Sparmax Arism Viz, how to get the best out of it?

lifeofbrian77

Young Tutorling
So I just bought the Viz because my other (8 bar w/tank))compressor sounds like a pneumatic drill, and I wanted something quiet which the Viz definitely is. The problem is I am having trouble getting good flow and coverage on lexan speed shapes in practice for painting my RC car bodies. I use Createx paints with cheap airbrushes, I have gravity feed from .2-.5 and a bottom feed from .3-.8. . I have tried a few today with only candy flowing ok-ish.

Did I just buy the wrong compressor?

VIZ:
  • Low maintenance, oil-less single piston
  • Working pressure: 0 psi-50 psi (3.4 bar)
  • Silver Bullet Plus moisture trap.
  • Air flow: 16 – 18 lpm (0.57 – 0.64 cfm) at open flow
  • 1/8 BSP outlet on compressor.
  • Size: L20 x W12 x H18 cm (7.9″ x 4.7″ x 7.1″)
  • Weight: 2.5 kgs (5.5 lbs)
  • Voltage: 220-240V 50Hz
  • Noise level: 45±dB

You say working pressure for the compressor is up to 50psi. So when you set your working pressure do you press for air and set the pressure? or just set the regulator to whatever you want? If so what real pressure do you have? Next question is what createx are you using? Createx original?, Wicked/Wicked detail?, Createx Illustration?
I don't know the compressor but it may be that it wont push out enough air to do what you want to do. Or it could be the paint, airbrush or a combo of all three. I could be totally wrong, just trying to get as much info as possible. Every bit of info helps us to work out whats going wrong.

Lee

When I pull the trigger on my .3 the pressure reads 25psi. I tried a bottom feed with what I think was a .8 and that only read 10psi when I pulled the trigger. I used Auto Air candy in the .3, which was usable but not good, I tried Auto Air Aluminium base medium in a different .5 but that was a no go. I then tried Auto-bourne sealer silver in another .5 but no good.

Thanks.

You say working pressure for the compressor is up to 50psi. So when you set your working pressure do you press for air and set the pressure? or just set the regulator to whatever you want? If so what real pressure do you have? Next question is what createx are you using? Createx original?, Wicked/Wicked detail?, Createx Illustration?
I don't know the compressor but it may be that it wont push out enough air to do what you want to do. Or it could be the paint, airbrush or a combo of all three. I could be totally wrong, just trying to get as much info as possible. Every bit of info helps us to work out whats going wrong.

Lee

When I pull the trigger on my .3 the pressure reads 25psi. I tried a bottom feed with what I think was a .8 and that only read 10psi when I pulled the trigger. I used Auto Air candy in the .3, which was usable but not good, I tried Auto Air Aluminium base medium in a different .5 but that was a no go. I then tried Auto-bourne sealer silver in another .5 but no good.

Thanks.
this is so confusing -.- Maybe it's me and my low blood sugar. I am eating mixed fruit compote and cream. yummy :D Maybe it will not be confusing later, but I doubt it. Did you try that airbrush and all of those setups with your big loud compressor?

you need to set the pressure which plays nice with your airbrush and your reduction.
So in theory: 25 psi my 0.35 nozzle and needle , wicked paint 10drops, 5 drops reducer - 20 psi wouldn't push enough paint, 30psi would push to much
35 psi my 0.5 nozzle and needle , wicked paint 10 drops, 3 drops of reducer - 30 psi wouldn't push enough paint, 40psi would push to much

this is just an example.

Sorry, I'm a noob at airbrushing so can't explain things very well. :confused:

The Viz compressor reads 50psi at max and obviously drops when you spray, it has no adjustment apart from a bleed valve on the in line filter. With a .3 airbrush it drops to 25psi and with a .8 needle it drops to 10 psi and that's all the compressor can give. So I suppose I'll have to use a small a needle as possible to keep the pressure up?

Cheers.

this is so confusing -.- Maybe it's me and my low blood sugar. I am eating mixed fruit compote and cream. yummy :D Maybe it will not be confusing later, but I doubt it. Did you try that airbrush and all of those setups with your big loud compressor?

you need to set the pressure which plays nice with your airbrush and your reduction.
So in theory: 25 psi my 0.35 nozzle and needle , wicked paint 10drops, 5 drops reducer - 20 psi wouldn't push enough paint, 30psi would push to much
35 psi my 0.5 nozzle and needle , wicked paint 10 drops, 3 drops of reducer - 30 psi wouldn't push enough paint, 40psi would push to much

this is just an example.

Sorry, I'm a noob at airbrushing so can't explain things very well. :confused:

The Viz compressor reads 50psi at max and obviously drops when you spray, it has no adjustment apart from a bleed valve on the in line filter. With a .3 airbrush it drops to 25psi and with a .8 needle it drops to 10 psi and that's all the compressor can give. So I suppose I'll have to use a small a needle as possible to keep the pressure up?

Cheers.
we use this:
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-Airbrush-Compressor-Regulator.html#SID=1994

your compressor should have this... If by any chance doesn't have this, which seems strange, you put than on the end of your hose before your airbrush.

so example: compressor - hose - regulator - airbrush hose - moisture filter (optional) - quick connect (optional) - airbrush.

cheaper version: example: compressor - hose - regulator - airbrush hose - airbrush.

but your compressor should have regulator...

you need to put all the info you have when asking for the help. Including with the link to compressor or a picture. More info, easier from people to help u.

https://www.sparmaxair.com/product_detail.php?id=1&r=59

now I understand... Sry my new friend, I can't help you here. If you would ask me before you bought this I would say don't do it. But I am not good with those small compressors. They look like compressors for airbrushing nails to me. Maybe cause I use the big loud one :laugh:

But I see on video, that guy has a little thing which help him limiting how much air he gets out of it. Is it possible you just wanna to much out of that compressor? I wonder... I am sure people here will know. :)

Last edited:
One thing is you might need a .35 or bigger to spray the aluminum paint it will clog up the smaller size nozzles due to the aluminum flake in it

Back