For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Project_01

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Menno, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:59 PM.

1. Menno

Menno Young Tutorling

Hi guys,

Finally got my stuff up and running. I'm really happy with my new compressor (Rolair AB-5 (although reasonably quiet, had hoped to get an even more quiet one, but that's prob not possible without spending too much $$$)) and iawata hp-cp (perfect), they work like a charm.

Now working on my first project, which is going to be a painting of my niece in Australia. My idea was to first draw a typical Australian landscape (decided on the Uluru) with my niece on foreground. To this end I want to paint my niece on another canvas, cut it out, glue it on a plate and attach it in front of the background.

I can imagine however that this might cause some technical issues. For instance:
    - What would happen if I cut the canvas?
    - Could the glue affect the paint?
    Etc.
    Has anyone ever tried something like this? Does anyone have tips? Might it perhaps be better / easier if I would draw my niece on a wooden (?) board?

Attached a photo of the Uluru and my progress uptill now. I've only been using black to draw contours & shade.

Other questions regarding the painting:
    - spray a bit of black on every piece (of the ground) that has a bit of shade (darker red)?
    - regarding the plants in the middle, will it be better to add details / texture using black, or should I only draw areas of shade and add details using white / yellow / green later on?
    Obviously, any other comment / suggestion is very welcome! :)

cheers,
    Menno

Attached Files:

2. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

A great start. You have a very keen eye as well as great execution.

I don't think there is one singular way to go about it - some people like to establish dark values first and then add on hues, others add on layer by layer to establish darker parts. Some people stay away from using any black at all. My own take is that a solid "underpainting" (as far as this is applicable for airbrush work) can go a long way, but I am unsure myself whether it serves to achieve the most photorealistic effect possible.

A painting is a trick on the eye - I personally believe that you don't need to establish every single detail, as the eye is filling in automatically if done well. However, in my own experience, when using airbrush, this works better if you go from light to dark (i.e. a light shade, and adding darker details) rather than using lighter highlights on a darker layer. Brighter details over darker layers can appear tacky as freehand airbrush lacks a definitive edge (using an old-fashion bristle brush would lend itself better for that). It really depends on what your own vision is and what you want to achieve. If you don't know (we are probably all in the same boat!), then it's about practicing and figuring out what works best for you and what results you like the best.

I personally am no authority on photorealism. Paul / musicmacd however did a similar piece recently, maybe he can weigh in with some hints.