Pre Cleaner Question

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hey Guys and Girls,
Recently I’ve started painting on aluminium panels and am really liking them. I’ve been using both Solvent and Water based paint and I need a pre cleaner. After looking online I’ve found Solvent based and Water based Pre Cleaners and I don’t know which one to buy. Do I need both? Or will one do for both paint types?
Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should have put this in Beginners Questions really, but you know the saying... If in doubt “Open Bar” lol.

Hey Guys and Girls,
Recently I’ve started painting on aluminium panels and am really liking them. I’ve been using both Solvent and Water based paint and I need a pre cleaner. After looking online I’ve found Solvent based and Water based Pre Cleaners and I don’t know which one to buy. Do I need both? Or will one do for both paint types?
Many thanks.

Prepsol.
Which is mainly mineral spirits.
You can use mineral spirits but I personally shy away from hardware store types as you just never know if it's up to snuff.

Really anything meant to prep is good, however water based are typically not so great for bare steel so your extremely mild mineral spirits based prep solutions are just that much more versatile.

In a pinch with bare metal just wipe with reducer or lacquer thinner or alcohol. These just won't eliminate residual silicones used in detailing products like mineral spirits will but I don't think that's an issue for panels.

If it was a mil spec type deal then there's a phosphate required within minutes of stripping it bare but I don't think we are getting that picky.

Ok cool.
The bit that confuses me is that I’ll often see people spray pre cleaner over art work to simulate what it’ll look like with clear. Would something like this melt the water based paint?
https://www.tetconnect.com/paint___refinishing/panel_wipes/PWD005-

Probably not if you don't wipe it or rub it with any pressure.

Looks pretty similar to prepsol.

All you can really do there is test it, unless you've found someone using that particular product sprayed on your particular paint.

I've only ever seen prepsol effect a silicone modified alkyd enamel that wasn't fully cured.

Probably not if you don't wipe it or rub it with any pressure.

Looks pretty similar to prepsol.

All you can really do there is test it, unless you've found someone using that particular product sprayed on your particular paint.

I've only ever seen prepsol effect a silicone modified alkyd enamel that wasn't fully cured.
Sounds like a plan. It’ll be useful for bare surfaces even if it’s too harsh for the water based, so I’ll grab some soon and give it a try.

Personally i'd use a solvent based one on bare panels. i believe that you can use it on waterbased paint to see what it will look like with a clear on but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe with a water based one I would risk it. Water is the safest bet just to see what it would look like with a clear.

Lee

Personally i'd use a solvent based one on bare panels. i believe that you can use it on waterbased paint to see what it will look like with a clear on but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe with a water based one I would risk it. Water is the safest bet just to see what it would look like with a clear.

Lee

Suppose the artwork is finished and left to dry completly, by using water (on water based paints) to see how it'll look when clear coated, how much time is needed to apply clear coat? Since if I'm correct you're not supposed to wipe it right?

Suppose the artwork is finished and left to dry completly, by using water (on water based paints) to see how it'll look when clear coated, how much time is needed to apply clear coat? Since if I'm correct you're not supposed to wipe it right?
You're probably looking at a few hours

Back