Space needle development

The stumpy dual taper on the wouters needle makes me suspect it simply broke easily with a proper micron taper on it....but I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

I've just remembered one thing. That's why all my needle tips have an arch shape, that makes them stronger against bending and I think of better shape than dual taper. BTW, doesn't Iwata makes dual taper? I do not have any stock needle as they come, all been customized and I don't want to open those new packaged, so can't say.
And I'll finally find time to write about my way of the stock needles customizing. It seems, I promised to do this a year or smth ago:D

I've just remembered one thing. That's why all my needle tips have an arch shape, that makes them stronger against bending and I think of better shape than dual taper. BTW, doesn't Iwata makes dual taper? I do not have any stock needle as they come, all been customized and I don't want to open those new packaged, so can't say.
And I'll finally find time to write about my way of the stock needles customizing. It seems, I promised to do this a year or smth ago:D
In short they aren't what we think of as dual taper except for the .5 needles.

They sort of arch in to a sharp bullet point at a different length on the taper depending the nozzle size.
So the larger ones are essentially just like if you ground the point back a bit on a smaller one and arched it in.

Last edited:

They sort of arch in to a sharp bullet point at a different length on the taper depending the nozzle size.
So the larger ones are essentially just like if you ground the point back a bit on a smaller one and arched it in.
Jedi master strikes again :D
giphy.gif

I just need to have a look at it to understand what they are.

Well, material didn't arrive Saturday as expected so the first available day will be pushed back.
The package seems to have stalled so I'm not sure when it will arrive..thus when the available date will be but I'm sure it won't be too long.

Well, material didn't arrive Saturday as expected so the first available day will be pushed back.
The package seems to have stalled so I'm not sure when it will arrive..thus when the available date will be but I'm sure it won't be too long.

We have an expression here that awaiting makes the pleasure bigger:) I feel that your needles will give that to the users, the pleasure to use.

Wow! Glass engraving/airbrush needle combo. But where are these needles? I don't mean K33.
Looking at a bit of history....it appears these needles of Eddie's eventually evolved into the k33.

The same people involved then are those involved now....minus Eddy Wouters.

Without actually getting involved in the whole and seemingly debated history of it, I would be inclined to call the needle in the picture a precursor or beta version to the k33.

I think that kind of answers where they are.

Part of the patent is a nozzle made of matching material........but I'm a long ways from being able to produce those for sale....if ever...they are so thin walled that machining such a hard flexible material requires a very special method just to rough it in and a very labor intensive method to finish it.... It will take a lot to make such a thing economically viable.... Working a thin walled hollow tube is a whole different animal.
So that's been back burnered...while I work on some other things.

Part of the patent is a nozzle made of matching material........but I'm a long ways from being able to produce those for sale....if ever...they are so thin walled that machining such a hard flexible material requires a very special method just to rough it in and a very labor intensive method to finish it.... It will take a lot to make such a thing economically viable.... Working a thin walled hollow tube is a whole different animal.
So that's been back burnered...while I work on some other things.
Look into PIM moulding there is no machining with that process and because of the size of the components varation should be under 2 decimal places and possibly using the same material as your needle if you are using the process I am thinking of I understand the need forbeing discrete but thee HS is an ideal canidate for it
pop your website into your profile if its allowed

Last edited:
Problem isn't really doing it, it's doing a complex shape in small quantities and not having to charge a small fortune for a nozzle that won't justify that kind of money.
Basically comes down to the same reason a lot of tech is not applied to airbrushes.... I can't currently and may never be able to do a quality nozzle in large enough quantity to make it affordable...or even necessarily justify the potential benefit.......so far anyhow.

An established manufacturer who thought it was going to have enough demand might be able to pull it off.

Oh yeah! Thanks! I do need to put it on my profile or signature, or both .

untill 4 months ago I worked as an injjection mould designer cnc programer for a low volume injection moulding company you maybe surprised at how resonable the right company can be they would acept orders of 500 shots at a$1.50/shot under 100grams they were not concerned with how parts per shot there was You are looking an injection moulding under 10 staff with in house tooling making and under 15 moulding machines I made moulds for as low $5000 We did not do PIM but i was looking into it befor I left

Last edited:
untill 4 months ago I worked as an injjection mould designer cnc programer for a low volume injection moulding company you maybe surprised at how resonable the right company can be they would acept orders of 500 shots at a$1.50/shot under 100grams they were not concerned with how parts per shot there was You are looking an injection moulding under 10 staff with in house tooling making and under 15 moulding machines I made moulds for as low $5000
I keep looking occasionally... I'm not ruling it out or I wouldn't have included it in the provisional patent but so far it's out of reach........for me ....

Air brush design needs a good shake up and from my view you are looking at the right parts first,,, next part laminar air flow good luck and good work
Thank you! There's some other stuff I'm working on but...it takes time.
Your thinking right up my alley about the air flow :)
I'm working on that....though at this point I have no idea if what I've dreamed up is actually going to make a significant improvement there....

Thank you! There's some other stuff I'm working on but...it takes time.
Your thinking right up my alley about the air flow :)
I'm working on that....though at this point I have no idea if what I've dreamed up is actually going to make a significant improvement there....
It's a tough one but the guys that designed the fountains in the new Oceans 12 movie in Las Vegas come up with some clever ideas and I know it's a contenious subject but I believe the ability to vary air speed via the trigger is an improvment along with an adjustable aircap to paint nozzle

In other words, It just costs too much for now. Especially to PIM
Each project needs some investment to be profitable on a long run. While maybe for one piece when you are selling doesn't seems high, but the one which is making(investing) and selling needs to invest bunch of money to be profitable and to have good price for their customers. Not including all other cost which are associated with new small business. Business also need to have in ''reserve'' money for the time when selling is not on it's peak.

Me for example if I would have a choice investing 5k in one project or 5k in 10 projects/each worth 500 bucks I would rather invest in 10 projects. Because 5k one project is much greater risk then 10 projects. If I get burned with 5k one project I am screwed, But on other hand if I do 10 projects and I get burned at 5 and 5 make it, I am good. I didn't lost anything.

It all depends how big is business, but starting small business is like walking on ice. You need to watch out for your ass. And I read a lot of topics about businesses which were starting with 1k worth of equipment and they needed some time to start rolling those first stones.

Don't mind me, I was just thinking out loud lol

Back