Substrates

S

Shredder

Im wondering what others use for substrate panels to airbrush on?
At the moment Im using 600mm x 900mm MDF panels that I paint with 3 coats of artists gesso.
Im interested to know what others use and why.

I started out pretty much the same way. If it would sit still it got painted on. Mostly that meant any board or sheets lying around got painted. I then started buying cheap canvases from cheapie shops. Now i mostly paint on 1.2mm steel sheets that I etch, prime and seal. I can buy a 2.4 x 1.2 sheet and have it cut to what ever sizes I want for $50. Apart from the time in prep and extra materials it gives a great finish when cleared and polished. But i want to be able to paint on bikes and cars when i get good enough so i figured that was the way to go for me.

I use mostly canvas.....it's cheap and it's ideal for my style of painting, plus my client bass asks for it....I've used Schoellerhammer Illustration board also, it's very smooth and very white and it's great for eraser technics, fisket and if you're careful scapel technics too.....I also do a lot of wall murals so I guess that would be on plaster, but some plasters are smooter than others....I've tryed a number of different boards like Cherico board, MDF but I normally don't go any bigger, unless someone asks, than 500mm x 400mm...but I still find myself always going back to canvas, I just love it.....:)....I've never tied metal....

I use canvas with several layers of artistic gesso.. I sand it to get a smooth surface. I already painted two works in a steel plate and it is great.. but heavy.. I have a aluminum surface to try and I think that have a great potencial, just a matter of imagination! :eek:) But canvas is where I feel more confortable to paint, and where I paint most. But a work made on metal sheet with a good clear coat, gives you an amazing finish. I will start to paint on it often.

I use unused aluminum printing plates. For me they are free (tis my night job... Printing), and they cut easily with a straightedge and a razor knife, so I can cut them to any size I need, as long as its smaller then 46 1/2 x 22 1/2. It also keeps me used to working on metal. I've worked on a lot of paper too (any guesses where that came from? Lol) but theres a big difference between the 2 and I'd just rather stick with metal most of the time. I base coat my panels with cheap rattlecan paint from Walmart that I pay like a dollar for. Right now it's all practice anyway.

I use unused aluminum printing plates. For me they are free (tis my night job... Printing), and they cut easily with a straightedge and a razor knife, so I can cut them to any size I need, as long as its smaller then 46 1/2 x 22 1/2. It also keeps me used to working on metal. I've worked on a lot of paper too (any guesses where that came from? Lol) but theres a big difference between the 2 and I'd just rather stick with metal most of the time. I base coat my panels with cheap rattlecan paint from Walmart that I pay like a dollar for. Right now it's all practice anyway.
i phoned up several printers trying to get my hands on there used plates but all are on contract with a scrap dealer so they would not give me any...... bummer!

I used to practice on watercolor papers and illustration boards. Now I use canvas mostly, it just makes it feel more artistic (and easier to hang on the walls). I do a lot of shirts(fabrics) mostly because I like showing off my art so I thought the best thing to do is where your art.

I also use MDF panels that im putting on base coats with the spray gun first. Then i also use Airbrush paper 250g, and what i kinda like most is a Dibond panel.
They are mostly used for outside shop signs and such stuff. Its a thinn ( 2mm-4mm) aluminum on the front and back and a plastic core between them. The
aluminum is already like powdercoated and just has to be scuffed with a scotch brite and then its ready for paint.

I use the boards you get with cheap flatpack furniture, that they use to put in the back of drawers, shelves wardrobes etc. So when anyone throws anything like that out I grab it. You have to give it a good couple of coats of paint first cos it's a bit absorbant, but it works great after that and it's free.

I've got a mate Keveen Cordreekson, he loves that Schoellerhammer Illustration board - just wanted to put that out there for anyone that has access to it.
We have just straight 'illustration' board here in Aus - it's great stuff to do monotone portraits and erasing techniques also. Would recommend over reducing paints and lower air pressures for these too!

I use foam-core board alot - it's used in picture framing - it's basically two pieces of cardboard glued to a piece of thin foam. the only disadvantage is that it buckles with too much paint - but it's super absorbant and licks up the water based. loves it.

Thanks guys ... lots of great ideas and suggestions there. Although Im pretty happy with MDF at the moment I think I might give canvas a crack ... I also want to try a guitar but will wait till I get a bit better with my skills ;)

Ampersand claybord or Aquabord if it is going to be a nice finished piece for the same reasons as others use the illustratiion board all those techniques can be used on it. The claybord is smoother finish than the aquabord but I really enjoy painting on either surface. I also have a water color pad and come up with projects all the time. I really would say it all depends what you want to accomplish with your painting.

Ampersand claybord or Aquabord if it is going to be a nice finished piece for the same reasons as others use the illustratiion board all those techniques can be used on it. The claybord is smoother finish than the aquabord but I really enjoy painting on either surface. I also have a water color pad and come up with projects all the time. I really would say it all depends what you want to accomplish with your painting.
I had not heard of the claybord. I found this video while researching ... looks like a really good panel to work with!
[video=youtube;b4Ngh8TxB3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Ngh8TxB3Q[/video]

I have a big pad of cheap newsprint I use for conceptualizing or screwing around with, but when it comes to what I like I haven't made up my mind enough except to say everything. As long as it's something different I'm all for it. Stools, cars, bikes, refrigerators, clothing, people, saw blades? lol. Like someone said earlier, if it will sit still long enough... When I first started off I got all hyped up to purchase all kinds of art supplies and find canvases so that I could start new projects, but I've found I'd rather let the canvases collect dust and paint my studio itself item by item top to bottom. I've seen people who AB on razor blades but I can't say I'm quite ready for that yet. lol One things' for sure, for practice, anything you can get for free or close to it (newprint) works great.

Back