Recommedations for regulator

amrogers3

Young Tutorling
Usually spraying at 20 psi and under. Looking for a good regulator I can attach to an external tank to regulate pressure. Trying to keep pressure in tank different and higher than what goes into AB. That way, compressor wont run as long and as often. Compressor can fill tank to 60 psi.

Have a 1 gallon viair tank.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.38.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.38.58 AM.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
Buying FESTO D series you will not go wrong. Even Mini model will be enough for your needs, not saying Midi.
Plenty of them are on e-bay. Buy only never used one.

Just about any cheapo mini regulator/moisture filter will work fine.

If you're worried about an accurate guage, that's different.
ARO is probably about as good as it gets but in reality you won't really end up going by the numbers anyhow.

Thanks Rocket.

Checked that out and been doing research on others. Is there one that goes only to 40 or 50? Hard to read that ARO dial. Typical gauges seem to go to 100 or so which hard for me to dial in.

Desk mounted would be nice like the Iwata FA600 (it attaches to an airbrush holder), however, that one also goes to 100 if I am not mistaken.

Forgive my ignorance, got a bunch more questions.

Here is what I have, got about 10' from tank to fisheye so fisheye should be catching moisture. Would I still need an additional water trap at regulator?

compressor (regulator, water trap)---------- tank ------10'------fisheye filter ----------<<need regulator>> -------- AB

I looked at the schematics for the ARO. cant figure out connectors.
  1. Do you get a choice of 1/8 or 1/4, looks like both connections are female?
  2. says something about relieving or non-relieving option?? no idea what this means
  3. does it comes with mounting bracket? I see one shown in schematic but not picture
  4. any recommendations on finding 90 degree elbow I could use with this? Got limited space and need my hoses to run straight down
Although, from what I have been reading, hooking the 1-30 PSI to a 60 PSI tank will break the gauge. If that is the case, would need 1-60 and at the point would be more difficult to dial in.

Another option would be to go digital. I could put this guy in line, right after the fisheye filter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY2IO6C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3C6Z36G5KMA1U&psc=1

Let's see
The zero to 60 should give an easy read .. and these have quite a fine adjustment.
Running 1-30 won't break it if it's over pressured, but having it adjusted over 30 a lot will change it's accuracy.
As you can see the rating doesn't change, it's still max of 350 or something like that no matter what.

1. It is 1/8 and 1/4 all female

2. Relieving means if there is pressure in the line forward of the regulator at say 40 and you dial down to 30 it will release the extra pressure forward of it.
Doesn't really matter which one for your application. Both need adjusted with the trigger down.

3. I'm not sure, I think so but ....?

4.you can get 1/4 and 1/8 npt elbows at any hardware store

I don't like digital myself but again just about anything is gonna work.

I don't like digital because in a garage moisture ingress, condensation, rough handling....all break them.
Ime accuracy is very expensive and the battery is bound to die at the wrong time 2 years from now if by some miracle it's still working at that point.

Thanks Rocket. This is for inside the house if that makes any difference. Digital would be nice, price point is good as well. Problem is analog always works and like you, not sure I trust digital.

Honestly , it's probably no big deal.
If your not losing money by the hour because of a bum regulator eh , whatever breakage is a minor inconvenience.

If you feel the digital will make it easier for you and it lasts a year instead of 5....I'd say it's worth it.

All in all you'll probably eventually find your regulator to not be a big deal and just start using cheapies when you get used to it and see how little you really rely on readings.

Back