Silent Oil or Oil less?

Cordyk

Sheriff Woody (Admington)
I was thinking of upgrading my little compressor but not sure which would be best?
Ok..so my airbrush space is in the spare bedroom as I do not have the luxury of a garage or outhouse, so bearing that in mind it has to be quiet and fairly odourless. Oil less can be more expensive but with oiled ones you can generally get one with a larger tank for the same bucks! But do they after a while give off an oiley odour...which would not go down well with the misses!!
What would you recommend ???

Well sound wise oil-less compressors make more sound. Thats why almost all silent bigger once are oil versions.

I got a bigger oil-less but that means about 53-60dB of noise, not to loud, but can be a real presence if it kicks in too often.
Said that, it is not wise to buy a oil less if it kicks in to often, it will be a short life for such one then. It just will run to hot then, because oil-less type are heaving a harder time to get rid of the heat.

For oder, I am not to sure, most expensive compressors I do not think you will get a real smell off of them. Go to cheap and you will.

Also look for the airflow it produces, not only to the size of the thing.

cordyk I have used the cheap 25 litre oil less compressors that cost around 100 quid all in and they have been ok for 2 years plus .I had a wolf one which would run my full size spray guns for approx 1 minute before cutting in .I have also ran small air fed DA sanders which use a lot of air ,yyes the compressor works hard for these types of usage but at least you have removed the oil from contaminating your air .If running an air brush only one of these would work fine .However on the noise front i would recommend encasing the unit to keep the mrs happy .The other option but more expensive is one of the virtually silent units i am using now which basically has a refrigeration type pump to supply air to the tank .There is no pulsing no moisture or other contamination as i have 3 lots of filters running . I have run my sata mini jet spray gun on it with no problem and even my air fed mask for short periods .These units are very practical but can not supply the larger CFM air volumes needed for da`sanders and the like .

Cordy,
I have the same problem , dont have a room still have to make one in the garage so im brushing in the hall , i bought a Jun air for 120 euro, and im so happy with it, i copyed the text for you The "original" quiet compressor with a noise level below 45 dB(A). The JUN-AIR oil-lubricated compressor is the lifeline of dental surgeries worldwide, and many units are still in operation after 25 years - a testament to the quality and reliability of JUN-AIR compressors.[h=2]Lubricated Compressors[/h]JUN-AIR oil-lubricated piston compressors are — contrary to traditional compressors — not supplied with piston rings. Instead the tolerance between the piston and the cylinder has been reduced, minimizing the heat development and the energy loss.

Hi Cordyk,

i had the same background at the time i have bought a compressor. It was a very hard job. I spend lots of time comparing and even driving to all the stores to compare the noise of them.
My goal was not to spend much money but i failed. There was and there is no chance to find such a deal. Just remember, you get what you pay for!
So i decided to buy an Oiled version because this have a much higher lifetime. So why spend more money for an oil less version with a much shorter livetime. And no! There is no smell!!!
After i made this conclusion i locust to my next goal. THE NOISE !!!! So more driving more comparison ........ I figured out that 44db was to noisy for living room. So i surged further.
And oouups there it was! Just what i was searching for. It was an Oil compressor with 30db. And i promise you will barely hear anything. Its even quieter than a new generation refrigerator.
I normal do not like to make any advertising, but this one i can recommend. Model: sold by Harder & Steenbeck / Hansa Aero-Pro HTC 20A (Manufacture is Werther Sil-Air).

Hope i could help you a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cordy,
I have the same problem , dont have a room still have to make one in the garage so im brushing in the hall , i bought a Jun air for 120 euro, and im so happy with it, i copyed the text for you The "original" quiet compressor with a noise level below 45 dB(A). The JUN-AIR oil-lubricated compressor is the lifeline of dental surgeries worldwide, and many units are still in operation after 25 years - a testament to the quality and reliability of JUN-AIR compressors.Lubricated Compressors

JUN-AIR oil-lubricated piston compressors are — contrary to traditional compressors — not supplied with piston rings. Instead the tolerance between the piston and the cylinder has been reduced, minimizing the heat development and the energy loss.

WOW!!! You read my mind about 10 minutes before I saw this thread I was looking at these type of compressors and thought they will be the ultimate airbrushing tool, although they are more expensive than others the low noise and high air output would be superior. Where did you get yours from for 120 euro??? they are $2850 + tax over here in New Zealand

Thanks to all, I think that had made my mind up and I will go for an oiled silent one. I have been looking at a brand called Bambi that they use in dental surgerys in the Uk. One with a 24ltr tank is about £335 and have great reviews...just need to get saving a bit more!!!
Thanks again, if anyone has got a Bambi it would be good to hear your view.
Cheers
Kev.

Almost all Sil-Air type compressors will be quieter than the Bambi brand. Henche that the Bambi is much cheaper with a bigger tank.

If you got a look at the dental 24ltr tank version, it would make about 55dB noice, thats far to high compared to the Sil-Air types who will range fro 30-35dB.

I got my compressor at about the same stats as the Bambi, only mine got 4 cylinders and no oil with a 25ltr tank. And I got 5-6 times more airflow, and all that for less than half the money...

So save up more for a Sil-Air type if you want to go quiet, or just look for a decent but cheaper version of the Bambi. Just my idea about it.

WOW!!! You read my mind about 10 minutes before I saw this thread I was looking at these type of compressors and thought they will be the ultimate airbrushing tool, although they are more expensive than others the low noise and high air output would be superior. Where did you get yours from for 120 euro??? they are $2850 + tax over here in New Zealand
Bought mine from a company in the Netherlands they are also sold on a secondhand market on the internet http://kopen.marktplaats.nl/ps/doe-het-zelf-en-verbouw/compressors/c243.html?q=jun air this guy is asking 100 euro.
Have to say that the price of $2850 in New Zealand is absurd.
Fer

Cordyk my units are the bambi brand and i think they are great .

Cordyk my units are the bambi brand and i think they are great .

Cheers ferret, I was looking at the BB24v which they say is about 40db that's fine for me, but how often would it kick in? I think a 24ltr tank should be fine? They cost £335 but I have to bide my time until I have the funds or one turns up on eBay ?
The jun-air ones sound good but very expensive.
Thanks to everyone for their input, much appreciated
Kev

Back