Top trigger or below trigger

D

Dgreene

OK as you can figure my background is automotive painting. So that being said my muscle memory on my middle finger is to pull the trigger on the paint gun while my index finger is pointing at the target. So my question is does anyone think it would be a easier transition for me to use a bottom trigger airbrush or should I just keep on getting use to the ones I have

Thank you In advance

OK as you can figure my background is automotive painting. So that being said my muscle memory on my middle finger is to pull the trigger on the paint gun while my index finger is pointing at the target. So my question is does anyone think it would be a easier transition for me to use a bottom trigger airbrush or should I just keep on getting use to the ones I have

Thank you In advance
I can understand your point. There are a number of trigger style airbrushes available, but I think you'd be better off pressing onward with developing new muscle-memories for the airbrush(es) you have. After all, you're doing a different style of work: small details and small areas rather than large area cover coating.

Thank you In advance

I would recommend trying to get used to what you have, onky for the reason that there aren't many airbrushes to choise from that have a bottom trigger, those tgat do or have have conversion o9tions are usually larger nozzles so for fine detail you'll find yourself restricted to top trigger.

When you do get used to an airbrush you'll soon notice that part of trigger control involves pulling the trigger back at different distances, I would imagine this could be harder to achieve with the middle finger, being a painter and decorator by trade and having worked on yaughts I've used my fair share of spray guns and held them exactky as you say but mainly because my finger finger was stronger so got less tired when spraying for long periods, but if you find it hard to get used to the standard airbrush trigger you can check the the bottom trigger options, at the end off the day its just what yiu find most comfortable, for example, when I do small detail I use forefinger like most others but when I have blast something in I often use my thumb because my forefinger gets tired trying to hold the same position for a long time.

Sam

Thank you In advance
Same boat here beinv much more used to spray guns but IMO at the end of the day you'll have waaaaay more control with the normal trigger on top Airbrush type than the pistol trigger action and be able to get much more detail.
I'd personally think youll be handicapping yourself if you stick w pistol trigger.

Unlike using a spraygun where you are aiming at an area and not really a pin pointed target it may be a harder to get use to then most people would thing.
Getting use to the top trigger is easy compared to using the drop trigger in my opinion. I do have a TR that hardly ever gets use unless it is stencil(Vinyl cut letter) for a paying job .

I came from the same background. The be perfectly honest they are different tools to do a different job. It's an easy skill to learn.

Although I don't come from a spraygun background, I agree with Mark above. It's intuitive to mentally categorize airbrushes and sprayguns together because they both spray paint, but that tricks you into categorizing their ergonomics together, which isn't correct. It's better to think of an airbrush as a pen or pencil that sprays rather than a small spraygun.

So reframe it in your head it as adapting pen/pencil muscle memory instead of spraygun muscle memory, and it'll look much easier.

Back