too much paint upon closure

M

Menno

Hi all,

I recently ran into problems with my airbrush (Iawata HP-CP). It gives more paint the moment I close the handle, so every line ends with a thickening (my hands remains in motion).

could it be that the inside of my airbrush needs to be cleaned?

cheers,

Menno

If you only give air, will paint come out?
Probably your norzel is dirty. or damaged.
If you don't get paint if you only give air. maybe your spring tension is too low.

when is it time to clean?

If you look at the front of the airbrush at the needle and think the needle was much longer.
And you have a soft feeling when you place the needle (no metal on metal feeling)
It's time to clean up :)

Sounds more like a technique issue... very common when you’re new (or experienced and tired lol )
You need to keep moving even after the paint is off as there will be residual paint on the needle that will be a blob if you stop moving before it’s all off. It takes time to build muscle memory, lots of ‘line’ practise. Many of us do a few minutes of dots and lines before starting a paint session to ‘warm up’ your fingers and test the paint is flowing well.

This may help illustrate what the technique should be. Image credit to ‘airbrush.com’

D3B61448-0EDD-41EA-8CC8-25C8F0355E62.jpeg B2DF6653-FF82-48E2-A923-94A783EFB979.jpeg

Another issue is your paint is too thick. Increase your air pressure or thin your paint some more. I had this problem when starting out and learned this from someone on here. Now when this happens, I know to thin a bit more....
And triggering properly also helps....

As with any kind of issue, yes a good cleaning can’t hurt and should be done at the end of every day.

Second, like JackEB said, check your technique. Make sure you are smoothly moving the trigger forward to cut off paint flow while still holding it down so the gun releases air, THEN release pressure on the trigger. This should result in a spray line which tapers off smoothly. Also make sure you maintain a constant hand motion during this process as you may unconsciously be slowing down your hand motion at the end of your spray stroke.

Also if you are drawing the trigger far back to create a large spray patter, remember to smoothly move it forward during the end of the stroke. Don’t snap the trigger forward as this can both damage the nozzle and cause these kinds of problems.

Back