Trident paint mixing help?

Stu Dale

Double Actioner
Could someone help me with a colour mixing problem please? I am using Trident paints and trying to mix Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna. I have watched a couple of youtube videos but didn't really get what I was looking for.

I do have a more detailed sheet at home that doesn’t seem to be available online anymore but won’t get my hands on it for a few hours but I’ll upload pics ASAP :)

Thanks JackEb, I have that sheet and have found it helpful s few times, doesn't quite have what I am looking for this time though. Your more detailed sheet sounds promising.

Check those 3 videos. He made 3 of them, watch all of them from start to finish. So you will need to go on you tube and go on other 2 videos.

Now I wonder @Nada
what are those, I accidentlly found them?

is this some kinda ''battle'' for fun? Or something? :)

Sorry Stu, I can’t locate the papers :( the place is a bit upside down at the moment and I really really need to tidy up lol,

when I first started trying to understand color theory (and I’m still trying to get my head around it all, but I found many online color tools that helped me ‘play’ without wasting paint.

try this one and you’ll see what I mean. Eg: mix equal amounts of R:B:Y and you’ll get brown, you the tweak it with more yellow/red/blue to get the shade of brown you need

https://knowpapa.com/cmt/

Sorry Stu, I can’t locate the papers :( the place is a bit upside down at the moment and I really really need to tidy up lol,

when I first started trying to understand color theory (and I’m still trying to get my head around it all, but I found many online color tools that helped me ‘play’ without wasting paint.

try this one and you’ll see what I mean. Eg: mix equal amounts of R:B:Y and you’ll get brown, you the tweak it with more yellow/red/blue to get the shade of brown you need

https://knowpapa.com/cmt/
oh, he needs browns?

maybe this will help you a little... Unfortunately I have bad phone and also light is hitting folders which produce shine... But, maybe you get a ''path-guidence'' what you wanna try with trident.

WP_20191116_001.jpg WP_20191116_002.jpg

I know. I posted those pictures just as a ''guide''. I don't know how good he is with airbrushing and mixing. I don't pay attention on forum members skills.
Trident is a totally different paint system due to with the standard 8 colors you can go from having an opaque to a candy depending on how you mix them . Mainly you have to be good at mixing primary and secondary colors to get the color you want , So unlike wicked , Golden , E'tac which are true artist pallet being you can buy Burnt umber , sepia and such you have to mix them from scratch.
Depending on how much carrier you add the color in will determine what effect the paint will have when sprayed such as acting like a candy.
I have played with the Trident paints when they first came out and I was given a sample to try, But due to cost to get it here in the USA it was not a system I was willing to invest in.

Thanks for the reply's guys. The colour chips are a good idea, I should start doing my own, and I am cheap :). I really like the Trident paint it seems to flow really well but I may look at another line. I am not having much luck with scratching techniques on Yupo paper, will give clayboard a try, it did work quite well on a piece of Dru Blair paper that I had though. Maybe just a paper change. I am OK at mixing colours, I just thought there would be a standard for those colours.

I just thought there would be a standard for those colours.

All jokes aside now. Airbrush paints aren't the same like for example automotive paints. Here is like you would play lottery...

I got info from a store owner year ago, that one manufacturer has colors in big barrels and they pour out color out of them. But I do wonder, how they mix that color in those barrels and what happens with the color which is sitting at the bottom...

This was told to me, but I don't know if it's the truth.

Etac EFX is another paint system that works well, I know it can seem like you’re throwing money all over the place but it really is the only way to find what suits you. You could always but a couple of bottles of createx in the colours you seek. There’s no law that says you have to use only one paint system per painting :)

Etac EFX is another paint system that works well, I know it can seem like you’re throwing money all over the place but it really is the only way to find what suits you. You could always but a couple of bottles of createx in the colours you seek. There’s no law that says you have to use only one paint system per painting :)

Do you buy your paints in Australia? Think I might buy a few bottles of each. The only thing that bothers me about the Createx is having to use reducers and retarders. I always buy too much and then have to bin it. Probably not kept in the best conditions either, in a shed in Queensland.

If I would start over I would buy few primaries sets from different paint systems. I think this would be the cheapest and best route for me and I could find what I like. The rest would be used for practising.... I have bunch of tip dry with createx colors, but I also don't have my needles polished... I need to polish them first and see what happens.

I need to open thread about polishing so I don't screw something up. I don't have a clue what is the right way to polish. This way? -.-

edit: Thread opened :)

Last edited:
Back