Scott here. Thanks for having me.

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forum! Your car is looking awesome. Warning though... once you pick up an airbrush, there's no going back. LOL

Most of the really small mini guns like the harbor freight or the gun it attempts to copy lph50 use upwards of 3.5cfm , though typical is more like 1.5-3cfm.
With the actual lph50 ($300) running 1.8cfm

This then becomes roughly your bare minimum compressor size, just barely able to keep up for a long time yet with a mini you won't spray for long anyhow.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...l-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-8010/206087284

With the 2hp models being adequate for pushing a mini gun for usually as long as you'd like.

Not a full size compressor, but a jump up in size for sure, these are also very quiet models.

For noisy there are tons of 2hp compressors for around $100 that would do the job.
Hi Robby, I was just looking at that compressor and the
Paasche HG-08 HVLP Touch-Up Spray Gun. Wont break the bank and seems very practical for my current need and more. I imagine with patience and a one panel at a time approach, I could near, do it all. Oh yeah and a lot of practice. I wonder if I could trade a pinky for a garage. One has to 'make do'. I am enjoying this a lot. I have been doing mechanical repairs for years and always wanted to paint. The time has come with this unexpected BMW which fell in my lap for a song. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again,
Scott
PS I erred. I was looking at this one'. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...ric-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-10020SQ/305524515

Hi Robby, I was just looking at that compressor and the
Paasche HG-08 HVLP Touch-Up Spray Gun. Wont break the bank and seems very practical for my current need and more. I imagine with patience and a one panel at a time approach, I could near, do it all. Oh yeah and a lot of practice. I wonder if I could trade a pinky for a garage. One has to 'make do'. I am enjoying this a lot. I have been doing mechanical repairs for years and always wanted to paint. The time has come with this unexpected BMW which fell in my lap for a song. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again,
Scott
PS I erred. I was looking at this one'. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...ric-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-10020SQ/305524515
That would do.
Can't recommend the paasche, it's a $20 chinese gun at $60 bc it says paasche.

Its not even one of the better $20 guns

This is a pretty good cheapy.
https://m.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

If we're talking tight quarters it's the best mini gun under $300 I've used.

If we're talking mini guns in general, for doing a panel at a time. Then it looks more like;
Ani r150
Devillbiss starting line mini
Finex mini

Or at the higher end
Iwata lph50 or 80
Sri pro

For me cheapo minis in .5 or .6 are adequate. They work for 2-2.5" spray patterns.

When we need .8 or 1.0 (full panel). Then only those better guns really work.
As basically all cheapos in that size nozzle can't push a fan pattern wide enough or evenly enough.

Using AE further complicates this.
It's really best sprayed with conventional spray guns.
In hvlp it basically requires a really good gun to get AE atomized well.

This is a pretty good cheapy.
https://m.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

If we're talking tight quarters it's the best mini gun under $300 I've used.

If we're talking mini guns in general, for doing a panel at a time. Then it looks more like;
Ani r150
Devillbiss starting line mini
Finex mini

Or at the higher end
Iwata lph50 or 80
Sri pro

For me cheapo minis in .5 or .6 are adequate. They work for 2-2.5" spray patterns.

When we need .8 or 1.0 (full panel). Then only those better guns really work.
As basically all cheapos in that size nozzle can't push a fan pattern wide enough or evenly enough.
You really know your stuff. How long have you been at this? Seems worth the extra few dollars for say the Devillbliss as an example when it gives you the ability to come out with a quality finish on say a whole fender. I'd end up kicking myself later if I didn't. I really can't thank you enough. I know your expertise took years of hard work. Much appreciated,.
Scott

Robby, Would the three guns you mention be able to handle AE very well? (Not the two upper ends which I assume will?). Better yet, Of all of them, which would you buy?

You really know your stuff. How long have you been at this? Seems worth the extra few dollars for say the Devillbliss as an example when it gives you the ability to come out with a quality finish on say a whole fender. I'd end up kicking myself later if I didn't. I really can't thank you enough. I know your expertise took years of hard work. Much appreciated,.
Scott
Yes definitely worth the extra for something decent to do a panel and you can still kick out the $13 for the HF for tight quarters where you wanna spin the cup.

They would all do well with AE
Which one I'd buy....I'd probably give a different answer on any given day honestly.

I tend to lean toward whatever I've been using lately lol

Painting I've been doing professionally only about 8 years

Thanks for all your input. Are syphon guns a poor second choice for a cry engine bay? I thought the larger cup on them would be a real plus. What is the largest cup for the gravity feed guns? Can any one guestimate square footage coverage of 1/2 oz of paint? Forgive me if my questions reveal my near complete ignorance!
Scott
A syphon feed with .5 Needle / Nozzle would be a good choice too as they do hold more paint. The only reason I suggested the GSI290 over singing like the Iwata HP-BCS is that the GSI has the extra cap to have the choice of a fan pattern. They do have a larger cup than regular gravity fed brushes, but not as much as a syphon. If you don’t think you’d need the Fan pattern option, then the Iwata Eclipse BCS is an excellent brush used by pros all over the world.
As Robby said, the Harder and Steenbeck range has the option of some large gravity cups, but I don’t know much about H&S so can’t really advise you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A syphon feed with .5 Needle / Nozzle would be a good choice too as they do hold more paint. The only reason I suggested the GSI290 over singing like the Iwata HP-BCS is that the GSI has the extra cap to have the choice of a fan pattern. They do have a larger cup than regular gravity fed brushes, but not as much as a syphon. If you don’t think you’d need the Fan pattern option, then the Iwata Eclipse BCS is an excellent brush used by pros all over the world.
As Robby said, the Harder and Steenbeck range has the option of some large gravity cups, but I don’t know much about H&S so can’t really advise you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help and input. Much appreciated---Scott

I can't suggest anything as I don't really spray cars and such but I do have 2 DeVilbiss sri pro's and they're great but expensive. Anyway what i wanted to say was welcome to the forum.

Lee

Back