Spring, trigger, paper, paint: questions.

S

st.bede

First of all, thank you for reading this post.

I feel like I am about to step up a little notch in technique/ability. So far I have just been using cheap vellum bristol type paper.

One question I have is, is it possible that given the substrate that it is easier to make mistakes? The flip side is: if I get really good at dealing with the cheap paper I have, using the right/better paper (quality smooth bristol) should just make my life easier?

Second question: I am not liking com art paint too much. It could be user error, but the paint seems to splatter too easy, even at low pressures. Maybe the paint it too thin, because I am barely applying the trigger, and getting significantly thin lines. IDK

This move into question three: springs? What are the differences? Why would someone change them? Do you only change the spring that relates to paint flow? Do you also change the spring that relates to air flow? Stiffer or less tension? Why? What for?

Next question: replacing trigger? What, and why?

One more important question. I feel most comfortable holding the airbrush with both hands and hovering over the painting. Slow super straight line are difficult. Does any one have an example of how to hold the airbrush, while letting your pinky rest on the paper? Or, can I just slowly perfect thin straight line with out the pinky touching the paper. (How the hell does the Russian women achieve those perfect line)?

I am using an Iwata HP-B+

Again thank you for sharing your insights and thoughts.

Hello
1) Com-Art are great paint for beginners, I use it and works perfectly.
2) Slow an steady lines are very difficult and takes time and practice to master them, no mater if are done with one or two hands. Alinas exercises are great to know your paint and airbrush combo.
I do them when I dont have to much time to paint.
cd317df9cc01718151c3d5ab213b39f6.jpg
I scaled down to 10x12 cm.
3) more glossy the paper, more difficult it is to work with.
Take your time and don’t despair, it takes time to master this little beauty!
You have and awesome brush!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1) You get splatters on some substrates more then on others. So it's more room for mistakes. For example on t-shirts I don't get splatter lol
2) if it splatters can be cause of to much psi, to much reducer or you can just hate each other :D Try with primary sets from other paint? You don't need to buy bunch. Maybe few of golden flow, few of createx , few of .... And when you find what you don't like you can send those to me :D
3)How many springs do you have? :)
IWATA.jpg

you change spring so you get softer feel, less finger fatigue, better feel

4)So you make your airbrush experience better for yourself. If you like custom trigger then why not if you like airbrushing?

5)

This is for starters until guys come to chime in to your thread. I suspect I messed something with spring part :D I have soft springs, but I forgot how it feels when I had regular ones...

"Better" substrate only makes it more difficult.
Com-art is about as easy as it gets.
Springs and trigger changes are just tuning for comfort/ can sometimes help control.
Pressure,reduction and trigger control are key.
Make sure your nozzle is thoroughly clean too, a little gunk in there can easily delay paint initiation by enough to kill your ability to do a slow thin line.

By the way, I noticed that I bent my needle a tiny bit. I am guessing that is why I am getting some splatter.

By the way, I noticed that I bent my needle a tiny bit. I am guessing that is why I am getting some splatter.
Splatter can also come from bad technique, if you are using it like a rattle can spray paint then you are suffering with paint on the tip being blown onto your work the next time you press for air.
If you can post a pic of your splatter we can probably give a better diagnosis.

Fine straight lines come from practise and more importantly confidence. the more confident you are the faster you will go, the faster you go the straighter and finer your line will be. Do a few practise lines on scrap paper before attacking your art work.
Touching the art work is more to maintain the same distance to keep consistency of the spray 'pattern' ei, the closer you get the finer the target on the surface.

Com art is good for beginners, but not that good for Synthetic papers, I’m not sure what surface you have though!
Triggers effect the effort required to use them, the lower they are the less effort is required,
Pulling thin straight lines consistently requires tons of practice! I believe at least five years of constant practice, I could be way out, I’m going on my own experience here, I’ve seen people use a Muhl stick instead of a pinky to help them - with lines :)

Back