Stencils

Dalboy

Double Actioner
Being new to this hobby this may have been tried before. Anyway while I am waiting for my paints to arrive I thought I would make some simple stencils what I came up with was using the heat sealed plastic wallets that you put single sheets of paper into. Normally you place the single sheet document into the plastic wallet and put it through the machine to seal together. I did this but not using the paper so I ended up with a thickish plastic sheet. I taped my pattern to one side and used a Pyrography machine that I have to cut it out which is the fancy soldering iron for burning patterns on wood I did have to turn it down quite a bit.
I ended up with a reasonable stencil which can be cleaned.

Check out a few of the WIP or step by step posts. I just cut a one use paper stencil/mask/shield for the works. If I want to use it more than one I use a stiff card or light plastic. I have a set of French curves made of the synthetic yupo paper.

This is just something I had at hand and gave it a try how long they would last will be something that time will tell. Unlike many on here I don't use the airbrush that often but have found a wealth of information and some very helpful people here, as most of my work is woodworking related. I still however pop in now and again to see what some of you post.

This has been done a lot by the pro as well as the novice. The pros do it to have it in a file for big project that may at some point have to be redone due to the car or bike was wrecked , The novice do it mainly because they have the equipment on hand . Depending on the material you use they should last a long long time unless your'e using urethane paints on something that the solvents can eat through.
I use mylar scrapes that would get toss out here at work some of them are good sized piece. But that is mainly for paying jobs that one day may have to be redone.
most time it is paper if it is a one off , I also have a couple of sets of french curves and the essential 7 , the bird and the Pharoah
The are all just tools of the trade LOL .
But good to see you making good use of your waiting time for the paint .
A lot of the pro have moved to vinyl cutters so all they have to do is keep the project files and pray their computers do not crash if they do not have a back up system .But vinyl cutters and supplies are costly .

Check out a few of the WIP or step by step posts. I just cut a one use paper stencil/mask/shield for the works. If I want to use it more than one I use a stiff card or light plastic. I have a set of French curves made of the synthetic yupo paper.
Great mines think alike! Yupo works great for stencil's

I would like to give this a try as soon as I complete my equipment.

Back