Raised paint/ frisket

Keifer smeaton

Double Actioner
I was using frisket on a helmet and the paint is raised when I took it off. Is there any way to prevent or fix this? Obviously Sanding would take off the layers. i basically completed to whole art work and took the frisket off at the end. It was base coat white over black and then candy on top.

From what I’ve seen around, when you spray, don’t spray so close to the edge (let the overspray fill it in) will minimise the edge. I’ve also seen a razor blade can be used flat to cut the edge.
a thin tape will reduce the edge unless you pour the paint on,
remove tape asap before the paint has had chance to fully dry.

a soft edge tape method may be of use depending on what graphic you have in mind

Last edited:
Mainly your coats are too heavy . As Jackie said light layer and stay away from the edges the over spray will lay in the color.

I was using frisket on a helmet and the paint is raised when I took it off. Is there any way to prevent or fix this? Obviously Sanding would take off the layers. i basically completed to whole art work and took the frisket off at the end. It was base coat white over black and then candy on top.
Frisket use is a bit of a black art. It is vital to make sure that your initial surface is abraided to hold your first layer of paint, and to make sure you apply and let cure an intercoat clear before using frisket on any layer above the first one. It helps a lot to really plan out frisket use to avoid applying frisket overtop of any painted layer that has not fully cured.

90% of the time frisket lifting paint is caused by using frisket over top of paint that is dry to touch but not fully cured or protected.

We've all lifted artwork at one time or another when learning frisket techniques.

The biggest thing is learning to wait for a full cure, not using an intercoat clear, and applying layers too thick.

One quick and dirty thing you can do to reduce risk is to wear the sticky side by sticking it to jeans or another non fuzzy cloth a few times before use, to reduce the adhesive load.

Mostly tho, it is about patience and waiting for full curing times (48 to 72 hours) before applying frisket over a painted layer.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk

Frisket use is a bit of a black art. It is vital to make sure that your initial surface is abraided to hold your first layer of paint, and to make sure you apply and let cure an intercoat clear before using frisket on any layer above the first one. It helps a lot to really plan out frisket use to avoid applying frisket overtop of any painted layer that has not fully cured.

90% of the time frisket lifting paint is caused by using frisket over top of paint that is dry to touch but not fully cured or protected.

We've all lifted artwork at one time or another when learning frisket techniques.

The biggest thing is learning to wait for a full cure, not using an intercoat clear, and applying layers too thick.

One quick and dirty thing you can do to reduce risk is to wear the sticky side by sticking it to jeans or another non fuzzy cloth a few times before use, to reduce the adhesive load.

Mostly tho, it is about patience and waiting for full curing times (48 to 72 hours) before applying frisket over a painted layer.

should have read, making sure your layers aren't too thick.

Back