U.S. art supply reducer experiment

Justin Sane

Double Actioner
Hey guys!
So my fiance, bless her, thought she would be sweet and order me some paint and reducer without me knowing.

Sweet, huh?

Well, as most of you know, not every product is good for every application, and some cannot be mixed due to compatibility issues...so, bless her heart, she ordered me u.s. art supply reducer for my Createx paints, not knowing much about airbrush paints or makers.

So, not wanting her to feel like she wasted her money, I tried it withy Createx paints and BOOM! INSTANT SEEDING! DO NOT MIX THESE BRANDS, LOL. At this point I could see she felt bad, as if it was her fault...it obviously wasn't.

So I kept experimenting with every brand of paint I have, and low and behold-it worked REALLY WELL with Aztec airbrush paints, and though they are thin to begin with, sprayed 100% better with this reducer than with anything else I have tried with them. SUCCESS!!! If you use Aztec paint, I recommend giving it a try, it's pretty inexpensive stuff, works amazingly!

That being said, I continued on with my little trial and error session.

The u.s. art supply reducer will also work with Com Art from Madea, and though it didn't seem as clean a mix as with Aztec, it would still do the job in a pinch if needed.

Anyway, I guess this thread is a slight lesson for newbs who may not know or have access to all the right brands in order to match reducers, like my Micheals store-doesnt even carry reducer for the Aztec brand, the only airbrush paint they carry. I just wanted to put this on here, not sure if it has been covered in the past, just in case anyone else has a similar person in their life who has great intentions though no knowledge of what they are doing. Sometimes, things work really well for one water based paint, and terribly for the next. Don't be afraid to try it!

Spray on!

Good information and it is best to keep brands together but I have had seeding using the 4012 with wicked yet I have yet to have seeding using just the 4020 .
My local michael's stopped carrying any airbrush paint. So I have Hobby Lobby which carries Wicked and candy 2o and standard Createx and a little local shop called pygmalions which carries golden high flow .

I have heard a lot about seeding with Createx wicked, some using 4012 some saying it happened with I think it's 4011? I may have that one wrong, but I'm a bit worried, I plan on grabbing some wicked today to try out, and only have a little 4012 remaining...perhaps I'll see if it seeds, then buy new reducer after I've tried it. Do you have any issues with illustration using any of the reducers?

May I also add to the mixing the art supply with Aztec-I had an entire cup mixed, and I did not experience tip dry really at all. So not only does it reduce Aztec well, it also stops tip dry, which Aztec is pretty bad for usually (at least in my studios environment)

Back