Schoellershammer airbrush paper ?

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
Anyone use this? I'm reading mixed reviews, I need a paper that's good with erasing and scratching, i can't be buying board and canvas all the time its nutty expensive. Some of the other airbrush paper i was looking at comes in smaller sizes the biggest i think 11x14 or something. This stuff seems to come bigger. If anyone does use it, can you maybe offer a link on where to buy it, or if you know of a trust worthy site.

Or any good alternative paper as that stuff seems like its so much money

I use the paper, the paper is the same as the top surface of the board, and its about 1/3 the price. Are you in the US , I can not remember, if so the only place to get it is the papermill store online. http://thepapermillstore.com. It is night and day better than any other board or paper I have used so far. The only issue is you have to buy a full pad of the paper or a pack of the board. I think the pad of 25 sheets 22x28 paper was about $56 delivered. It will take me quite some time to use it. Cut it to various sizes as you need it.

I liked it when I tried some. I emailed all the suppliers and asked for a sample, and got quite a few sent to me. Some were only little scraps, but quite a few were A5 sized. Big enough to try out anyway, so might be worth doing if you just want to see what it's like, before you buy.

As it happens I just bought a book of this stuff, a little over A3 size pad with 25 sheets, I used one sheet of it about two weeks ago which was fine, it's great for erasing although I haven't tried scratching, but others said it was fine, my problem now is that after just two weeks of storage in my studio it has become extremely warped and i can't get it flat again no matter what I try, I have the same size pad of fairly cheap drawing paper stored in exactly the same way for over two years and this is fine, for the ridiculous price of this stuff I would expect far better, I won't buy the stuff again, and what I do have will be used only for practice.

For a long time I have worked on MDF board because I don't like the ugliness of any paper when it gets a little wet from airbrushing, I had heard that Schoelershammer doesn't do that, but that is so far from the truth, simply saying I'm disappointed with the stuff would a serious understatement.

I would highly recommend a sample before throwing good money at the stuff, also I would assume that the Schoelershammer board would behave much differently but it's costs almost the same for one sheet as it does for a full pad of the paper version.

Thank you all. I will probably send away for some samples. Madbrush, that would suck to have it warp like that, thats concerning. Thanks for all the help guys!

Thank you all. I will probably send away for some samples. Madbrush, that would suck to have it warp like that, thats concerning. Thanks for all the help guys!

Sevastra, definitely try a sample before you waste money, this is what happened to mine after only 2 weeks, in my house, I thought it strange when I was in the shop, the salesman was very particular about me laying the pads truly flat back on the shelf, this is the paper version, I doubt the board version would do this.

You can see here how badly warped it is top and bottom, there is absolutely no question of moisture in my home, as I said all my others papers are fine;

20140710_182345.jpg
I've tried flattening it with clothes iron, but just keep returning to this.

@sevastra where are you from? If you like i would send you one or two sheets to test it brfore you spend a lot of money buying a whole pad.

I used this paper as well but don't have any problems with storage it up right, for scratching it's not good. It hold frisk film and tape ok.

But as said try a sheet first then judge for yourself.
I find bristol board just as good or even better.

I liked it when I tried some. I emailed all the suppliers and asked for a sample, and got quite a few sent to me. Some were only little scraps, but quite a few were A5 sized. Big enough to try out anyway, so might be worth doing if you just want to see what it's like, before you buy.
i like your style squishy, ask for samples. did you get many replys?

I did actually, was pretty surprised at the response! Some sent me samples of other papers they carried as well, as they thought I might be interested, and I also got a couple of bits of the schoellershammer board too.

I did actually, was pretty surprised at the response! Some sent me samples of other papers they carried as well, as they thought I might be interested, and I also got a couple of bits of the schoellershammer board too.
Sweet. Did you just say you were starting up and shopping around for materials?

Sweet. Did you just say you were starting up and shopping around for materials?
I just wanted to try out the 4G, so I searched for as many suppliers as I could find, wrote a polite little note basically saying my airbrushing was usually automotive, but I wanted to extend that to fine art, and did they have any samples of the 4g paper or board,or similar I could try, and copied and pasted it to them all with my address.

I just wanted to try out the 4G, so I searched for as many suppliers as I could find, wrote a polite little note basically saying my airbrushing was usually automotive, but I wanted to extend that to fine art, and did they have any samples of the 4g paper or board,or similar I could try, and copied and pasted it to them all with my address.
Thanks for the reply squishy much appreciated, ill have to get my arse into gear and give that a try. Thanks again [emoji3]

@sevastra

A little update, I removed each sheet of paper from the glued edge that holds them all together, I then put all of the loose sheets back into the pad they came in and left them on the table the pad was standing on in the photo, after 2 days lying flat they all seem to be flat again, which obviously means I can still use them.

I've come to the conclusion that the glue holding the sheets together has shrunk distorting the sheets, all other papers I have in my studio are all loose sheets which I suppose is why none of them were affected.

Obviously I'm chuffed since it's very expensive stuff.

Back