Resources for stencils for newbs

W

whiskeymike

New to air brush painting and wanted to find out if anyone has suggested resources on how to’s for creating stencils. I have a vinyl plotter, so I’m curious if anything exists on using a vinyl cutter to this. Also are there sites where I can download ready made multilayer stencils? Last, is there a recommended video on how to make a stencil by separating colors/highlights/shadows in something like photoshop or illustrator? I’m thinking there must be a good process out there for taking a photo, then using filters or something to separate them into different layers to be printed/cut.

Thank you much for your help.

Btw, I had searched for making stencils on YouTube earlier and didn’t see much, but just tried again using the wording I used here and found a bunch of stuff for making multi layer stencils for spray painting. If you have recommendations, would still love to hear what you’ve seen!

What vinyl plotter do u have? I’ve been searching for a machine to create stencils that is reasonably priced without a huge learning curve myself. And I’m intrigued by the possible use of photoshop too. I’ll be following this thread!

Multi-layer stencils are useless, you don't learn anything with them. You print out the picture you want, cut out what needs to and use that.

I thought about using my buddies cricut machine to print some stencils to paint on my Warhammer miniatures' shields, and stomachs and stuff. I appreciate your post for learning, but I want these guys to look BAD TO THE BONE, so I will likely still do it :D

If I had a plotter, or better yet a laser engraver, I would be making texture stencils. Some are just too intricate to make copying them by hand feasible, like the texture FX stencils, micro dot stencils, and so on. As far as making stencils from images, you just wanna rasterize them in photoshop, Google it

This was made with cameo 3 and non-original blades on mylar. Lighter is for size comparison. So, you can go quite small with plotter.
2-jpg.57288

1-jpg.57289

Back