For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Razor blade painting

Discussion in 'General Airbrush References!' started by Madbrush, May 3, 2012.

1. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Steve is a really nice guy. Quick to give a compliment and advise. Ridiculously talented and patient. If you "Like" him on FaceBook, you get to see how he goes through pieces step by step.
  2. Steve Leahy

Steve Leahy Young Tutorling

I stumbled across this thread and I just have to thank you guys, it really made my night!

Josh, unfortunately I am from Massachusetts not Tenessee so that handshake may have to wait.

Tony, no real system here, just some adapted techniques to adjust to the small size. It's funny, I find myself using a lot of these techniques on bigger pieces out of habit now as well.

So as Andre mentioned, if you hit my Facebook page, I usually keep a running update on the new paintings that are on the bench. Now that I have found this place, I'll be checking in more frequently as well.

I'll leave you with the latest blade painting that I finished up today. I was fortunate enough to be able to work with an absolutely incredible photograph by Sabine Zehetner of the New York City skyline.

Attached Files:

3. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Air-Valve Autobot!

holy cow, you just crushed my dreams!!!! i was so hoping to get to meet the man and maybe get some pointers..........along with the handshake, crap!!!!! steve you are amazing!!!! that is some of the coolest stuff i have ever seen!!! now lets get down to the meat and taters!!! how do you get such fine detail!!! i will be your long distance journyman!!!! lol!!!
  4. drobbins12

drobbins12 Spider Splatterer

Are you f'ing kidding me Steve. That's all the detail you could get. It's pretty lousy, if I was you, I'd print out a bunch of Mitch's practice sheets and get to work.

Dylan
  5. justme

justme Gravity Guru

Absolutely amazing steve, i got a couple of old magazines with work from you and i'm flabbergasted that you can paint so small, i guess your the only one on this planet who have issues with the expiration date of the paint.
  6. chalkedup

chalkedup Elite Member! Elite Member!

thats mental, whats next? a crowd of faces on a pea? lol
    that really is something special
  7. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

if you look really closely at the top floor window of the building on the right can you see hes done a self portrait of himself waving ;o)
  8. chalkedup

chalkedup Elite Member! Elite Member!

the detail on the Marlborough cig hes smoking is a nice touch lol
  9. ad fez

ad fez kind of a big deal = Admington

i didnt notice i was to busy looking at what his mrs was cooking in the other room raost beef dinner with yorkshire puds..... transcontinental micro art.... fantastic
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Hi Steve, welcome to our forum.

I turned on my computer this morning just to have quick glimpse of what was going on here on the forum, and I could not believe my eyes when I saw your name, the great Steve Leahy here on our humble forum.

I started this thread a while back after seeing your harley in a magazine, I hope you don't mind me posting your photo but I had show the guys what I'd found that just totally amazed me, I know this was not the photo that was in the magazine, the photo I first saw was a green harley but the same process, I found this photo on your website where I spent hours looking through all of your amazing art.

I hope you hang around and help the guys out now and again, I think Mitch will faint when he finds out your here, I know I nearly did, lol

Anyway, it's great to have you here, and I think I speak for everybody when I say that, I do believe our very own Seamonkey almost wet himself. lol

Once again, a very big welcome
  11. Seamonkey

I did............. Shhhhhhh!!!

Josh
  12. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Sorry Josh, if it makes you feel better, I did too.
  13. Seamonkey

Lol, I was just thinking. If Steve moved to Beverly hills and became a finger nail painter for the rich women out there....... You wanna talk about raking in the dough!!!! How much do you think those women would pay to have their kids face, or a portrait of their dog painted on their nails!! If they pay $5000 dollars a pair of shoes they wear one time, what would they pay for that!!! And all you have to do us put a martini bar in there that way they could sit still long enough to do it!!! It's genius!!!

Josh
  14. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I have an even better Idea, if he teaches you and me to paint finger nails like he paints razor blades, and we move to Beverly hills, and I think those women would pay more for their dog than they would for the kids, from what I've seen the majority of them send their kids away and buy extra silly white dogs with bows on, I think all that loot mixed with the Martini's messes with their brain cells, if indeed they have any.
  15. Seamonkey

Touché!!!!!

Josh
  16. deano

deano Young Tutorling

This guy is amazing!! #puretalent#
  17. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Hey Steve , Nice of you to stop by ,
  18. Steve Leahy

Steve Leahy Young Tutorling

Thank you again, it is really an honor. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you all have. The New York blade presented some new challenges and showed me some of the limitations of a few of the techniques that I have been using but I feel that it really is the paintings that kicks the absolute crap out of us that give us the most.

For instance, I tried a scratching technique for the first time that gave me some problems. The Wicked colors have an almost rubber texture on the surface and I was finding that I was dragging and pulling paint up rather than scratching lines. I have a couple of bottles of Dru Blair's illustration formula of Wicked so I'll try that technique again and see if it works. Etching even finer lines with a sharp exacto blade will allow me to tighten these paintings up even more.

Hell I might even get that Marlboro into the painting yet :D
  19. drobbins12

drobbins12 Spider Splatterer

Steve,

If you want to see one of our members videos of using the scratch and sniff method. Check Seamonkeys video out. If you haven't seen any of his work, you should defiantly watch this. I think he has the most talent on this website. This was the first time he tried this method.

youtube video

Dylan
  20. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Just....WOW!