art

thanks Dave I look forward to see what solution you have come up with
    jord001 and DaveG like this.
  5. Ronald art

I have been playing with the HP SB+ for 2 days now and I start to fall in love with this airbrush all over again !
    I really need to upgrade it with some new parts , the old needle seal sort of works but it needs to be lubed every time I clean the paint out and back flush I use Robby's AB balm to lube it but the methanol I use to clean (and back flush) just washes it away so a new Dave G seal and nut are ordered
    the needle is as I expected it to be good but just a standard Iwata needle and gives me dry tip so a 0.2 SN1 needle is ordered
    the nozzle is good but not new and I think I will order a replacement PS 270 nozzle in the UK as that one is only 19 euro's instead of the 45 euro a original would set me back down here in the Netherlands

All in all the replacements are adding up but this airbrush is worth to be restored to its former glory and I really should start using it more
    jord001, doc1 and DaveG like this.
  6. Ronald art

and today I found out why I switched to using a micron years ago : while this HP SB+ is almost as good as a micron I am not able to controle my etac efx paynes grey straight from the bottle and yes I know I was pushing my luck and I should have made this paint more transparent as I used to do back in the days the HP SB was my only airbrush but I just wanted to know if I could do it like I do with my micron :)
    jord001 likes this.
  7. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

I find it funny that the same paint can act so differently in different brushes.
  8. Ronald art

while the paint is the same the airbrushes are not and it all depends on how good the airflow is
    the micron has the beter head set that makes all the difference I can use Etac efx straight up or with some extra transparent base added to it at low pressure but I cant do the same with the HP SB+ I need to add about 25% water to the efx to get full control over the paint
    MarcosD likes this.