So, I need a new airbrush but... ?

S

st.bede

When I decided to get into airbrushing I thought I would be painting lots of shirts. Due to that conception, I purchased an Iwata bottom feed airbrush.

I now know that I should of purchased a airbrush more in line with how I do art. I am not painting shirts at all. For example, as I work on a painting I tend to jump back an forth through colors. If I am using pens or pencils, I end up holding three or four in my hand. I change out the groups as I move through the painting. I tend to mix the colors on the canvas.

My thoughts are that I should get a Badger Sotar. My question is, should I get the mini or the cup. How much area would the mini paint before adding more paint.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Just to note: I would get a micron but can not afford it.

Thank you

With the SB (side cup) you can get differing size cups, have a ‘side feed’ bottle with cleaner in it to quickly flush colours.

Pick cup sizes for the amount of colour you are going to be using the most on your current project

Thank you for you ideas. I will take another look at Iwata. If my memory is right. I am looking for a fine needle to do a lot a detail stuff.

I made a mistake about the name of the Badger airbrush so to clarify: sotar 20/20 or the sotar 20/20 slim.

:)

Omg... this is so funny. I have not used an airbrush in a long time. I just recently picked it back up. I was looking at my old posts here and found that I had asked basically the same question. Crazy how some things do not change. I am who I am.

I have both the regular Sotar, and the Slim. Well more than just those two, but that is another story... I would make the call for the regular Sotar ahead of the Slim, for the simple reason that you CAN add more color at the start if you want to. The Slim will really only hold 3 drops of paint at a time, which is not a lot. For doing fine detail, more than enough, but when trying to paint a 12x12 square with base color, well, you will be filling a LOT. On the other hand, there is nothing that says you need to add more than 2 or 3 drops to the regular Sotar to work... Just that you can if you want to.

If you want to expand the search into other possible brushes, that is another can of worms - and I would want to know a good bit more about what and how you are painting, and with what paint, etc...

I have both the regular Sotar, and the Slim. Well more than just those two, but that is another story... I would make the call for the regular Sotar ahead of the Slim, for the simple reason that you CAN add more color at the start if you want to. The Slim will really only hold 3 drops of paint at a time, which is not a lot. For doing fine detail, more than enough, but when trying to paint a 12x12 square with base color, well, you will be filling a LOT. On the other hand, there is nothing that says you need to add more than 2 or 3 drops to the regular Sotar to work... Just that you can if you want to.

If you want to expand the search into other possible brushes, that is another can of worms - and I would want to know a good bit more about what and how you are painting, and with what paint, etc...

This seems self indulgent but maybe it will help: I am just painting pictures. I did a solid 9 months of daily hours (at least three to four hours every day), of practice with an airbrush: dots, lines, daggers, and shading. But I stoped due to my abusive wife. It is a stupid story. When I just picked up the airbrush again, it was almost like no time had gone by. I figure I just did so many of those practices, that they became fused into me.

I like to do abstracts a lot. I like to use symbolic icons. Sometimes people ask me if I am a tattoo artist. I like to abstract things. I like painting flowers because I can either paint one that looks like a particular flower or abstract it as much as I like.

There is bunch whimsical-ness (and what could be called) psychedelic elements in what I do. Never really dark themes. If you can dig a music example: think more Phish less Grateful Dead. I really dig the zen doodle stuff. Lots of lines and patterns. I love patterns and textures.

I would like to get more into line drawing. Sometimes I use line drawing techniques for shading and depth. Hence the need for a brush for fine detail.

I love working with watercolors. I would like to try watercolors through my airbrush.

I love using ink. I have done some Japanese style ink painting.

I really love using color pencils to get fluid with color. I like how I can get subtle differences by building up color with the pencils. That way I can get color to ebb and flow yet meld seamlessly together. I just takes too long.

Right now I am just using acrylics through the airbrush. I am not a big fan of acrylics but I like them through the airbrush. I think I would be happy using ink and watercolors.

I have no idea if that helps at all. If you need anymore information, just let me know.

(Since I used a music example, a little background information: I am a trained/schooled simi-professional (or just professional, depending on how you define the terms) musician. Before finding music, I wanted to be a visual artist. I still remember my day dreams if that. However once I started playing music I was hooked. I always did art and was nicknamed in junior high due to my drawings)

Why don't you just multiple cups for your bottom feed? Easier colour changes and cheaper than a new gun.
That was my original thinking. I am using an Iwata HP-BCS. I have a ton of bottles. Every time I change them out is it a process, of blowing out all the old paint. I also have to mix up a bunch of a new color. I guess I could have a huge number of bottles of different tones, and of different color mixtures. For example three different teals. That would be like having a huge set of pencils or pens. Even then I would have to stir up the bottles. That would not be so bad. But blowing out all the paint drives me crazy. I am used to using art pens, pencils, and watercolors. I also like to mix the color on the paper.

This is why I am think Sotar slim. A good question: how similar is the amount of paint a slim holds compared to a medium sized paint brush? So if I needed a wash, I would use my HP-BCS. If I needed to color or shade in smaller areas, or if I needed lots of fine lines details, or texture, I would grab the slim. It would be like having a set of different brush. (Except for the bottle issue). Does that make sense? Am I missing something?

I do not have much knowledge... however, I have some technique. I was obsessed with dot, lines, and dagger strokes.

That was my original thinking. I am using an Iwata HP-BCS. I have a ton of bottles. Every time I change them out is it a process, of blowing out all the old paint. I also have to mix up a bunch of a new color. I guess I could have a huge number of bottles of different tones, and of different color mixtures. For example three different teals. That would be like having a huge set of pencils or pens. Even then I would have to stir up the bottles. That would not be so bad. But blowing out all the paint drives me crazy. I am used to using art pens, pencils, and watercolors. I also like to mix the color on the paper.

This is why I am think Sotar slim. A good question: how similar is the amount of paint a slim holds compared to a medium sized paint brush? So if I needed a wash, I would use my HP-BCS. If I needed to color or shade in smaller areas, or if I needed lots of fine lines details, or texture, I would grab the slim. It would be like having a set of different brush. (Except for the bottle issue). Does that make sense? Am I missing something?
I'm talking about cups, not bottles. Iwata does not make cups but Badger, Paasche and Harder and Steenbeck makes them. Except for the little higher pressure, it is just like using a gravity feed.

an airbrush can be used to accomplish all sorts of "looks"... from mechanical patters, to wispy watercolors - provided the proper technique is used to get you there. In the end, they are just tools... There is nothing a Sotar Slim can do that a regular Sotar can not do, and visa versa... with the exception of paint capacity. Both will produce finer detail than the BCS, simply due to the smaller needle/nozzle combos. You will get to know that I am not one that is limited by brand, or type of brush - I love them all. If you spend the time getting to know your tool, no matter what it is, you will learn to accomplish what you seek to accomplish.
clover painting1.jpg koi1.jpg pine warbler1.jpg

an airbrush can be used to accomplish all sorts of "looks"... from mechanical patters, to wispy watercolors - provided the proper technique is used to get you there. In the end, they are just tools... There is nothing a Sotar Slim can do that a regular Sotar can not do, and visa versa... with the exception of paint capacity. Both will produce finer detail than the BCS, simply due to the smaller needle/nozzle combos. You will get to know that I am not one that is limited by brand, or type of brush - I love them all. If you spend the time getting to know your tool, no matter what it is, you will learn to accomplish what you seek to accomplish.
View attachment 59381 View attachment 59382 View attachment 59383
Amazing! I knew you as an airbrush wizard but you are just as accomplished an artist. Wow!

Using cups would save some money and eleviate the need of another airbrush. Saying that, there is no reason why you couldn't buy a second ab. Not too many though or you could get AAD

Lee

I'm talking about cups, not bottles. Iwata does not make cups but Badger, Paasche and Harder and Steenbeck makes them. Except for the little higher pressure, it is just like using a gravity feed.
I did not know you could add cups to a bottom feed airbrush. That is a very interesting idea. I can get a lot of detail with my brush. I am sure I could get even finer stuff easier with a smaller needle size but money is tight.

That is one of the most beautiful Koi that I have ever seen. I has a depth and transcendence that gives it power. Wow

Thank you for your thoughts and help.

That is one of the most beautiful Koi that I have ever seen. I has a depth and transcendence that gives it power. Wow

Thank you for your thoughts and help.
Thank you. I can not really take credit for the Koi - while i did paint it, I found the image in a google search. I have been unable to identify the Japanese artist that originally painted it to give proper credit. My attempt was to use the airbrush, to create a watercolor.

Back