For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Second Attempt

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Rick Martin, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Rick Martin

Rick Martin Elite Member! Elite Member!

So after mutilating my owl painting i decided to give it another go. This time im just painting the head of the momma.
    Master SB86
    Wicked Paynes Grey
    Wicked Detail Black for the background
    Painted on 5x5 canvass.
    20171129_194122_opt.jpg
    LovesArt, basepaint, doc1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Rick Martin

Ok im not going to do a second attempt. That looks like crap.
  3. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Every painting looks crap when you start out, every single one of us has this problem when starting a new painting or drawing in my case, as you go you are essentially building up and correcting geography until you reach a point where you're happy and think it's done, that point is dependent on the individual doing the job, some if us will stop at what looks like an under painting and others will go a lot further and end up with some serious realism.

I've mentioned before about choosing a brush, substrate and paint and sticking to it, you really need to do this because the constant changes in approach, tools and mediums are what's holding you back, I know this myself from personal experience and I keep saying it not to criticise your methods but to try to make you understand that what you are doing can't work as I found out to my peril, I'm trying to avoid you suffering the same degree of frustration that I did by doing what you're doing.

A plan of attack is also important, you need to have an understanding of how you should or intend to proceed after each stage of you're work, if you don't know how to proceed you're work will look far worse than you think it might be, this is what has beat you here, you have made a start even the best if us would be happy with but now you are at loss as of what do next, this is understandable in the absence of a plan.

You already know that folks here will bend over backwards to help you get where you want to be, so why not just put this one aside for later, start something else (not on scratch board), start a thread with any subject you like and then just let the rest of us talk you through it as you go, while you work take notes of any advice you used at each stage and you can refer to those notes on future projects, this is the quickest way you will learn how to plan you're projects and realise that at each stage you are not looking at crap at all but an important step in the process.
    Dimitris, jord001 and Big John 1945 like this.
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

You will get it but animals and people are the two hardest things to start out with. While the pros make it look easy and effortless that is all due to years of practice time.
    Paint the shapes let the picture take care of itself , If you ever get a chance to watch a Daniel Powers video that saying will be stuck in your head forever.
    So do not look at it and think I am painting an owl look at it and say what shape are the darkest and start on them. But do not try and go full dark just map them in.Then as you go from the darkest areas to the lighter one you will be going back over those darkest one so by the time you are done the darker ones are like they should be.
    I hope that made sense.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  5. Rick Martin

I have been using the same brush and paints for months. Yeah i tried the iwata...sorry didnt work for me. But the paint and substrate i have to use whats avaiable to me. (what i have in my studio). I hear what your saying and i agree 100%. I think my biggest problem is im trying to draw with the brush and thats not how its done. Just like muscle memory, my brain needs to learn this.
    jord001 and basepaint like this.
  6. GregStith

GregStith Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

HEED THESE WORDS!!
    It’s so true. It’s one of the major revelations you come to when airbrushing. People have the tendency of quitting on the work too early. On my current project the sweater was looking like crap but I had to remind myself it’s a process. After the next steps were complete it started to look really good.
    Keep at it. :thumbsup:
    jord001 and Malky like this.
  7. Malky

Just don't struggle to do it on your own, find something that isn't too big and do as I said, let is take you through it, either take notes or just bookmark the whole thread, there is nothing I would like better than to help you through a complete painting that you could be proud of, I know for sure that once you achieve that you'll have confidence to go it alone, I'm in the process of saving for new brush, if I had it now I would personally do a one on one paint along with you.

I forgot to mention in my first post that you also need to stop knocking yourself, that's our job lol but seriously you won't gain confidence by being over critical of yourself, if you really should have been giving up I wouldn't bother to respond here at all, you've got it in you, let us pull it out for you, you are suffering when you just don't need to.
    countess, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  8. Rick Martin

Ok Malky what would my first step be on this owl as it is in the picture above.
    jord001 likes this.
  9. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

can you post up your reference picture, or at least the cropped part of what you are doing. Stick it to the fridge and take a picture from the front, when you take pictures from an angle it distorts it and makes it hard for us to see the detail needed to guide you.
    jord001 likes this.
  10. Rick Martin

Yeah let me get home from work. Got another hour.
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  11. Rick Martin

Ok here is my reference on the refridgerator. Its of the paint i messed up as i was upset and tossed the original out. Forgot i did that and trash day was yesterday so its gone. But this is still a pretty good reference.
    20171130_170755_opt.jpg
  12. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Was this your ref. picture.
    an owl.jpg
  13. Rick Martin

No but thats close.
  14. Big John 1945

Big John 1945 Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Great advice Malky!
    jord001 likes this.
  15. Rick Martin

Very good advice have this thread bookmarked.
  16. Rick Martin

Ok i need some advise. I do not know where to go with this next. I have the dark feathers dark but not as dark as they can go and on the very light areas there is a thin layer of paynes gray.
    20171130_205706_opt.jpg
    jord001 likes this.
  17. Big John 1945

Big John 1945 Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Hey Rick, could you possibly do a close up photo of your work so we can see you strokes and contrasts? Hang in there!
    jord001 and Malky like this.
  18. Rick Martin

I sure can when i get home from work tonight. This one is mainly misted but there are a few strokes in there.even the darker lines are layered mists.
    jord001 likes this.
  19. Malky

The one that's on your fridge, is that your reference or is it your work? If your reference is a pic of another painting it doesn't help much, you should normally be using a reference similar to the one basepaibt pisted, it's important to see as much detail as possible in the ref even if you don't want to paint it all.

I'm still goosed with my lung infection at the moment so was quite tired yesterday evening and haven't had a chance to post, but this attempt being on canvas is going to make it difficult, not impossible but difficult, I'm hoping it's a canvas board as opposed to canvas stretched over a frame as it usually is, if is board your might became to erase away some of the over spray and erase in some texture to to get the illusion of feathers, you would normally be checking your reference for direction and length.

Try to get close up and straight on photos as Big John asked if you can.
    jord001 likes this.
  20. Rick Martin

Malky
    I hope you get to feeling better real soon. Take your time healing.
    jord001 likes this.