Quick look at a vintage Wold A2

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I've just begun researching how old this brush may actually be, as I really have no way of telling. Wold produced brushes in Chicago up until the 80's sometime... I suspect this brush to be a good bit older than that, though.
Wold-A2-in-box1.jpg
Wold-a2-1st-pict.jpg

When I received it, the brush itself looks to be in fairly good order - not much physical damage, bumps or bruises, but was quite dirty. It had the wrong size needle installed; the nozzle is a .2, but there was a .5 needle installed in the brush. There was however a .2 needle included in the box. The nozzle was partially plugged with dry paint.

The regulator cap is finely threaded, and like the older Thayer Chandlers, would allow the user to tune the airflow over the nozzle for best atomization. Wold did of course have a hand in designing Thayer Chandlers early brushes, after all.
Wold-A2-head1.jpg

Intricate head assembly, that is really beautifully machined. Head is actually a 4 hole design.
Wold-A2-head2.jpg Wold-A2-nozzle-base1.jpg

The brush responded really well to a good cleaning. A soak in restorer, a few trips through the ultrasonic, along with intermittent scrubbing with inter-dental brushes, and it really came around. I tested the handle, to find that is actually Bakelite, and not plastic. Bakelite was most widely used in the 30's and 40's being replaced by other plastics and polymers around the World War era of that later decade. I do, however, not know when Wold stopped producing their handles out of it...
Wold-A2-after-cleaning1.jpg

The unfortunate part of this brush is that the very fine threading of the air valve is damaged, and it will not hold a spring to operate the air valve. I have been able to run air enough through the brush to test that it does spray, but am not 100% sure how well it will perform, just yet. I have been trying to contact Wold in New Zealand via e-mail without success, thus far. I understand the new production is a drop in for any of the older "A" style brushes. In the mean time, I purchased another used A1 to hopefully salvage enough parts off of to get this one up and running. I love this brush! It is much smaller than it looks in photo's, and feels wonderful in hand.

Thats a terrific find there Dave. I have often wondered why Wolds and Thayer and Chandlers look so similar. Hope you get the valve sorted out!

Very nice... Sadly I don't think Wold is quite the company it once was!

Very nice... Sadly I don't think Wold is quite the company it once was!
Many of the companies, I am sure, are just very small outfits - a handful of people at best. I have a friend that just purchased an older A1 that was recently refurb'd by Wold in New Zealand using current parts. He states that it is a very nice brush, and it seems to work quite well. I think these days quality is based on performance of the machines producing parts, rather than the pride workers used to take in their trade. Some of the older work I have been looking at has been stunning quality!

I received a second Wold A2, which I purchased for less than the sum of the parts would cost ordering directly from Wold - with the idea that I would scavenge parts from this one, to repair the first one. Problem is, the brush is near flawless ;). Very nice condition, with very minimal signs of wear on moving parts, and such.
2nd-wold-A2-2.jpg

Handle does test to be Bakelite, so there is some age to the piece. Unlike the first one, this one is a .5 nozzle with the correct needle installed. After a good cleaning, I was able to get the brush spraying. I don't feel like it is working correctly though, and will need to work with it some more. I am a little afraid the nozzles on both brushes may be roached - will have to take a look under magnification, as I don't see anything real obvious.

2nd-wold-A2-1.jpg

It will put out a solid line, just not as fine as I would like to see out of the brush. As a side note - I installed the fine needle into the .5 head, and it will produce some of the finest lines I have gotten out of any brush, but as you start working the trigger back, things get hairy ;) I will work more on these, as they show some real promise.

Lol where do you find these gems? Very nice! I like how the handle is wood colored.

Can you elaborate on what you've done to it?

There is standard cleaning stuff - soak parts in restorer, rinse, run a cycle in ultrasonic cleaner, scrub with inter-dental brushes. Soak in acetone, repeat, soak in lacquer thinner, repeat. By this time the metal work looks a good as it is going to. On this one, under high magnification, the nozzle is out of round, and the leading edge is a bit ragged looking. So, I used a pin gauge inserted through the nozzle to keep the orifice open, while applying pressure with hardened steel rods around the circumference of the nozzle while turning in the lathe. Pin removed, leading edge cleaned up, and now I am slowly working on lapping the nozzle to bring the spray pattern around. Working with various needles, too. Go too far with the nozzle, and it is history, so it is a slow process of trial and error...

Many of the companies, I am sure, are just very small outfits - a handful of people at best. I have a friend that just purchased an older A1 that was recently refurb'd by Wold in New Zealand using current parts. He states that it is a very nice brush, and it seems to work quite well. I think these days quality is based on performance of the machines producing parts, rather than the pride workers used to take in their trade. Some of the older work I have been looking at has been stunning quality!
That friend with the Wold A1, would be me. Now why oh why DaveG, are you "Bob Dole-ing" me?!? LOL I am quite happy with my A1 as it makes my Paasche V look huge! I am a little sad that Wold is no longer with us US ABers as they would hold their own with ANY Japanese company in quality IMHO. Any of you guys that are curious, start looking as it will be worth it.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Back