The DCA handle

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Wanna give your iwata, gsi, richpen,peak, whatever , the ability to have the needle pulled without removing the handle like on some badger designs?
Here's the option to do that.
http://www.airbrush.com/mobile/BearClaw-Double-Cut-A-Way-Handle/productinfo/110802/
Seems like a handle some people would really like.
Personally I don't like cutaways, and I'd like one better if it simply had the attachment come out the back of a solid handle but...that's me.
There some sort of interesting history on this part.
I found on @DaveG Facebook that sometime in the 90's iwata offered this option. They were sued by badger and quickly dropped it.
On the airbrush.com site they give badgers patent number and state they are selling this part with badgers permission.
I examined the patent and found the offending claim was that badger patented having an attachment on the needle that protrudes through the rear of the handle. They are now offered on peak and richpen brushes.
You'll notice on the site though that the brushes it comes on appear to have had their needles shortened or have the attachment installed deeper so that the attachment doesn't protrude.
The needle attachment simply goes on with a set screw.
If you have a look at the one on Dave's Facebook you'll see how it protrudes enough to grab it normally.

Last edited:
I will mention here, based on what they have listed, that this handle is for brushes with an 11.5mm body diameter - like the Eclipse. Iwata was selling them on the HP series, which has a smaller diameter body and different thread pitch in the body vs. the Eclipse. i also wonder if it comes with the part that does set screw to the back of the needle - I would assume so but... on the original Iwata HP deluxe set ups I have on hand, you can indeed set the needle piece to a depth where there is enough hanging out the back to grab at any time, with the trigger all the way forward. Careful if you drop the brush! If it lands on the back, it will push the needle through the nozzle.
33720380_1534519139987002_1923966304306331648_n.jpg

I will mention here, based on what they have listed, that this handle is for brushes with an 11.5mm body diameter - like the Eclipse. Iwata was selling them on the HP series, which has a smaller diameter body and different thread pitch in the body vs. the Eclipse. i also wonder if it comes with the part that does set screw to the back of the needle - I would assume so but... on the original Iwata HP deluxe set ups I have on hand, you can indeed set the needle piece to a depth where there is enough hanging out the back to grab at any time, with the trigger all the way forward. Careful if you drop the brush! If it lands on the back, it will push the needle through the nozzle.
View attachment 56406
I wondered if it was a body diameter thing or just the needle diameter for the attachment that limited the model fitment. Thanks Dave.
And in that case , it won't fit any gsi's that I'm aware of.

I think if I got one , an eclipse or c3 is all I would have it on my self.
It would drive me nuts on a detail brush.

well, there needs to be two different ones - one at 11mm with .50 threads and a 1.2mm needle end, and one for 11.5mm with .75 threads and a 1.4mm needle end... looks like Peak has continued with just the one size set. 11.5mm w/.75 threads, and 1.4mm needle end.

yeah I am not one that actually ever uses the ability to remove the needle from a Badger brush as a plus - I actually will generally clip the back of the needle so it does not stick out the back of the handle, as the risk of damage outweighs any potential benefit - for me. I just have never found a need to yank my needle out during regular use - generally can just pick the needle, or use a q-tip with solvent at the tip.

I found that feature kind of handy working on murals, I would just loosen the chuck, pull the needle back where i wanted it and blast away , single action style.
Without switching to the mini gun for smaller fills.
For me I think it would be most ideal on a bcs or something.
Makes sense why a lot of the makes with the ball at the end of the needle have those tails on the handle though. Never thought about that, the ones I was using were cheap knockoffs then though.

Yeah, even the cheap knockoffs had those, but on them they could only preset maybe half the travel, which just didn't fit how I was using them at the time.
The TC has it too, but as you know, its not going to be blasting out paint no matter what.

Simce theyve come up im seriously considering a peak c3.1 though.
Maybe we'll see soon how close it is to the bcs.
Thought about the c3 but, don't really need a gravity feed .35 right now.
The 270 can throw quite a bit of paint when opened up surprisingly.
Gonna be a while though, unless I snag one of the contracts I've bid...

Last edited:
Noob here, so no judgement lol. I have open cut handle for eclipse. What would I gain with this one?
Thank you in advance :)

Back