Practice Airbrush

N

Neural

Before I get to high end things like dagger strokes, I need to work on getting my arm and hand to simply follow lines and curves of various types without wiggling or going off course, etc.

Being that this is about control, and not so much quality, can I get away with a cheap external mix airbrush?

I'm looking at using one different from my Talon because I'd like to practice daily, without the hassle of the cleanup. I figure a single action external mix would be the fastest to clean up, but is that really the most economical path?

Theoretically yes, you could do this. Since you have a Talon you could get an H model, which is inexpensive and will hook right up to what you've got. Its also a well made brush, not "cheap". It is also very easy to clean if you use the little paint cup and not a bottle.

The downside to this is you won't be using your "double action" technique while you practice, which may affect what you're able to do later on. As in "I can follow lines with my H, but not with my Talon". Just something to think about!

More airbrushing = more clean up.

No way around it. Get a good cleaning kit.
Not necessarily true. An external mix brush is far easier to clean than an internal mix. I use my HS when I don't feel like doing a lot of cleaning lol.

Not necessarily true. An external mix brush is far easier to clean than an internal mix. I use my HS when I don't feel like doing a lot of cleaning lol.
How often do u clean your airbrush? because I just spray 2 times with cleaning solution in the cups one backflush and that's all, I used it month ago and try it yesterday and worked fine.
IMG_7234.JPGIMG_7235.JPG
As u can see they are very clean, I used liquitex paint.
Pd: those are one stroke lines at really slow speed with different with and taper tips. It is a very good exercise for control and accuracy.

Last edited:

I see your point about the external mix. Or you can do like the t-shirt guys and just leave paint loaded in your siphon feed. I've stopped for the night and left paint in my airbrush with the lid on. I was able to clean the tip dry and continue the next day.

No matter what it only takes somewhere between one second and 3 minutes to clean up.
You could always just spray water on cardboard , by the time you get to the bottom you can start over again and there is no cleanup...or tip dry.

I’ve always been a believer in practicing with what you intend to use.
As pointed out above, the different brush will behave differently.
Using water & food colouring is normally something I’d recommend for those just starting and wanting to get a feel for airbrushing without spending $$ on paint.
The food dye will certainly be easy to clean but as it is a water consistency you’ll have to be careful of it ‘running/pooling if you put too much paint down without moving quickly enough, or spidering if your psi is too high and your movement to slow.
Cleaning is a slow process when starting out, but it gets quicker and easier the more you do it. Remember you shouldn’t have to do a full tear down every time unless you’re having serious clogging issues, in which case you need to look at how you’re reducing your paint.

Pick a paint that you can easily get locally that is newbie friendly eg: E’tac, com-art, golden high flow

I'd agree just use what you intend to spray with, feel it out and find that sweet spot while you're practicing, when I use golden I spray some water through then leave it over night, get a new cup of water and spray out the next day, it has kept me from breaking down the gun all the time which is no fun and can damage parts. If I notice something chunky going on in my nozzle I throow it in a small container of lacquer thinner for 5 minutes.

Back