Thayer Chandler A Elite

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I post this brush because they don't show up often, and people may not know what they are ;).

This is Thayer Chandler AA Elite. I would guess at the mid 1990's on this one -

Thayer Chandler A Elite_1.jpg Thayer Chandler A Elite_2.jpg
They are relatively simple brushes. They have no needle packing, so do require cleaning a bit more often than some other brushes, but this was typical of the line - the Thayer Chandler Model A. They also feature an adjustable regulator head, which allows you to screw the front cap in or out to adjust suction across the nozzle, thus altering the spray pattern. It allows you to tailor the brush to the paint sample, rather than having to reduce the paint to accommodate the brush. Trigger action is soft, and smooth.

This one arrived to me wearing a Medium head and needle, but had a bad nozzle. I changed out the head assembly for a "fine" from the same time period, and matched a needle that I had in inventory. The brush sprays a wonderfully smooth pattern, and will pull a fine line all day long with very little effort.

Thayer Chandler A Elite_3.jpg

Last edited:
Will it work without the cap? How do you pick the needle?
No, the cap is integral to the airflow over the nozzle. This brush pre-dates most of the modern acrylic airbrush paints, but tip dry was not really a huge issue with the paints it was designed to use (watercolor, guache ink, etc...). I've been using it with E'tac and have never had to withdraw the needle to clean the tip... I do occasionally open the needle wide, and blow it out with full air and paint, off to the side of my work piece, though... old school;)

DaveG,

As per our last phone con, you have a Thayer & Chadler AA Elite. The flattened band at the top of your color cup is the giveaway. Still a mighty sweet brush as I have said before and better than most of what comes out of Chicago at the moment!
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

I have one of those,and it is a very nice tool. I bought it having no idea what it was but did a little research and finally figured out that you have to use the nozzle to regulate the spray. It's a cool airbrush.

Back