Reactive paints or operator error (most likely)

Laurence

Double Actioner
Hi, been quietly soldiering on with the airbrush skills, got a Sparmax SP35 after my cheapie died and I'm pleased with it so far.
Anyway I decided to make some fishing floats and hence needed to paint the tips a fluorescent colour.
I already had on two coats of Createx opaque white as a primer so set about applying Humbrol water based acrylic diluted 1:1 with 4011 reducer and applied at about 10 psi.

On the first coat I noticed that the pigment seemed to cluster and not be distributed evenly as it dried.
Undeterred I pressed on and applied a second coat. Now some of the floats have very little if any of the problem I have found, but a couple look like they have acne and need rubbing down and starting again as the 'holes' are quite discernable.

I don't know if I tried to lay too much paint down at once, if it was over thinned or if I got the brush too close to the float but I'm sure someone on here will have an idea.

Thanks.

[url=https://ibb.co/QN2HbPh][/URL]

I did wonder as the paint seemed almost to retract away from the surface and cluster. Interesting.

There's a technique some lure painters use to achieve an effect with the paint cause by a reaction between coats. What you have might be similar. Check this out:

Back