Silentaire DR 300

M

Mikej2

CYwvTRA.jpg
hello,

Cycling my hobby interests back around to art and air brushing. Since I was last on here I picked up an Iwata Smart Jet Pro compressor that was packaged for makeup and spray tan use, then house repairs took over and the air brush interests took a back seat to keeping a roof over our heads.

Well, today at a thrift shop, I came across another deal and brought home a Silentaire DR 300 compressor. It has a tank that the Iwata does not have, and it seems to work okay as far as I can initially tell. It needs an airline/hose, the current one with it leaks at the fitting that connects to the compressor. I haven’t verified if the pressure switches turn the motor off yet. Also, for some unknown reason, a previous owner decided to paint the exterior black and covered up a sticker and any other markings. At least they didn’t paint over the I.D. tag which tells me this is a DR 300 from the year N/2000. There is clean looking oil visible in the viewing bubble.

Is there anything I should do to tune up or clean this compressor before trying to use it once I get another hose for it? I assume it has an air filter someplace on it that I haven’t found yet.

I’m excited to get back to practicing again since winter has arrived and the house repairs are in a lull right now.

Edit: apparently I did post about the Iwata compressor back around May 2017 https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/compressor-shopping.18182/ and before photobucket disabled image-linking. Time sure flies when you’re working on a 100+ year old house and trying to keep up with my wife’s 10+ grandkids’s activities. Anyway, getting my mind realigned to airbrushing again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the air filter just looks like a cap, vaguely resembling an old headlight pull switch on the end of a tube sticking off the compressor head.

Otherwise, umm open the tank drain valve..... Should be about it.

There's a ball valve on some that's just off the pressure switch that's likely to stick and need pulled apart to clean if it doesn't shut off but I'd cross that bridge if you come to it.

Is it that little yellow cap to the left of the upper pressure gauge? I pulled that off and it just looks like a thick thread protector with a small hole in the end.

Is it that little yellow cap to the left of the upper pressure gauge? I pulled that off and it just looks like a thick thread protector with a small hole in the end.
No, I think it's probably on the other side of the compressor head. Just at the end of a copper pipe sticking off of it.

Found it, thank you. I had pulled that off in the store thinking it was an oil filler tube cap. Now I know. Is the air filter cleanable, or should I just replace it?

I saw another thread about a hose sold through Northern that I may call the local store tomorrow to see if they have one. Otherwise I’ll visit one of the local Hobby Lobby stores to see what they have.

If the compressor side is 1/4" npt which it looks like it may be, easiest thing is the harbor freight braided hose.

I have no idea if it's cleanable, I don't think so but ....?

WooHoo, I think I’m good to go. Found an airline in the Iwata compressor box that I forgot about. Put that on along with an airbrush and turned the new-to-me compressor on. I played with the regulator while the tank pressure was building up and it seems good. Then the compressor turned off at 120psi, I used the airbrush to bleed off pressure and the compressor turned back on at around 90psi and shut off again at 120. I cycled it a couple times and all seems good. I then held one end of the compressor over the laundry sink and opened the tank drain valve and very little moisture came out.

Yippee!!! I think I’ll be out in the garage this weekend practicing making circles and lines and dots. Thank you for the help.

Congrats Mike, looks like you snagged a bit of a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I would have done extra is change the oil as you don't know how old or what state it's in.
Looks like you have bagged a bargain, and it's quiet!

I'd love to be able to have my silent compressor in the same configuration so it could fit in small places like my Iwata ones do. its ok for the garage at the moment so i'm in no rush.
At the moment it looks like this. simair-comp.JPG Maybe one day I will get around to it.

Enjoy your new stuff and keep painting.

Lee

Thanks. An oil change is in the plans once I figure out what oil I need and then find some locally.

Just make sure its an oil for compressors, usually 30 weight and without detergents in it. I'm sure any place that sells tools will have it. Not sure what stores are near you.

Lee

We have Home Depot, Menards, and a Northern Tool is not too far away. Then there is Hobby Lobby and Michaels for arts/hobby/crafts supplies. I’ll check around, thank you.

You can see it on this one. Upper left corner of the head.
https://www.compressorpros.com/air-....5hp-110-volt-6-gallon-silent-air-compressor/

You are talking about the air filter and not the ball valve or tank drain right?
lol that's the exact same compressor I have. Anyways, drain the oil, I would probably replace the o-rings around the sight gauge, and the oil fill cap. The breather valve like Robby suggested. Cycle it on and drain the tank, a few times, and replace the oil with some synthetic compressor oil, you can find it at pretty much any auto parts store. :thumbsup:

Back