Question about Createx 4004 Transparent Base

Karl Becker

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I think I already know the answer, so I'm looking for confirmation, I guess.

I took a quick peek on the Createx website and couldn't even find this product listed. It's pretty thick, which leads me to believe it's formulated like the Createx Airbrush Colors. On the bottle, it lists Auto-Air and Wicked. Am I correct in assuming that it can be used with any line of Createx paint?

Thanks!

Yes, it can. However, it performs best with wicked, aa or classic createx. Unlike the transparent medium for createx illustration, it is not sheared at the micron level, so it doesn't spray quite as nice as illustration out of the bottle. I recommend using a bit more reducer with paint you use it with than the same with CI trans medium.

I strongly recommend that you spend the extra 2 bucks and step up to the CI trans base. It is basically the same formula, but the acrylic resin is sheared much finer, so it is easier and smoother to spray.

That being said, I sill have a couple of large bottles of it in my studio. Mostly tho, I use it when trying to reduce color intensity on clothing or hard surfaces where I am more likely to use auto-air or classic createx lines. For illustration, or fine art, I prefer the CI trans medium.

All of the createx products are safe to mix back and forth between lines. But you may find that it can change the characteristics of the paint in either a way you like, or a way you don't. So experiment to see what works for you.

My recommend tho is to get the CI trans if you can. It is in my opinion an all around better medium.

Thanks Kim.

My reason for asking is I already have the 4004 on hand, where as I would have to find a source for the CI trans medium online. However, based on your reply, I will probably do that. The CI I currently have is transparent already, so not an issue. I am planning ahead because I will most likely pick up some opaque as well.

Listening to my brain as I type this, I will have to order the paint online anyway, so it's a no brainer.

Thanks again!

#5601 is the textile 'airbrush color' trans base
#4004 is for wicked / wicked detail
#5090 is the Illustration one.

Transbase is one of the most useful products you can have in your tool kit, it reduces the pigment load without reducing viscosity so you can lay down light layers of colour without spraying product that is thin like water.
think of it as clear paint, by using 4 drops of trans base and 1 of paint you get a good consistency without your paint being like water and splattering everywhere. you just add enough reducer to get a smooth flow.
every time I order paint I order 5090 trans base.

if you already have the 4004 then try it, you may get on fine with it, when you order paints just get a 2oz bottle of the 5090 to see if you like it better.
like Kim said most things createx will work across the series.

I can only agree with Kim and Jackster, Transbase is a really useful tool. I still use it with Illustration colours depending on what I’m wanting from them. Personally I find the Illustration one nicer to use. But I did a lot of work with Wicked at the beginning and the wicked Trans is fine. Just really down to preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kim.

My reason for asking is I already have the 4004 on hand, where as I would have to find a source for the CI trans medium online. However, based on your reply, I will probably do that. The CI I currently have is transparent already, so not an issue. I am planning ahead because I will most likely pick up some opaque as well.

Listening to my brain as I type this, I will have to order the paint online anyway, so it's a no brainer.

Thanks again!

just to clarify for you, as it’s confusing even when you have a basic idea! You come across like you want to use the trans base to make paint transparent? Which is understandable. In reality you can’t make transparent part as such, it just becomes thinner and more pastel type effect. If you use it with opaque paint then you get a more blue shift type effect, this can be desirable for effects like Smoke and creating certain skin tones. when you use the CI Trans Base with CI, you can thin paint and keep the transparency, this can buy you a safety net because if you spray too heavy you will flood your work, but when used with control, you can shift colours with precision :)
Hope this makes sense

just to clarify for you, as it’s confusing even when you have a basic idea! You come across like you want to use the trans base to make paint transparent? Which is understandable. In reality you can’t make transparent part as such, it just becomes thinner and more pastel type effect. If you use it with opaque paint then you get a more blue shift type effect, this can be desirable for effects like Smoke and creating certain skin tones. when you use the CI Trans Base with CI, you can thin paint and keep the transparency, this can buy you a safety net because if you spray too heavy you will flood your work, but when used with control, you can shift colours with precision :)
Hope this makes sense
Thank you for the reply. :)

I understand that trans base is basically just paint without the pigment, so it will only reduce the opacity of what you add it to. Much like over reducing, but without compromising the binders and whatnot that allow the paint to perform like it should. I think I'm good on that part.

What you said about adding trans base to an already transparent paint was an aspect I had not considered, so thanks for that!

Back